Russian missiles on US Plane - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
kalas1988

Default Russian missiles on US Plane

Hello,

after reading some various articles about Iranian F-14s, one says that Iranians have upgraded the Tomcat to use AA-11 missile (R-73), how could they have accomplished that? I know it is an heat seeking missile, but my guess is that some kind of equipment has to be there for missile launch? I hope you guys understand what I mean

The most amazing for me is The USS Stark incident where aperantly a business jet was modified
to fire an exocet missile. That means that the radar and fire control radar and pylons and other stuff was installed on the business plane.

Regards
kalas1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
Nooch

Everything is moddable. Here it's mostly an interface problem. All they probably had to do is modify the pylon on the jet so that the missile can be attached and "talk" to the airplane.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Everything is moddable. Here it's mostly an interface problem. All they probably had to do is modify the pylon on the jet so that the missile can be attached and "talk" to the airplane.
Curious as to whether they have HMCS with the R-73 too.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Two8nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalas1988 View Post
Hello,

after reading some various articles about Iranian F-14s, one says that Iranians have upgraded the Tomcat to use AA-11 missile (R-73), how could they have accomplished that?

You see when an airplane and missile love each other very much...
Two8nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
Los

It's called working with tools.....
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #6
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two8nine View Post
You see when an airplane and missile love each other very much...
Wait. I thought thats how sidewinders worked?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
drPhibes

Is there any real evidence (i.e. not propaganda *cough*qaher313*cough*) that the IRIAF has ever fired any of the missiles they claim to have modded the F-14 to use? Ground mock-ups or captive carry tests prove nothing.
drPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
TLTeo

What evidence there may or may not be is likely classified, so I doubt anyone in the general public will find out for years yet.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #9
Kang

One little thing also to keep in mind that the world of missiles isn't exactly black and white either.

At the end of the day the R-73 is a heat seeker and thus has everything it needs on board, really. As long as you manage to fix it to a pylon and get it hooked up to safely fire, it is probably going to work.
Advanced features like the infamous 'hook shots' require a whole lot more effort and might thus be less likely to properly work in what is essentially a field modification.

Some of these things aren't really about upgrading a plane's abilities in any way, but to just keep it in the fight. If you have access to R-73s but not to AIM-9s, having a missile that doesn't utilise all of its possibilities might be better than none.

I seem to remember the Iranians for a while tried (and possibly managed) to fire Hawk SAMs from their F-14s in lieu of Phoenix. No idea how well that worked, but the story goes that they got creative after realising they had no way of acquiring new Phoenix missiles.
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 AM   #10
Gman109

If Houthi rebs can launch a Russian AAM from the back of a pickup truck and hit an advanced F15 Strike Eagle variant, I'm sure that the Iranian AF can figure out how to launch Russian/Soviet AAMs from an F14, haha.

Primay DCS Systems (3): i9 9900k@5.0/2 2080tiNVlink/970Pro SSD/Asus PG27uq 4k@144hz/AlienWare 34" 2k@120hz/T50 Mon"geese"(2), 2 Virpil Wrbrd/CM2/Deltas, VKB GF2Revb(2)Tm Warthog(many)VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Pedals/Virpil Throttle/CH Fighterstick/Throttle/peds

VR-Rift S x2, Odyssey+, Pimax5k
Gman109 is offline   Reply With Quote