Keyword training - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
SkipperSMG

Default Keyword training

After addition of the Realistic ATC expansion, my speech recognition suffers significant problems. Basically, it does not understand s***.

I tried to train by using the VAICOM build-in training mode, but something is not right there. VA log does not show inputs at all. When i start the voice recognition first and then sellect the keyword to be trained afterwards, then its doing something but input is recognized as dictation.

I am a little bit stuck because VA does not recognize my calls although i am quite confident with my pronunciation as a non-native speaker and i see no way to train it. Any ideas what i can do?

Thanks in advance

SkipperSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Greyman

check that you have the right mic selected. to be safe, maybe unplug any other mics/headsets

check that the sliders on the EX tab are set to match your installation

As DCS has also recently been updated, make sure that you have done the usual steps: delete export.lua, set custom path etc
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
SkipperSMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
check that you have the right mic selected. to be safe, maybe unplug any other mics/headsets

check that the sliders on the EX tab are set to match your installation

As DCS has also recently been updated, make sure that you have done the usual steps: delete export.lua, set custom path etc

checked. VA and VAICOM work properly as far as concerning DCS. Speech recognition just barely understands what im saying and i am looking for a way to train i might do something wrong but i have the feeling the keyword training is not working as intended.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
hornblower793

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperSMG View Post
checked. VA and VAICOM work properly as far as concerning DCS. Speech recognition just barely understands what im saying and i am looking for a way to train i might do something wrong but i have the feeling the keyword training is not working as intended.

Just checking this is what you are doing to see how to help:

1. Opening the VAICOM config window
2. Selecting the Editor tab
3. Clicking on the microphone so it gets a yellow border
4. When the Microsoft speech recognition window appears making sure the Microphone button is coloured blue and it says listening (if it says Sleeping click on the microphone button and (Windows speech and not VAICOM)
5. Speaking the VAICOM phrase(s) you want to train
Windows 10 Home ¦ Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 motherboard ¦ i5-8600K oc to 4.3GHz ¦ 48GB Corsair PC4 memory @ 3000MHz ¦ Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD for OS, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD for DCS ¦ ASUS ROG GTX 2060 Super 8GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk2 and MCG ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Oculus Rift S
hornblower793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
SkipperSMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornblower793 View Post
Just checking this is what you are doing to see how to help:

1. Opening the VAICOM config window
2. Selecting the Editor tab
3. Clicking on the microphone so it gets a yellow border
4. When the Microsoft speech recognition window appears making sure the Microphone button is coloured blue and it says listening (if it says Sleeping click on the microphone button and (Windows speech and not VAICOM)
5. Speaking the VAICOM phrase(s) you want to train

thats what i do. Some of the keywords get recognized correctly as shown in the speech recognition window. But most of the phrases turn out to be gibberish. Also, there is no indication that its actually training as far as i can see but i dont know it it is like that. Recording samples to the keywords in the dictionary also has absolutely no effect. Im a little lost here

Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
hornblower793

If single keywords are recognised OK and phrases are not it might be worth trying to slow down your speech a little bit and possibly leave small pauses between some of the words.

From your first post, was this working fine for you before the update?
Windows 10 Home ¦ Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 motherboard ¦ i5-8600K oc to 4.3GHz ¦ 48GB Corsair PC4 memory @ 3000MHz ¦ Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD for OS, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD for DCS ¦ ASUS ROG GTX 2060 Super 8GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk2 and MCG ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Oculus Rift S
Old 05-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
Greyman

I just add phrases to the speech recognition dictionary. It seems to work pretty good.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
SkipperSMG

Quote:
If single keywords are recognised OK and phrases are not it might be worth trying to slow down your speech a little bit and possibly leave small pauses between some of the words.

From your first post, was this working fine for you before the update?

This might be a little misleading, in fact it does not matter if a single word or a phrase made of multiple words. It was. But after indrocution of the realistic ATC commands it got worse. I thought i could get around be doing some training but it does not seem to train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
I just add phrases to the speech recognition dictionary. It seems to work pretty good.

I did. Not difference whatsoever.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
hornblower793

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperSMG View Post
This might be a little misleading, in fact it does not matter if a single word or a phrase made of multiple words. It was. But after indrocution of the realistic ATC commands it got worse. I thought i could get around be doing some training but it does not seem to train.

I did. Not difference whatsoever.
Have you tried switching to the VSPX voice engine rather than Microsoft's engine (this worked for someone else yesterday).

Another trick someone else pointed out was in the Windows speech options there is an option to recognise non-native accents.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #10
SkipperSMG

Quote:
Have you tried switching to the VSPX voice engine rather than Microsoft's engine (this worked for someone else yesterday).

Another trick someone else pointed out was in the Windows speech options there is an option to recognise non-native accents.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Yes i did, following the instructions. After 20 min of testing i switched back because i saw no difference.