DCS I-16

• ED Team
yo-yo first versions of i-16 used m-25 engine right ?? which was exact copy of r-1820 which had geared output shaft

ha m-25 has no rediction gear :)

Do you see a gearbox here?

http://xn--80aafy5bs.xn--p1ai/aviamuseum/dvigateli-i-vooruzhenie/aviamotorostroenie/aviamotory-sssr/porshnevye-i-dizelnye/porshnevoj-aviatsionnyj-dvigatel-m-25-wright-cyclone-r-1820-f3/#foobox-1/4/4.Dvigatel-M-25A-v-muzee-VVS-Monino.jpg

1820F3 model was available with direct drive, so M-25 was of this type. It is easy to explain keeping in mind that 2000 rpm was good for Soviet fighters with 2-blade props of relatively small diameter.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Do you see a gearbox here?

http://xn--80aafy5bs.xn--p1ai/aviamuseum/dvigateli-i-vooruzhenie/aviamotorostroenie/aviamotory-sssr/porshnevye-i-dizelnye/porshnevoj-aviatsionnyj-dvigatel-m-25-wright-cyclone-r-1820-f3/#foobox-1/4/4.Dvigatel-M-25A-v-muzee-VVS-Monino.jpg

1820F3 model was available with direct drive, so M-25 was of this type. It is easy to explain keeping in mind that 2000 rpm was good for Soviet fighters with 2-blade props of relatively small diameter.

yes i know that now i saw photo. so M-62/63 would be almost the same right so direct drive too

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Why do the 7.62mm mgs sound so beefy compared to the .50s of the P-51? Must buy because of this alone.

becouse its not proper sound for this mgs they had crazy rate of fire

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I mean, no comments whatsoever? :huh:

S!

My reaction exactly, as a new 3rd party, they must really feel welcome ;)

EDIT: saw your later post and you meant something else. Still, same answer applies I guess, but an introduction by ED would have been appropriate (and probably helpful for those who aren't decided to buy an EA module made by a new team) :D

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Is manual startup working? I've tried everything and it seems like it's bugged somewhere along the line, and that there is also no training / documentation for me to double check with.
Yes,s it's working, but it usually takes a while to start-up. I haven't managed yet to start-up in the very first try, though the second one and third it does catch fire without further ado.

My reaction exactly, as a new 3rd party, they must really feel welcome wink.gif

EDIT: saw your later post and you meant something else. Still, same answer applies I guess, but an introduction by ED would have been appropriate (and probably helpful for those who aren't decided to buy an EA module made by a new team) biggrin.gif

Yeah, well, a bit of both. People's comments, and official comments. Either weird sort of veiled release at first, just a line in Changelog, as well as people realising it's there not saying a word about it.

I know it's a proof of concept for a new third party, not a really welcome module being out of context, but that was expected since firsts mod news. Still I really enjoy in DCS just the pleasure of starting up these kind of beasts and take a spin with it. Could only take a flight yesterday but it's a gorgeous module.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yes,s it's working, but it usually takes a while to start-up. I haven't managed yet to start-up in the very first try, though the second one and third it does catch fire without further ado.

Yeah, well, a bit of both. People's comments, and official comments. Either weird sort of veiled release at first, just a line in Changelog, as well as people realising it's there not saying a word about it.

I know it's a proof of concept for a new third party, not a really welcome module being out of context, but that was expected since firsts mod news. Still I really enjoy in DCS just the pleasure of starting up these kind of beasts and take a spin with it. Could only take a flight yesterday but it's a gorgeous module.

S!

well unable to start still, I quit after 10 tries.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

well unable to start still, I quit after 10 tries.
Then just use the auto-start cheat, you can take note of the quoted steps BTW. Really straightforward.

I always say it's not like you need a pilot's license to fly DCS, but in the end it helps I guess :lol:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Nope, no inertia starter sound on my side, but it's working, some 10-12 secs holding and then starter.

S!

Maybe now we have a proper OctopusG section this thread is better suited there.

S!

Maybe the site-admin could move the thread into the "Licensed Third Party Projects --> OctopusG", as suggested by the OP? Thanks! :)

Edited by norbot

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I-16

I've just purchased the I-16 and was quite excited about the prospect of flying a new module. But to be honest I was a little disappointed about it when I finally got in to the cockpit. Finally, meaning, it takes twice as long as any other module to load. When I finally get the engine started and begin taxi, it handles pretty much like a supermarket shopping trolley. Surely, the rudder does not wave around like that in the real aircraft. As a result, taking off is almost impossible. I know this is a beta module and it is bound to have a few faults. Can someone please find out whether this wavering around during taxi and take off roll is supposed to happen.

Disable takeoff assist in special options, it's responsible for the rudder moving by itself.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'm not interested in this airplane at all, but it does show me what can be done by people working on their own, out there. I would love to see someone try a Japanese fighter. A Hiyate, or a Shoki. I'd love to fly against one of those in my Mustang.

I've just purchased the I-16 and was quite excited about the prospect of flying a new module. But to be honest I was a little disappointed about it when I finally got in to the cockpit. Finally, meaning, it takes twice as long as any other module to load. When I finally get the engine started and begin taxi, it handles pretty much like a supermarket shopping trolley. Surely, the rudder does not wave around like that in the real aircraft. As a result, taking off is almost impossible. I know this is a beta module and it is bound to have a few faults. Can someone please find out whether this wavering around during taxi and take off roll is supposed to happen.

every plane need some training at first try i faild too. if you want make it easier set full rpm and go full power in that case tail will lift very early removing this problem . i-16 t/o run is very short i i bet that you tried take off with low power. go full power that its easiest plane in dcs

I got the I16.

I love it, its a great little plane. My only issues is that you have to take the takeoff assist off in the settings because its on by default and there is a bug in multiplayer where everyone but you sees your landing gear as down even after you have raised it.

I really enjoy flying it, its slow but turns and climbs really well. I like the open cockpit, the sound of the radial engine and how easy it is to startup. It's also really reliable as long as you keep radiators open and RPM's at or below 2200.

Cool plane. I don't understand people who complain about more modules being added to DCS? The more the better!

shouldnt it be easy bait for the more modern enemy?

Depends on how you fight it. If you start to turn and burn with it, you'll probably end up dead. Boom and zoom is how you want to kill the bugger.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Dude I-16 is a dangerous little fu...r. doesnt seem to be a helpless underdog as i expected, makes me wonder shouldnt it be easy bait for the more modern enemy?

If you fight it the right way, but if you get cought by it at slow speed or try to turn with it you will have a bad day.

The I-16 has the lowest wingloading of any of the DCS WW2 fighters, even the Spitfire MkIX. So it can turn tight.

And, while it has only 1100HP maximum, its also very light, so its power to weight ratio is not bad at all for a 1939 plane.

Its achilles heel is its very slow top speed, it just cant catch any of the other planes as long as they keep their speed somewhat high.

But, if they fail to do that....

yep thats true no turn fighting against it i figured that out quite quickly^^

but as it turns even tighter than the spit boom and zoom in the dora for example is quite difficult i must say, at least for me.

also its guns aka the minigun are pretty terrifying and sharpshooting ai is a pain in the butt too.

what gave me joy was flying against the spit, it even turns tighter and the ai seems to go wtf is happening :D