SAU Recovery Bopping

jetstorm96

Excuse me if this is the wrong section for this thread.

I noticed recently that the SAU recovery has been struggling to maintain a constant straight forward flight.

I trim the aircraft so it is fairly stable in straight flight and engage the SAU recovery so that I can focus on other items hands off.

However when it engages, even at level flight, the aircraft points down and lose altitude and the pulls upwards and gains and this continues. It appears to struggle to get level and continues to over compensate by "bopping" up and down continuously.

I don't have a track - this is more general as I swear I never had this issue is the past, though it has been quite some time since I put some time back on this module. I wanted to know if this is a common problem, if perhaps this isn't even an issue, or if this is report worthy.

I will happily replicate and attach a track if needed.

I only use SAU recovery as a level flight button, and only at an altitude higher than 100m from Sea Level, and going faster than 800km/hr. I've managed to fly as low as 20m with it on, but only hugging the ocean, and i slid into the waves while applying rudder.

The behaviour seems to have been broken with one of the last patches. I was just about to make a thread when I saw this one. Was doing the ground attack quick start mission yesterday and tried to use the recovery while level to set up the systems. However even beginning perfectly trimmed, the SAU starts inducing oscillations until the plane just simply stalls out of the air. Maybe I can add a track this evening.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Been flying this weekend and I got to say, I did encounter this, but is not the general rule, so to say. The plane still flies stably or with very minor booping. I think it's something that will eventually disappear if the system is engaged long enough.

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

I logged it as a bug report. Yesterday's flying drew fairly better results, I was going around 300 - 350 knots level and it managed on a couple of times to stay completely stable. However I do note this was after an update or a "rollback" as dcs_updater took the version from .41 back to .40

Will keep monitoring, the previous days it was pretty awful, I had it happen a number of times and ended up having to result to just trimming the aircraft. The aircraft continued to "bop" for over 4 minutes.

Will see!

You did not said in the first post how fast you were going. Was it same speed or slower?

It would of been around 250 - 300 knots. All I know is it occurred all day - I'd hit the button and the plane would bop up and down like a dolphin swimming in water. It didn't matter if I was trimmed for level flight.

I will do some further testing tonight - with the new update.

FWIW, I’ve been using it without any porpoising through several updates. There’s an initial pitch down but the aircraft recovers smoothly and flies smooth and level.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

FWIW, I’ve been using it without any porpoising through several updates. There’s an initial pitch down but the aircraft recovers smoothly and flies smooth and level.

Appreciate the comment, when it works there is the initial pitch down, however on these frequent occasions I experienced earlier this week, the pitch down was more drastic - at least between 5 - 10 degrees and the pitch up it automatically performed to get level was about the same. I had the controls axis display up on the corner of the screen and you could see the stick "diamond" rise and descend on the Y Axis constantly, it never stopped.

However, when I did use it the other day it did function (after the rollback update to .40) - I will test tonight and if it does replicate will gather the track + capture of it happening.