BFT06 Instructor is drunk! Or am I?

Hi! I've got some issues with this mission. A couple of things seem completely wrong.

First, the instructor tells me to perform a stall at a 45 degree pitch angle. Ok but the maneuver gets validated only if the speed drops below 60kts which is impossible to do at this pitch angle! At about 70 kts I lose pitch authority then the nose drops and the bird gets its speed back. I've done it multiple times and always with the same result. A higher pitch angle is needed to get below 60kts, validate the maneuver and move on.

Second, the final thing the FE tells me to do is to practice an emergency landing on the abandoned airfield with both my engines off. Seriously? The abandoned airfield... man the runway is short! It's simply impossible for an A-10C to stop on such a short distance.

I can make a touchdown sure... but to land and then stop the airplane is another story. Plus doing this with your engines off, without hydraulics and thus without brakes, come on! I don't know, it makes no sense. I should be asked to simply chop the throttle to idle and perform a touch and go.

Aside from that, the FE tells me that this is for practicing a forced landing in case of medical problems or bad weather conditions. He is mixing up things because in this situation you would divert of course... but with your engines still running!

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it possible in a dynamic way, pitching up from a higher speed such that you're at +45 before the speed drops?

Correct practice for simulated engine out landing is to set engines idle and open the speedbrakes a calculated amount to cancel idle thrust. Switch brakes to right channel. There's an accumulator that will give braking energy without engines running. With jett'd stores and lower fuel I bet the airplane will stop on a surprisingly short runway although this runs counter to a dual engine failure landing which doesn't spare the runway buffer and may lack speedbrakes, etc. In reality if you had to go down dead on a short runway one might accept the overrun and put the gear up on the ground roll.

The course should probably separate a good plane in a bad situation from a bad plane in a good (or bad) situation.

Is it possible in a dynamic way, pitching up from a higher speed such that you're at +45 before the speed drops?

I tried it and it didn't work. No matter what your starting speed is, if you maintain 45 degrees you will lose pitch authority and the nose will drop at 70 kts. And that's with the engines at full power by the way. It gets even worse at a lower engine setting. You need more like 50 degrees of pitch minimum to make it work. Maybe it's possible with a lower fuel load but certainly not with what the mission is giving to you by default.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried it with the basic airplane, full fuel, 12,000', 220 KCAS. You absolutely can't hold 45 and get it to 60 as pitch control decays. I think +48 is the lower limit.

It's cake at 50-55 degrees. The script doesn't seem to care about pitch beyond 45, just not less than.

At 13,000' 200 KCAS I throttled back and pulled up to +50. At 60 powered on and rode the peak tone starting ~100 knots and recovered above 13,380'.

The script doesn't seem to care about pitch beyond 45, just not less than.

Yep, at least the script doesn't care if you go above 45 so you are still able to do it and validate the maneuver. The only problem here is just that the FE gives you the wrong number.

Compare your flight to this video. It's possible the game engine has changed since this video was recorded but the triggers and mission logic are the same. We are retesting the missions for the new Caucasus map so will make any adjustments needed.

I guess it needs retesting indeed. Down below is the best landing I've found for this mission and one can clearly see that the runway is too short. While it is difficult but possible to get the plane down and not damage it, it seems nearly impossible to not overshoot and run over the grass.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did it with 900m used given a 11,000# fuel load, basic airplane (+gun ammo).

Steps:

1. Pitch for max range AOA.

2. On power failure, APU/APU-GEN on.

3. Spotted X field and determined was in range gear down.

4. Alternate gear handle pulled and gear handle down (below 200 kts).

5. Switched to right hydraulics brake channel.

6. Maneuvered to align with runway at -8 to 10 on pitch ladder.

7. Flaps out with latent L HYD pressure.

8. Speedbrakes 40% with R HYD pressure.

9. Establish glide to approx. 200m before threshold 150 knots.

10. Speedbrakes open as able with energy.

11. 100-50' brake level for threshold.

12. Touchdown 125 knots -400fpm.

13. Simultaneous brakes, flaps up, speed brake open, stick aft.

14. 100 knots crossing the other runway.

15. Stopped just after the last centerline stripe.

I could probably have done better if I would have modulated the brakes instead of leaving rubber. Took a few but I managed to keep my eye line near side of the end of the last centerline.

Well, yesterday I managed to succeed it as well and get a qualified rating. But... with a low fuel load (40% at the start of the mission) and without carrying any rounds of ammo. Also I relit both engines after switching them off. I turned on the APU and APU generator before cutting power to the engine in order to keep electrical systems running without interruption. Then after engines were off --> engine operate switch to motor --> after itt drops below 150°C push throttle to idle --> engine operate switch to normal --> engine restarts itself.

So I kinda cheated a little bit but I managed to land with about 200 -300 ft of length remaining by touching down right at the beginning of the runway, at 116 kts. Doing it without the engines is another story because even if you manage a perfect landing you have no hydraulics and thus no brakes.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

Did someone try this mission in 2.5?

It´s really anoying. I watched the video but it doenst really help as there is a fence now a few meters behind the rundway that lets your plane explode in a fireball when hit at 40 knots and i dont seem able to break her down faster landing at the treshold on 120 knots, flaps fulls, speed brake and emergency brake (that seems to do nothing?!)

The worst thing is that you have to do the whole 30 minute mission with all the boring flight manouvers you already past 10 times over and over again to get to this final part.

Managed it by taking the route Axelerator did and restartet the engines to gain hydrauglic pressure back. With this i hab about 75m of the runway left toching down at the treshold 120 knots, speed breakes already full and flaps full normal breaking.

Could someone pls give a hind how this should be done without hydraulics and overshooting?

• 5 months later...

Main thing here is what is the point to do a no engines landing in a very short airfield when very near you have a longer airfield to land. And also it should not be determinant to pass the qualification, its valid for fun but not to open permission to the next test.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am so going mad with this! Tried it about 30 times. Keep crashing into fence at end of X runway if I land around 150 knots. Much less speed on approach, then I just stall and crash out!

Losing the will.....

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks guys, what did it for me was using the emergency brakes! On to the next mission!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 6 months later...

I land going towards the road at the other end of the runway. If I go off the runway I use the road it may wipe out the nose gear, but that was the only way I could pass with a Q-. I also use the emergency brake.