MISTRAL suspected bug - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 02:13 AM   #1
Dino Might

Default MISTRAL suspected bug

Can't find any special subforum for MISTRAL variant, so hopefully this can be moved to appropriate location:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nXAQQdIZVw&feature=youtu.be

Appears that Mistral missile accelerates for a long time and burns much longer than comparative video. Not sure if these are special variants of the missile, but recommend a check on the missile data vs flight performance in game. Video shows acceleration for extended time and then deceleration while still burning, so maybe part flight model and part graphics bug?

Please advise.
Dino Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Sanbato

the mistral missile is coded in the game to touch up to 7km (against 6.3 to 6.7 depending on the version and shooting platform IRL) thrust, memory occurs on a third of the max distance. which is the case in your video (approximately). you see that the slowed missile has about 6 seconds (thrust, then inertia, then slowdown). the smoke of the thrust is present all the way, but not the thrust. it is therefore a problem of display of the thrust and not of its effect. this was not the case during the mistral tests, and this seems to have happened following updates on support (dcs). I doubt that the correction of this slight problem is the responsibility of polychop.
Sanbato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
Rex854Warrior

The missile stays at over 1000knts all the way and while thrust decreases the missile is definitely still burning. Whatever the target is doing, if it's in range (the advertised 7 kms) the missile will hit. This is a bug, a missile that still has 1000knts of energy at the "max" range means it's far from maximum range.

EDIT : And in the OG post's video you can clearly see the missile burns for a very short time, like all missiles, max range is a value achieved under very good conditions.

http://veaf.org/fr/

Last edited by Rex854Warrior; 10-23-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Rex854Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
Sanbato

it's not a bug, it's a development choice dictated by the limits of the game's environment.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Rex854Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbato View Post
it's not a bug, it's a development choice dictated by the limits of the game's environment.
Perhaps polychop should get in touch with ED to make the Mistral Missile on par with it's real counterpart.

Last edited by Rex854Warrior; 10-23-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex854Warrior View Post
Perhaps polychop should get in touch with ED to make the Mistral Missile on par with it's real counterpart.
ED is right now focused in F18 and its armament. I don't think they worry much about an 3rd party missile.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Rex854Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatstar98 View Post
ED is right now focused in F18 and its armament. I don't think they worry much about an 3rd party missile.
While ED is a small team, not every single one of their programmers is working on the F/A-18 since we are getting updates for the game itself and not even trying to contact ED is surely not going to help. If Polychop has already done so then waiting is the only thing we can do.

Last edited by Rex854Warrior; 10-23-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
-Martin-

I was able to shot down a plane at an altitude of 7km flying at the deck with the mistral helo, and the missile flew over Mach 2 all the way up if I recall this correctly. Many SAM systems would be envious of such performance. So the missile appears fairly unrealistic to me.

Wish List: Mi-24P, Mig-23MLA
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5

Last edited by -Martin-; 10-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.
-Martin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Sanbato

I might be able to answer that part, but I think Borchi will do it better than me who does not work at polychop. i can just tell you that the max was done from polychop about it. ED has a lot of subject to deal with third party developers and their own modules (as well as the platform), so wait and see.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:35 PM   #10
Dino Might

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbato View Post
I don't understand this, can you explain further?

By the look of it, shouldn't it behave similar to a stinger? Those have finite burn times and don't stay over 1000 kts the whole travel.
Dino Might is offline   Reply With Quote