Index vs Reverb - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #21
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by giei View Post
Ok but resolution is only one aspect of hmd.
See Pimax situation
Resolution is two edged sword. While you can get nicer definition, but you will pay a lot for it via resource requirements. And if you can't push data to native resolution, you will get worse image quality than a lower resolution panel does at the native resolution.

And once we have higher resolution, it requires far more graphical content, and that again push far more resources.

So jumping too soon to too high resolution, means you will suffer more and enjoy less than taking something "less advanced".
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #22
jojo
Veteran

Like I said many times, Reverb resolution is more or less CV1 with SS = 1.9...but in native resolution.

I think there are a couple of players who already are running current headset near the Reverb resolution because of super sampling/ pixel density...you name it.

Of course it isn't for everyone. HP says GTX1080 minimum.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #23
Supmua

Default Index vs Reverb

I preordered the Index and going to wait a bit more to decide regarding Reverb purchase.

I have no doubt that the Reverb is going to trump the Index in terms of clarity. Nobody would pick a 2K over a 4K resolution in gaming, unless your hardware can’t drive them effectively.

The reason for me going for the Index first is because I play other VR games, and room scaling with perpetual controller tracking is important to me. If I only play DCS then I would go for the Reverb, actually no I would probably go for the Acer OJO for physical IPD option.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #24
eaglecash867

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Like I said many times, Reverb resolution is more or less CV1 with SS = 1.9...but in native resolution.

I think there are a couple of players who already are running current headset near the Reverb resolution because of super sampling/ pixel density...you name it.

Of course it isn't for everyone. HP says GTX1080 minimum.
Yup. Currently running my Rift at 2.0PD.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #25
jojo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
If I only play DCS then I would go for the Reverb, actually no I would probably go for the Acer OJO for physical IPD option.

And what is your real IPD measurement ?

Because on one hand, the companies tell us that their headset will fit the vast majority of people without IPD adjustment, on the other hand, everybody seems to complain of lack of IPD.

When I take a ruler in front of the miror (I know, not very scientific measurement ), it seems I'm very close to 64mm.

Am I the only one or what ?
Old 05-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #26
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by giei View Post
Ok but resolution is only one aspect of hmd.
See Pimax situation

There's nothing wrong with Pimax. The software is a little glitchy on the smoothing etc. But I flash back to first ATW and ASW attempts by Oculus.

The better resolution *and* the increased FOV is pretty cool!

After I get the Reverb, I'll keep one and sell the other off. I'm sure the Reverb will look better, but I have to weigh the wider FOV of Pimax. I really don't know if I can go back. We'll see.

EDIT: Well, I guess glitchy software counts as something wrong! LOL
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:05 AM   #27
Vullcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
When I take a ruler in front of the miror (I know, not very scientific measurement ), it seems I'm very close to 64mm.

Am I the only one or what ?
No that is an average IPD but plenty people do not have an average IPD.

While this is exaggerated, its practically like if car manufactures made it so short people were too short to climb in the car and tall people were too tall to physically fit, so only average people could get in. How stupid would that be if you intend to sell cars to most people?

I'm lucky enough to not need glasses, but I went to an optician/optometrist when the rift came out to have my IPD measured. They actually got mad at me telling me they weren't in the business of measuring peoples IPD's just to have them go buy glasses online from someone else!

My IPD turned out to be 69. My wife who does wear glasses has an IPD of 58 and she needs to be able to use the headset too (how do you think I got the huge price tag past the wife approval board!?).

I cant imagine having such an expensive headset that wasn't able to be dialed in to make it as clear as it can be when using it. But thats no fault of the reverb, its aimed at enterprise for a specific purpose. The index is aimed at enthusiasts for gaming. The reverb resolution is really going to have to be a major game changer to be worth sacrificing all the features a gaming oriented headset brings to the table. It cant just be a little better, its going to have to be a lot better.

I have a Rift CV1 now and if the index makes the gauges not blurry anymore, allows me to spot targets better and runs smoothly the Reverb is really going to have to blast me into another dimension of quality to make up for all the things I'd be missing out on (such as playing roomscale games with the knuckles controllers at 120fps/hz).

Last edited by Vullcan; 05-11-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Vullcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 AM   #28
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecash867 View Post
Yup. Currently running my Rift at 2.0PD.
Me 2....
Old 05-11-2019, 02:21 AM   #29
wormeaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vullcan View Post
My IPD turned out to be 69. My wife who does wear glasses has an IPD of 58 and she needs to be able to use the headset too (how do you think I got the huge price tag past the wife approval board!?).
HP Reverb has a better lens and clarity what could cover software IPD adjustment between 55-71. So you got approval.
wormeaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #30
p1t1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormeaten View Post
HP Reverb has a better lens and clarity what could cover software IPD adjustment between 55-71. So you got approval.

What is software IPD worth though? If its not altering lens geometry in relation to eye geometry, its only doing half the job.

The annoying thing is, the displays on the reverb would be a shoe-in with physical IPD, but for non-average people considering the reverb, it turns the excellent, advanced displays into a head-scratcher instead of a no-brainer.
p1t1o is offline   Reply With Quote