Index vs Reverb - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #11
Callsign.Vega

I've already pre-ordered both but no idea when they will arrive. IMO the 2x resolution of the Reverb is going to easily make it the winner.
Callsign.Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
Strikeeagle345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign.Vega View Post
I've already pre-ordered both but no idea when they will arrive. IMO the 2x resolution of the Reverb is going to easily make it the winner.
agreed

Strike
VF-41
vCVW-11
www.vcvw-11.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 1070 | Samsung SSD | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | HOTAS Warthog
Strikeeagle345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #13
giei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign.Vega View Post
Ok but resolution is only one aspect of hmd.
See Pimax situation
Old 05-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #14
Harlikwin

Mostly what everyone else is saying.

The Reverb
Plusses:
"should be" much clearer, higher res + RGB stripe + lower FOV = more pixels per FOV
Minuses reported.
Possible Mura problems (likely software fixable)
Shitty controllers/controller tracking (non issue for DCS IMO)
Its likely gonna be a bear to run due to more pixels pushed.

Index
Plusses
Double lens system, hard to say what impact this will have, no through the lens shots that I've seen.
Current Gen res. At least you know you can run it.
Slightly wider FOV which can be a plus or minus depending on what you want.
Cool controllers (irrelevant to DCS)
Lighthouse tracking

Minuses Reported
Really bad God rays due to double lens system. How bad, who knows
Cost.

The one thing that no one has brought up about the Index yet, is the lens system, and how it might be similar to the Xtal... That is one possibility that might make the index a better system if the optics do something like the Xtal optics do.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #15
Icebeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
Mostly what everyone else is saying.

The Reverb
Plusses:
"should be" much clearer, higher res + RGB stripe + lower FOV = more pixels per FOV
Minuses reported.
Possible Mura problems (likely software fixable)
Shitty controllers/controller tracking (non issue for DCS IMO)
Its likely gonna be a bear to run due to more pixels pushed.

Index
Plusses
Double lens system, hard to say what impact this will have, no through the lens shots that I've seen.
Current Gen res. At least you know you can run it.
Slightly wider FOV which can be a plus or minus depending on what you want.
Cool controllers (irrelevant to DCS)
Lighthouse tracking

Minuses Reported
Really bad God rays due to double lens system. How bad, who knows
Cost.

The one thing that no one has brought up about the Index yet, is the lens system, and how it might be similar to the Xtal... That is one possibility that might make the index a better system if the optics do something like the Xtal optics do.
double lens system could mean better use of the screen and in that case, the PPD will be incremented.
Icebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #16
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebeat View Post
double lens system could mean better use of the screen and in that case, the PPD will be incremented.
It may or may not. It all depends on what it actually is. Double lens really doesn't tell you anything aside from the fact there are 2 lenses. It could be totally useless, or it might mean better FOV, clearer FOV, all the way to something like the XTAL. No one knows, and I have yet to see a through the lens pic of it. The only thing reported was that it mainly gives you large FOV and sweet spot but also caused some bad god rays and the fact there is still noticable SDE, which isn't great news.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 05-10-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #17
dburne
Veteran

I wouldn't even put a lot of trust in through the lens pics.
Actual user reports is what I will be looking forward to, and that may be a while.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #18
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
I wouldn't even put a lot of trust in through the lens pics.
Actual user reports is what I will be looking forward to, and that may be a while.
Agreed, but at least through the lens is something...
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #19
p1t1o

Some interesting discussion including the Index, Reverb and others here, in a Sim-Racing context, which I judge to have similar needs to ours:

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/c...verb_best_for/

Keys points:

Not everyone thinks the higher res on the reverb is an instant choice

On the other hand, it is probably considered the most reliable choice, in that high res is a dead-cert bonus, whereas finicky things like pixel fill, refresh rate and lens geometry have to be seen really, to know for sure how much they add.

They talk alot about FPS halving (120Hz to 60Hz vs 90Hz to 45Hz) if you cant push enough frames. The Index's 144Hz "experimental" mode could enable a 72Hz mode, actually increasing options for less high-end users.

Mention of "gestalt" of components rather than leaning on one very good feature (it seems to me, at least, that the Index is a more complete package, even if it loses the resolution competition)

Lighthouse tracking more respected than inside-out

Valve more respected to know what gamers need (Reverb *is* marketed more towards enterprise customers)

Pimax 5+ has excellent resolution but is not talked about in terms of being the best of the best

Nobody is talking about the "expandability" of the Index, that front port.

Is anyone here expecting much from that area?

As a personal note, I've heard almost nothing about the Reverb audio, and the headphones look extremely generic. Whereas the audio on the Index is a major selling point.

You can probably tell Im kinda instinctively leaning towards the Index at this point. Also cooler name.

Just found out about XTAL. Jesus...

Last edited by p1t1o; 05-10-2019 at 07:42 PM.
p1t1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #20
Fri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1t1o View Post
Nobody is talking about the "expandability" of the Index, that front port.
Because no one knows about it really.

Such slots are very typically gimmick ones in the consumer electronics. If the product doesn't get launched from the start with at least 5-10 different kind parts you can attach to it, then you are not likely going to see anything in it.

That has happened in the smartphones, laptops, tablets, PC's etc. you just name it. When there is promised a non-standard (universally usable via any manufacturer on any device) then it doesn't end well.

If such port would be standard for next versions of HMD, like Rift S, Index, Reverb etc, then there would be a change to see something for it. But as it is just for that one unique item, there is way too high probability that you will see like 1-2 parts for it at best and then they are useless after couple years.

We are not talking about USB ports here. We are not talking about a memory card slots etc that has gone through standards and commitment from the main manufacturers. And such things will fail.