description.lua for customized cockpit - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
-0303-

Excluding a detailed description of what I did wrong I got it to work (online/offline, IC pass) by patterning after how the Su-25T cockpit english mod is structured.

-I used "Spitfire Cockpit Reburb"
-I copied and then modified (*1) the original DCS "Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip" zipfile archive located:
Quote:
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures
with the files from "Spitfire Cockpit Reburb" (overwrote the five originals)
Quote:
SpitfireIX-CPT_DIF.dds
SpitfireIX_1_DIF.dds
SpitfireIX_2_DIF.dds
SpitfireIX_3_DIF.dds
SpitfireIX_4_DIF.dds
-I placed the "description.lua" (automans version) in the
Quote:
C:\Users\myusername\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX\default
folder together with _all_ the unzipped files (*2) from the modified "Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip". I also tried unsuccessfully to place only the modified files from "Spitfire Cockpit Reburb" (as it appears how the Su-25T mod is done) into this folder. Didn't work but your question 4) implies the answer to how to make that work.

Note, the original "Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip" is untouched. Therefore I can switch between the original Spitfire textures or the modified textures by simply moving the entire "Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX" folder structure in or out of
Quote:
C:\Users\myusername\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries
~
Quote:
4. Have you commented out all the lines in the description.lua for textures you did not replace? Otherwise, also 'missing textures' for those.
You can do that? Makes sense. Thanks, I will certainly explore this.

~

*1) Modifying a zipfile is very easy with Windows Explorer. No need for command line procedures as I've seen suggested in other ED Forum threads. Just a) doubleclick the zipfile b) copy files to add/replace into the expanded archive. c) done

*2) Tested to place the zipped (not unzipped) archive here. Didn't work.

Last edited by -0303-; 03-14-2019 at 04:17 PM.
-0303- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
ams999

I see, so you copied all textures from the \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip to the saved games folder?

The nice thing with the description.lua is - you don't need to. The only things you need in that folder are
1. the description.lua
2. the replacement textures (in your case the five you listed from the Spitfire cockpit refurb)

You then comment out every line in the description.lua *not* referring to the refurb textures and you should be done. I would only comment out and not delete those lines in case you need them later on should you want to try other mods.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
-0303-

I changed it to only have the lua and the five modified files (from NAKE350's cockpit mod) in the directory (C:\Users\myusername\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX\default) and edited Automan's "description.lua" file (by commenting out as you suggested).
Quote:
description.lua
SpitfireIX-CPT_DIF.dds
SpitfireIX_1_DIF.dds
SpitfireIX_2_DIF.dds
SpitfireIX_3_DIF.dds
SpitfireIX_4_DIF.dds
Works it seems and pass IC. But I found if I edited out the
Quote:
{"mirror_SpitfireIX", 0 ,"mirrors",true}; --mirrors texture replacement with runtime rendered one
in Automan's "description.lua" the mirrror would show a blue/yellow cross so I didn't comment that line out. I expect the coin will drop eventually to why that is. The mirror is obviously different in that it can be an active surface.

-Found this nice webpage to easily check Lua syntax (without having to learn Lua):
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/execute_lua_online.php
If EXECUTE shows no error syntax is (probably) correct.
-The ubiquitous NotePad++ editor also color codes Lua syntax.
-Found this Ed Forum thread: Tutorial: Introduction to Lua scripting.

Last edited by -0303-; 03-14-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: improved links
-0303- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
ams999

True, the last two lines in Automan's description.lua are also in the original description.lua (unfortunately, only those two, not the rest), so it's always worth checking there as it might be something important and keep it in.