The Rookie Thread - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Goblin88

Default The Rookie Thread

Well let me begin by introducing myself.. I just bought the game and have no idea what I'm doing. This is my first sim and it's really addicting. I noticed this forum has no home for us rookies so I took the liberty of making one. If any noob questions or simple querks you can't solve by yourself arise, I hope this thread is a good place to start. From what I've seen this sim community is way different than any other game I've seen, and people have been helpful.

If any more rookies out there want to introduce themselves and post up a few questions feel free. Maybe we can get online sometime and work on the basics of flight, navigation and landing/ taking off.

I guess I will start off by sharing a track (no laughing) and ask a question about the HUD.. how come sometimes it starts up and other times I cant seem to bring it up (besides the standby)?

Hrm I hope it's a good start. Look forward to see yall' out there.
Attached Files
File Type: trk Rookie flight.trk (1.23 MB, 1499 views)
Goblin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
ckeating

Warn: (0%)

Welcome. This is one of the most helpful forums I've ever seen. This is one very challenging sim, and I've been at it for a while, like most of the folks here.

Post away, any issues you encounter, I'm sure someone here could help you with.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
EvilBivol-1
Belsimtek/TFC Associate

Send a message via MSN to EvilBivol-1

Just want to point out that we have just opened a "Meet and Greet" thread in the Chit-Chat section. If all you want to do is introduce yourself, please use that thread instead. If you have actual beginner's questions, feel free to post them here.

Quote:
a question about the HUD.. how come sometimes it starts up and other times I cant seem to bring it up (besides the standby)?
If you are following the same procedure, you should be getting the same result. If you are not, than you are doing something different. It sounds to me like you may be forgetting to turn the INS switch up (back panel) and/or not waiting long enough for the INS to warm up.

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.
The Parable of Jane's A-10
Forum Rules

Last edited by EvilBivol-1; 05-05-2009 at 12:11 AM.
EvilBivol-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
HitchHikingFlatlander

Well if theres something I've learned its "If at first you dont succeed, trim, trim again!"

Be gentle this bird dont like being pushed around! As for the HUD I'll leave that to the pros.....
HitchHikingFlatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
spyda

hey mate

welcome to the forums, u will find most here are more than happy to help also the guys from ED play an active part on the forums answering questions and giving every one updates to there current projects which is a nice gesture

good luck with your new purchase.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
LastRifleRound

This happens to me sometimes, not sure why, but i fix it by playing with the brightness knob directly below the HUD.
LastRifleRound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
nomdeplume

The HUD seems to not start working until you have AC power, which either means from ground power or from having the generators running (after you've gotten the engines up to full speed, i.e. idling at 90% RPM).

By "not start working" I mean it's powered off. Once you do have power to it, it takes a while to warm up and become ready. There's a light on the eyebrow panel (bottom left on the right hand panel, I think) that indicates when the HUD is not ready. You won't get any display from it until that light extinguishes. It'll then fade into view shortly after. So if you've got no HUD and your engines are at normal power, check for that light. If it's off, either you've forgotten to the power the HUD on at all (using the INS switch) or the brightness is too low.
nomdeplume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:59 AM   #8
WynnTTr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchHikingFlatlander View Post
Well if theres something I've learned its "If at first you dont succeed, trim, trim again!"

Be gentle this bird dont like being pushed around! As for the HUD I'll leave that to the pros.....
Actually the BS is pretty sturdy. It's all just a matter of knowing the aircraft. When I first started I felt that it was like trying to fly truck.
Now I can do aerobatic moves and really push the Shark. Give it time, you'll see what I mean.
WynnTTr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
muamshai

whatever you do, just don't fly it like a speed record breaking machine. I have seen people doing 275+, and then wonder why there's a Hawk missile up in their chopper's rear end
Old 05-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #10
fatchance

Talking EUREKA!! How can you disable all NAV related Autopliot

EUREKA!!. I think I understand whats been making this so hard for me to control. It's the NAV system/systems doing stuff that I'm not in control off.

After INTERMITTENTLY fighting with this bird for 50HRS I'm pretty sure that whenever the helo seems to have a mind of it's own it is because I'm being flown not just by the AutoPilot but most especially the NAV AUTOPILOT.

I have tried to turn off waypoints and the Route switch is in the middle position. I also make the DT/DR switch placed in middle position. I only want the stabilization aspects of the AP to function period.

It always seems to happen at the worst time just when I'm lining up a shot and the helo gets a mind of it's own. I think it might be related to the way I make my own missions an where the waypoints are close to the fighting areas.

Can someone make a checklist or suggest how to free me of the influence of the NAV system when I'm fighting?

I love this sim!!!!!

Last edited by fatchance; 05-06-2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: better psoing of my question
fatchance is offline   Reply With Quote