F-14B and airoprt landing

kievbsm

Hello!

Is it possible to use somehow ICLS for ILS approach in airports which are having this system implemented?

In our manual I saw information that ICLS used for aircarrier approach only.

Also I saw that ICLS has 20 pre-set channels for it. I think that "channel" in that case is equal "frequency".

As I understood these channels are set on the deck when F-14B prepared for the flight.

Aircarrier has only one (may be two for backup) channels for approaching their planes.

We have 20... Maybe it is possible for any reasons to set for example for ICLS ch 20 the frequency of ILS for ground airport's (which has it) RW?

If it is not, then I have two additional questions:

1. I am creating the mission where carrier has on board F-14 and F-18. Using ME to set ICLS channel number 1. Is this channel will be the same for both types of aircrafts (i haven't F-18, sorry - can't check it) or i need to know the ICLS frequency to put it in description for F-18 pilots?

2. Should I know which ICLS channel which frequency is supporting or this information not useful for me anywhere? And if yes where I can find it?

3. Will be appreciated for any help about approaching in fog or bad weather to the airport without TACAN but with ILS (or VOR) equipment implemented.

BR

Edited by kievbsm

Was discussing this the other day with someone, and they mentioned that some airports on the PG map have TACAN equipment and I've seen them listed on the TACAN charts in the kneeboard for some servers.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

There are not any problems with Automatic carrier landing system.

It works perfect! But for a carrier only.

We are talking about land airports.

And in case when you have no TACAN for these airports.

For example, on Caucaus map you have few airports which have ILS but not have TACAN equipment. So, in case you need to land there in the dark night or foggy weather, how you will do it?

Edited by kievbsm

So, in case you need to land there in the dark night or foggy weather, how you will do it?

You probably should know where you are and where you wanna sit.

Set radio and contact ATC. They give you vector to IAF and runway heading. At night you should see the ligths of the active runway from a few miles. You can use NVG to look around. Check radar altitude a lot. In total fog you better divert.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

This will be the same endless discussion as it is already with the F-18:

The F-14 has only ICLS (as the F-18 ), so this means that no ILS will work with this aircrafts.

Nothing will change that. Accept it.

Fly a tacan approach with the kneeboard and radar altitude. That works fine for most bad weather conditions.

@Victory: Isn't there also no ICLS compatible ILS installed on the homebases like NAS Oceana or training facilities?

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

I am not asking about any changes! :huh:

I am asking how I can use existing navigation equipment for my own tasks. :music_whistling:

OK, pilots!

I've got the main idea about it!

Thank all of you so much!

Question is closed for me.

Just as a matter of interest, how did they train Tomcat pilots on this before they went to sea? Did they have arrays put up to train them at some naval bases, or was this all done in the simulator? I was hoping to practice ICLS on a runway without going to the boat first, but if that's how the varsity team did it....

This will be the same endless discussion as it is already with the F-18:

The F-14 has only ICLS (as the F-18 ), so this means that no ILS will work with this aircrafts.

Fly a tacan approach with the kneeboard and radar altitude. That works fine for most bad weather conditions.

@Victory: Isn't there also no ICLS compatible ILS installed on the homebases like NAS Oceana or training facilities?

Those approaches are designed to be flown with baro altimeter. Approach minimums are charted in MSL.