[LATER IN EARLY ACCESS] JDAM Auto loft mode

Robin885

I'm not sure where I should post this.

I tried using the auto loft delivery mode for the JDAMs in the Hornet. The simbology is there (I think), but I couldn't get it to work. Is there a tutorial in which I can learn about this mode or is it not implemented yet?

I haven't used it personally, but someone I was flying with yesterday (in MP) said they used it - and that it lofted, but didn't seem to be as substantial as the sparrow in loft mode. Can't confirm or deny first hand.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

It's not implemented yet.

AUTO/LOFT does not literally program the JDAM to loft, that would actually reduce the weapon's impact range. It does provide a loft line, that will only increase range from the mid-low atltitude regime. Lofting a Jdam above a certain altitude is actually counter-productive.

AUTO mode provides guidance to the center of a release point on the HUD. If a QTY of > 1 is selected, then you will be guided to a point where release is possible for all selected bombs and their terminal parameters. If such a point does not exist for the selected QTY (no overlapping release point for all selected bombs), then no guidance is provided. On the HSI, an LAR is displayed when aircraft heading is within +/- 15 deg of all QTY impact points and the aircraft is within +/-15 deg of LOS for all terminal headings (should any be selected). This LAR is a space where all selected bombs can be successfully released. Again, if such parameters are impossible, then the LAR will not be displayed.

It's a very involved system and very cool. I posted a while ago asking when terminal parameters would be made active, and the reply from ED was when AUTO/LOFT was implemented. I hope it's finished after the TGP pointing modes are done. They did say it's in their "phase 1" (if they're still adhering to that) of the Hornet roll-out, whereas things like the AG Radar are in phase 2.

I'm not totally sure what the last guy is referring to on a couple things. He's right, its not in yet, and its generally not very useful. But to clarify...

It is possible to loft right now using manual release mode. In so doing you are relying on an educated guess for proper delivery to get JDAM close enough to accurately guide itself in. With some experience you can get pretty good results with it. But the auto loft functionality isn't in yet.

The actual AUTO/LOFT and FD release modes (the other 2 of three primarily types) are not in yet though. Actual AUTO/LOFT when depressed will provide three options, a 45 (middle), 30 next lowest) and 15 (bottom). These correspond to desired loft angle at release, for purpose of displaying loft initiation cues on HSI and HUD. On HSI, the pull up line is a dashed semircicle.

The HUD in auto/loft will show an ASL line as with most auto modes, but an elevation steering line provides pull up cue for your release point. In practice this mode is not used for pop up type deliveries, and as previous poster said at higher elevation lofting is counter productive. As a result I don't wouldn't imagine this is very high up on ED priority list, maybe right after flight director bank angle cues.

For pop ups just use manual, depending on speed initiate a pull to 30-35 deg pitch say 7nm +/- from TGT. When IN RNG appears pickle. Note escape maneuver must consider you have ordinace below you climbing at similar attitude and speed, so get off heading before rolling over.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

I'm not totally sure what the last guy is referring to on a couple things. He's right, its not in yet, and its generally not very useful. But to clarify...

It is possible to loft right now using manual release mode. In so doing you are relying on an educated guess for proper delivery to get JDAM close enough to accurately guide itself in. With some experience you can get pretty good results with it. But the auto loft functionality isn't in yet.

The actual AUTO/LOFT and FD release modes (the other 2 of three primarily types) are not in yet though. Actual AUTO/LOFT when depressed will provide three options, a 45 (middle), 30 next lowest) and 15 (bottom). These correspond to desired loft angle at release, for purpose of displaying loft initiation cues on HSI and HUD. On HSI, the pull up line is a dashed semircicle.

The HUD in auto/loft will show an ASL line as with most auto modes, but an elevation steering line provides pull up cue for your release point. In practice this mode is not used for pop up type deliveries, and as previous poster said at higher elevation lofting is counter productive. As a result I don't wouldn't imagine this is very high up on ED priority list, maybe right after flight director bank angle cues.

For pop ups just use manual, depending on speed initiate a pull to 30-35 deg pitch say 7nm +/- from TGT. When IN RNG appears pickle. Note escape maneuver must consider you have ordinace below you climbing at similar attitude and speed, so get off heading before rolling over.

Whereas I do agree that lofting is pretty edge case and therefore not that useful, I think auto modes handling of multiple qty release on pre planned targets is very useful, particularly if terminal parameters are involved. MAN mode treats every bomb as an individual, whereas AUTO treats every selected bomb as one pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone encountered the JDAMs not being armed after selecting the Auto Loft option, and then switching back to Manual drop? I've been lofting mine using the profile and they've been hitting but not exploding.