Lock On Platinum - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #71
Shaman
Veteran

Can someone who already owns LOP make a review what is in the box (photos), and how it installs (screenshots)?
I already own FC2, but maybe I will grab this one. Does it need DVD all the time in to play it?

:: Shaman aka Shamansky
tail# 44 or 444
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #72
Cueball

As soon as I get it I will let you know. Don't think you will need disk to play but I do not know this yet. Should be 2dvd one is lomac other is fc2.
Cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #73
Shaman
Veteran

I have hoped for a single DVD and single installer. Let me know, thx.

:: Shaman aka Shamansky
tail# 44 or 444
Shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #74
KnightHawk

shamandgg: I do not have the ability to give you pics right now (not at my comp at home), but I installed the game last night and can tell you what is included.

when you get the game it comes in regular DVD case (the art work for the game is a box that goes around the case though, not over the case itself.) When you open the case on the right hand side is one disk that contains LOMAX. On the Left hand side is a very thin install guide (more on that in a min.) and under that is another DVD that contains Lock On Flaming Cliffs 2.

The only thing the thin install guide tells you is how to install the game and it explains about the stripped down star-force disk protection system. Specifically that you get 8 activations and 10 deactivation for the game (if you want more info on that let me know and I will be glad to tell you what I understand about it). From what I can understand the LOMAC does not need to be activated. If you don't want to use Flaming Cliffs 2 then you can just play LOMAC after installing it. I have also heard you can uninstall LOMAC after installing Flaming Cliffs 2 but I have not tried it yet. Both disks can be installed to different directories, so it could be true.

As for install: you install LOMAC first (you don't need to launch it, just install it) then put in the Flaming Cliffs 2 disk and install it. After this you can run Flaming Cliffs 2. The first time you go into a mission you are asked to activate your copy (I used a quick mission from the main menu the first time I ran it just to get this part over with). There is a CD Key provided on the back of the install guide that you must enter. When this is done, the protection in the game takes a snap shot of your hardware setup for your computer, and unless something changes to this (new operating system, new hard drive, ect...) you do not need to worry about activating it again, or using the disk while playing.

Does this give you the answer you are looking for? I can not give you a comparison of a non platinum install to the platinum install because this will be the first time I have ever played the game (and in fact, have not yet actually played it, just installed it) If there is anything else I can pass on to you please let me know.
KnightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:21 AM   #75
Cueball

Here ya go. If you are running OS vista or Win7 is best to install it to its own folder example(C:\Eagle Dynamics\Flaming Cliffs 2) same goes for Lock On itself.

1. install lock on
2. install FC2 and yes you will have to activate FC2 only.

then download newest patch then install if you want. I will tell you this any profile you had for your controller will need to be redone. Some of the keys have been remapped to different buttons.

PS no cd needed after install.

Cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #76
Ripcord

In terms of installation, this was the easiest I've ever done, or as easy. Works great, just a matter of learning the key presses and/or mapping them to HOTAS and other gadgets.

Of course this is a survery sim, a very good one, but still not as in-depth as Black Shark is and probably A10C will be. But I don't have any major complaints so far.

Ripcord
Ripcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #77
fredm2002

bought my copy at Best Buy............. $19.99. This gives me three copies.

I wish they would allow it to be installed on two machines. I would pay extra for that.....lol......I guess I just did.

Have a great day EVERYONE!!!
fredm2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #78
Poor mans sniper

Does this include FC1?
Poor mans sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:31 AM   #79
Kuky
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor mans sniper View Post
Does this include FC1?
read few posts above... they said it contains LockOn and Flaming Cliffs 2, so no it does not contain Flaming Cliffs 1... why would you want FC1 when FC2 is out anyway?

Last edited by Kuky; 08-10-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Kuky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #80
viper3two

Ok, so if we have LO 1.12, FC, and FC2, what is the difference between that and the boxed version? I'm gonna buy it anyways, just wondering....thanks....
EDIT: Read the interview. It's the same, just convenient to have it in one package.

Last edited by viper3two; 08-12-2010 at 11:50 PM.
viper3two is offline   Reply With Quote