Past or future?

JuanOscar

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If really the starfighter is coming, can we have the F-104G (the german variant) please? The A2G capabilities would be really appreciated! :o)

AFAIK that's the variant that served in Spain. And with the INS, and the radar with ground mapping & terrain avoidance modes, quite a complicated plane to simulate.

Edited by emg

Ah F-104? Now that will be a real disspointment, another interceptor just like the MiG-21. Maybe one day someone will create a real fast multirole.

its not just a intersepter, its a over engineered flying wing that has all sorts of gadgets crammed everywhere, its also a plane thats partly trying to kill you or break on every turn. its not just a intersepter, its people who think they have more brains then they do trying to make a "plane of tomorrow". its a plane so bad that erich hartman got discharged from the west german airforce for saying how terible it was. it was a spectacular failure so bad, more so because it had the potential to be sooo good.

sure it on the outside looks like the mig21, but the same could be said about the saber looking just like a mig 15. or a su33 looking a ton like a tomcat.

Next project a F-104G? I would be very disappointed.

The main reason I bought the C-101 instead the Hawk is to support the AVIODEV because it was my understanding that your next project would be the Mirage F1, the plane I´m really waiting for. Or at least the F-5B. You have a lot of renders of Mirage F-1 and F-5B in your account of Facebook and none of the F-104 or other planes, so, I think that was a a reasonable assumption.

I wouldn't buy the F-104, sorry. There is an amazing F-104G for FSX (SSW), but there isn´t a good simulation of the "abuela" for any simulator.

Edited by Quinto

I really hope its past.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

While it is not a favorite of mine at all, F-104 would be very interesting to fly. And could potentially be a period match for MiG-21 too (although, I believe it would be rather inferior in most aspects, it would still prove an interesting match).

I would definitely preffered to have a Mirage F-1 but, F-104 is unique and highly interesting too.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Hi,

A couple of notes regarding choice of aircraft:

We would all love to fly modern combat aircraft, but a big problem is that if you go for anything much after 1980, you start hitting major walls concerning availability of data for whatever reason.

Given that DCS demands highly accurate, maximum detail aircraft, then whilst a particular airframe might seem possible, it may be packing avionics that are used on later variants. There is a reason the IFF box is still only eye candy, yet it is the reason that "friendly" SAM doesn't shoot you down. You can totally ignore the IFF panel and be fine.

If this wasn't enough, there is then the manufacturer license to consider (assuming you can contact them in the first place, and that they will grant you one).

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

Next project a F-104G? I would be very disappointed.

The main reason I bought the C-101 instead the Hawk is to support the AVIODEV because it was my understanding that your next project would be the Mirage F1, the plane I´m really waiting for. Or at least the F-5B. You have a lot of renders of Mirage F-1 and F-5B in your account of Facebook and none of the F-104 or other planes, so, I think that was a a reasonable assumption.

I wouldn't buy the F-104, sorry. There is an amazing F-104G for FSX (SSW), but there isn´t a good simulation of the "abuela" for any simulator.

You bought the C-101 because you thought AvioDev would build a Mirage, based on Facebook images which they never actually commented on, or gave any indication they were developing? :doh:

You do know that the girl doesn't actually come with the car, regardless of what you see on the billboard, right?

I bought the C-101 because I want DCS to follow the FSX model of many developers creating planes, with DCS concentrating on improving the core simulator - so I bought this as well as the Hawk. I had no interest or knowledge of this plane previous to this project at all - but I've been very pleasantly pleased with it.:)

Besides - there's nothing to say that AvioDev can't eventually do both.

I suspect that that F-104 is probably a lot easier to develop given that it's no longer in service, has lots of published technical data, and there are at least 10 of them in civilian hands.

So ... nothing to say the Mirage project couldn't get started in parallel, as it's likely to take a lot longer. F-104 might come out first, and the Mirage later.

That is if and only if AvioDev has an intention of doing a Mirage; I have no clue if they are, or not.

Hi,

We would all love to fly modern combat aircraft, but a big problem is that if you go for anything much after 1980, you start hitting major walls concerning availability of data for whatever reason.

Given that DCS demands highly accurate, maximum detail aircraft, then whilst a particular airframe might seem possible, it may be packing avionics that are used on later variants. There is a reason the IFF box is still only eye candy, yet it is the reason that "friendly" SAM doesn't shoot you down. You can totally ignore the IFF panel and be fine.

If this wasn't enough, there is then the manufacturer license to consider (assuming you can contact them in the first place, and that they will grant you one).

Best regards,

Tango.

So we're stuck in low tech aircraft? Just like in Strike fighters series.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

You bought the C-101 because you thought AvioDev would build a Mirage, based on Facebook images which they never actually commented on, or gave any indication they were developing? :doh:

You do know that the girl doesn't actually come with the car, regardless of what you see on the billboard, right?

I bought the C-101 because I want DCS to follow the FSX model of many developers creating planes, with DCS concentrating on improving the core simulator - so I bought this as well as the Hawk. I had no interest or knowledge of this plane previous to this project at all - but I've been very pleasantly pleased with it.:)

Besides - there's nothing to say that AvioDev can't eventually do both.

I suspect that that F-104 is probably a lot easier to develop given that it's no longer in service, has lots of published technical data, and there are at least 10 of them in civilian hands.

So ... nothing to say the Mirage project couldn't get started in parallel, as it's likely to take a lot longer. F-104 might come out first, and the Mirage later.

That is if and only if AvioDev has an intention of doing a Mirage; I have no clue if they are, or not.

I was tracking this project in spanish simulation forums even before AVIODEV as company was created. If I´m not in a wrong, the original project was to create a mod of the Mirage F1 for FC2. They have at least a dozen of renders of the Mirage F1 and even a video in their Facebook profile, some more renders of the F-5B, and NONE of the F-104 or other airplanes, except, of course, the C-101. As I said, I think it is not a crazy assumption to think they would develop the "Abuela" or the "bicicleta" (their nicknames in the Ejercito del Aire) next.

I have a rule: not to buy planes in beta. I have broken my own rule because I´m spanish and I wanted to support a spanish developer, and because I´m very interested in the mirage F-1, the plane I have seen flying over my head every day since I was a kid. If not, I would waited until the C-101 is 100% finished and I would bought it in one of those crazy amazing discounts DCS makes every three or four months ¿Now they imply that they will do the F-104 instead? It´s OK, but won´t buy it.

Edited by Quinto

So we're stuck in low tech aircraft? Just like in Strike fighters series.

We'll still see high end aircraft - just not as often, and they'll take longer to model as they're noticeably more complex.

It's why we get a string of WWII aircraft, relatively quickly, in the time it takes the model a modern fighter.

Belsimtek has managed to pump out at least three DCS level modules - Huey, Sabre, MiG-15 - and during all that time the F-18 is still under development (new high definition radar modelling, re-working of the PFM to include supersonic flight, etc. - you know, little things that need to be built).

As Tango said, there are also licensing issue with active aircraft - look at the legal hurdles which delayed the release of the T.1A Hawk beta.

So cherish those modern fighters - they're coming, but they will be much rarer.

Modern jets surely are harder to develop and get data on, we all get that.

I guess people are just trying to say the community is eager to get their hands on such modern fighter modules and that whomever releases such a quality module first most likely will be met with great success in popularity, reputation and net revenues if it's done well.

For example I'm sure ED will find out soon that their F-16 will be bought full price by a majority and will be worth every penny they invested in it these past few years. It is coming, it's only a matter of who is going to be now. We can't blame you for going for older specialized aircraft, personally I quite like the WWII era, I quite like the modern era, what's in between doesn't really interests me and I'll just ignore it tomorrow like I'm ignoring today the Mig-15Bis & F-28F Sabre. But I'm just one player and by no means reflect the community. ^^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As Tango said, there are also licensing issue with active aircraft - look at the legal hurdles which delayed the release of the T.1A Hawk beta.

Yes, the Polychop Bo-105 is in an advanced state of development and they still don't know what the German ministry will let them do.

"I cannot use the name BO-105 PAH1A1 because it is copyrighted. We're busy finding some solutions. Since the helicopter is still on duty, we have to be very careful, otherwise -> jail."

Edited by emg

Yes, the Polychop Bo-105 is in an advanced state of development and they still don't know what the German ministry will let them do.

"I cannot use the name BO-105 PAH1A1 because it is copyrighted. We're busy finding some solutions. Since the helicopter is still on duty, we have to be very careful, otherwise -> jail."

I had no idea someone was developing this. It looks like she'd be fun to fly :)

Pretty much any aircraft POST WWII, I am in

Just like me...

And if we are talking about modern fighters, the Mirage F1 (that actually I will fly on DCS with a lot, really a lot of pleasure) made her first flight on december 1966, and is not longer on service with any NATO or major Air Force, so dont´know if it fits like a modern one.

Hi,

Best regards,

Tango.

Sadly a lot of people just don't get that part of it. Regardless, I think the F-104G would be a lot of fun and I'd definitely get it. Taken on an individual basis, it is one of the more interesting aircraft that could be added I think. But as an overall DCS package, I think the Mirage F.1 or F-5E might be better.

This isn't due to the planes being more interesting to me on their own (they aren't), but due to potential middle eastern scenarios where these, along with the MiG-21, MiG-23 (very likely LNS module) and F-14 (more or less confirmed LNS module) fought extensively. I do put a fairly high value on the overall package when it comes to CFS's. It's the reason I'm skipping the ww2 stuff entirely in DCS.

I will buy all mirages,F-106,Harrier,F-4 or F-5.

I buy anything that can fire a missile in F-15's ass and run in afterburner. :)

Or a good opponent for mig-21.

Edited by dartuil

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

If you guys are hinting that an F-104 is in the works I would probably pre-order it the instant it's available. I've been wanting to fly a fully featured Starfighter in a combat sim since forever. It is one of my dream planes for DCS.

The F-104 is a fascinating plane because it's so off-kilter. It was purposefully designed for one thing and that's going fast. This is my kind of plane, and it would make for an interesting counterpart to the MiG-21, a plane that sorely lacks a NATO counterpart.

I'd prefer the modernized Italian F-104S because it's something of a Super Starfighter, but I'll buy any flyable Starfighter for DCS in a heartbeat.

Edited by Why485