Mig-29 Study Sim? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
Harlikwin
Veteran

Yeah, I mainly thing the "problem" with modern red air is the licensing issues and the fact ED/Chiz doesn't think it will sell. Most of this mumbo jumbo about state sekrits is mostly bunk, literally everyone and their extensive family of brothers has "been inside" a mig29. There are no sekrits at least from a practical military POV, especially true for the older migs, literally every serious military on earth has tested and evaluated them in detail, the mig29 is the pass-around girl of the aviation world. The Su-27 is I think a bit "harder" in that regard as they haven't exported as much, but again, the USAF/NATO has had their hands all over them for decades too. Now "public" documentation OTOH is a different kettle of fish, and thats the other "problem" ED or 3rd parties have to worry about.

The other problem is "core engine" issues. Mig's were doctrinally designed to be used with various GCI/datalink systems that don't exist in DCS at the moment. So its not only adding a plane, its adding a decent IADS simulation into the game. And then the further complexity is to then add different kinds of IADS/GCI networks to the game. Frontal Aviation and VVS were different, as were NATO GCI nets depending on which decade you are talking about.

That being said though, we do have older migs in game, and aside from the F5, no opfor for them. I'd be just as happy to see an F4 or some other older bluefor planes.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 02-14-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:13 AM   #12
Auditor

Quote:
Yeah, I mainly thing the "problem" with modern red air is the licensing issues
Licensing issues is an interesting viewpoint to have on it. Would it be a requirement to get licensed with UAC before simulating any of their planes? I would think the 9-12 era Mig-29 would be too old for them to care, but maybe it doesn't work that way.

Quote:
That being said though, we do have older migs in game, and aside from the F5, no opfor for them. I'd be just as happy to see an F4 or some other older bluefor planes.
Oh man, I too would love an F-4, maybe an F-4E.

I'm not bitter.
Auditor is offline   Reply With Quote