New Forum Rule Question - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
iKyrThraad993i

Default New Forum Rule Question

I understand the rule but what caused it?

Just alittle curious
iKyrThraad993i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
QuiGon
Veteran

What rule?

Edit: I did a quick search and found this: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...05&postcount=2
Is that what you're talking about?

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 08-10-2018 at 04:58 PM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
iKyrThraad993i

Yes that one
iKyrThraad993i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Rex854Warrior

No one would shoot themselves in the leg for no reason, it's definitely nothing ED has control over. Russian legislation, but which one ? All "important" bug reports that need documention for any aircrafts that has a manual available written after 1980, will have to be made to an ED team member via PM, most of the team is Russian and/or will have other things to do, that leaves the moderators, which will have to go through the reports, do the usual but using PM, that no one else can feed except the one who reported, this is a disaster not only for people who take time to make documented reports but also for the hardcore community looking for documentation, in fact for everyone, ED, the moderators, you, me... And for the simulation, people with documents might not bother reporting bugs and since they can't share them.

Moving the forum to another country could work (.ch since ED SA is based there now), maybe a jurist could help us figure out where this all came from .

http://veaf.org/fr/

Last edited by Rex854Warrior; 08-10-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Rex854Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
animaal

If it's anything like industries in which I've worked, I think there's a fairly straight-forward answer.

ED has relationships with multiple aircraft manufacturers. This can be seen in the company logos on various modules' splash screens, and the cooperation that is in place to allow the Hornet module to use the in-plane voices provided from the manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the data used to produce flight models was provided from the manufacturers too.

In order to maintain (and grow) these relationships, it doesn't help to upset these partners. It's doesn't help that the release of a document is technically legal, or whether a link to a document legally/illegally released elsewhere is legal. If the manufacturer likes what you do and how you do it, you'll get far more cooperation.

In the longer term, I think "playing ball" in this issue will serve us better. I think it's a pragmatic decision to disallow recent documents from the forums, but to allow the sharing of them with ED on a non-public basis.

As somebody with no relationship to ED other than enjoying flying in DCS, I will be more than happy to accept a ban on publication of documents if it helps to eventually bring other manufacturers (especially Russian ones) in from the cold.
animaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
Rex854Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by animaal View Post
If it's anything like industries in which I've worked, I think there's a fairly straight-forward answer.

ED has relationships with multiple aircraft manufacturers. This can be seen in the company logos on various modules' splash screens, and the cooperation that is in place to allow the Hornet module to use the in-plane voices provided from the manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the data used to produce flight models was provided from the manufacturers too.

In order to maintain (and grow) these relationships, it doesn't help to upset these partners. It's doesn't help that the release of a document is technically legal, or whether a link to a document legally/illegally released elsewhere is legal. If the manufacturer likes what you do and how you do it, you'll get far more cooperation.

In the longer term, I think "playing ball" in this issue will serve us better. I think it's a pragmatic decision to disallow recent documents from the forums, but to allow the sharing of them with ED on a non-public basis.

As somebody with no relationship to ED other than enjoying flying in DCS, I will be more than happy to accept a ban on publication of documents if it helps to eventually bring other manufacturers (especially Russian ones) in from the cold.
While I see why this would be a good thing, what is blocking the making of russian aircraft isn't the maneufacturers, it's the Russian governement, which has no interest in making documentation available for anyone under any circumstances.

And you happely fly DCS because of alot of people, who devote alot of time to making solid bug reports, testing things,... If recent documentation is needed, the process will be even slower then it is now and you might have to spam to actually get anything done. While popularity on a bug report shouldn't matter, it definetely does on the ED forums. I remember having to PM bug reports before to get them fixed because nobody was looking at them, you might say that now you'll always PM those kind of bug reports, and you will, and so will everyone else, you've now got a moderator that has alot of bug reports to go throught, some are not bugs, very few are massive bugs, some will be people missunderstanding the manual,... other forum members usually point out if something is wrong in a bug report, but with these ones it won't be possible and the moderator will have to painfully do all this work. To be clear, moderators will also suffer from this rule, more work, boring work. Since the bug reports that require documentation are usually pretty important (hence the documentation, takes time to find it), big functionnalities that are incorrect in the sim, the ones that in my opinion make the difference between a good simulation and a near perfect simulation.

The only difference I think this will make is that the aircrafts simulated will have more of these issues, that might never get fixed, you could have no idea it's an issue because nobody has the manuals or doesn't have the will to report the bug seeing how tidious the process is.
Also the documentation that is used to make a module in DCS, is most likely not available to the public and is given under very specific terms to a developper, this rule doesn't change anything in that regards.

Last edited by Rex854Warrior; 08-11-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
animaal

Rex854Warrior, that sounds like a valid point; it's not a side of DCS I know much about.
animaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
AeriaGloria

A few months ago there was a story about a classified Swedish weapon document was shared online by someone affiliated with flight sims. Supposedly when notified by the Swedes they completely halted activity.
I wonder if this was posted before I was looking for the Su-27SK manual...

Here’s one place with the story
https://sputniknews.com/military/201...nse-data-leak/
AeriaGloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
Rex854Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
A few months ago there was a story about a classified Swedish weapon document was shared online by someone affiliated with flight sims. Supposedly when notified by the Swedes they completely halted activity.
I wonder if this was posted before I was looking for the Su-27SK manual...

Here’s one place with the story
https://sputniknews.com/military/201...nse-data-leak/
That was on this forum, the swedish authorities would have managed to make pressure on ED or some Russian administration ? I can certainly understand that ED doesn't want troubles.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
zhukov032186

Ooooohhh, that's not good. I can definitely see some ruffled feathers *wince*
I do solemnly swear to strafe every pilot I shoot down, destructible or not, circumstances permitting, because reasonz. Opponents are advised to assume the position upon landing, or preferably, while still in the air.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote