Disabled AP channels - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
DerFangzahn

Default Disabled AP channels

Hi,

I am currently trying to get into the Shark. During my flight I found something strange.

Self disabling AP channels. What causes the disabling of the the BANK/PITCH/HDG AP channels? I did several test flights where I flew around, shot some weapons and landed on several spots. I did never manually disable any AP channel. Only FD. Every time somewhere during the flight it happens that all AP channels are disabled. What causes this?

Thank you!
DerFangzahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
electricaltill

There is an emergency autopilot disconnect button, which perhaps you are pressing? Also, the autopilot channel lights are inverted due to a bug, so if they appear to be off they are on.
electricaltill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 AM   #3
Weta43
Veteran

I remember I used to have trouble with that, but haven't for a long time...

I think there's something happens if you exceed the authority of the AP by too much or for too long...

e.g. If you enable auto hover, then fly away having forgotten you did, at some point the AP will disengage and turn off all the AP channels.

Are you flying without trimming ? Eventually that might do it too.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
e.g. If you enable auto hover, then fly away having forgotten you did, at some point the AP will disengage and turn off all the AP channels.
I'm pretty sure that, when Auto Hover is engaged *and* the radar alt drops below 4 meters (or maybe 3 meters), all AP channels will immediately disconnect. Which I find kind of strange, seeing as close to the ground I might need them more than at any other point in flight, but who am I to question the wisdom of Kamov's engineers...
Old 05-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
electricaltill

I think the auto hover just won't engage below 4m. I didn't think it disabled the AP altogether.
electricaltill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
Kang

There is definitely a limit there which you can safely test by holding the route switch on the collective to 'descend' while in a hover. The only way you can drop below that limit with the hover mode active is if you drift over suddenly rising terrain.

My guess would be accidentally having hit the emergency disable button on the cyclic as well.
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
OGREMAN

This may be a sucking eggs comment but I have to ask! are you aware that the AP channels only exercise 20% authority over the possible input range? thus if for any reason you input (either by extreme trim condition or direct pilot input) more that 20% then the safety system will disconnect the AP channels.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 AM   #8
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGREMAN View Post
thus if for any reason you input (either by extreme trim condition or direct pilot input) more that 20% then the safety system will disconnect the AP channels.
I haven't flown the Black Shark in a good long while, but are you sure the AP channels get disconnected when the pilots provides more than 20% input against it?

My understanding has always been that the helicopter will still exert its 20% authority "against" the pilot input, resulting in the struggle that many pilots feel when they're new to this chopper, aka "fighting the AP"; the AP channels would still remain connected/activated in this case, though.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #9
MTFDarkEagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
My understanding has always been that the helicopter will still exert its 20% authority "against" the pilot input, resulting in the struggle that many pilots feel when they're new to this chopper, aka "fighting the AP"; the AP channels would still remain connected/activated in this case, though.
Yep
Old 05-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #10
Madmatt_BFC

Going from memory, engaging Autohover can result in any activated AutoPilot Channels disengaging under several conditions.

* If you activate Autohover while too low to the ground i.e. lower than 3 or 4 meters.
* If you can try and engage AutoHover immediately after first ramp take off (system needs some time to fully stabilize, not sure how much though).
* If you engage Autohover at too steep of a pitch angle. Actually this exception I am less sure about but I saw it mentioned before.

In those conditions, when you engage AutoHover you will see the Autopilot channel buttons blink (well you would if the in-cockpit indicator buttons were still working properly but that's a whole other topic) and then turn off as they are disengaged.

I believe you will also see your AP channels disengage when your INU is not properly aligned after a ramp start and you try to engage AutoHover. That could be related to the second reason above though.

Madmatt

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64
Madmatt_BFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, ka50