Real Simulator FSSB R3 Lightning - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
ChuckJäger

Default Real Simulator FSSB R3 Lightning

Does anyone have any info on how this works with DCS? Is it as good as the price might suggest? Looking for a solution to use with the Thrustmaster warthog stick...

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |
ChuckJäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
BaD CrC

I got the FSSB R3 non lightning. It works perfect in DCS BUT, you will have to learn from scratch how you fly your aircraft. Your stick is not moving anymore. So it's not about the movement but about the pressure you apply to the stick. And that changes a lot of things. Took me weeks before I was able to fly again decently.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Supmua

It works really well and very precise, although I don’t think it is for everybody. People either hate it or completely love the thing after first use, and there is some learning curve since there is barely any moving mechanics. (I currently own FSSB, 2 Warthog bases, VKB GFII and Virpil WarBRD bases)

Pros:
Minimal input lag compared to spring-based sticks since force sense is instantaneous. This gives you the feeling of tight control which is tough to explain.
Precision, I can do level turn, ground attack better than spring-based sticks.
No throw so it fits just about anywhere.
Ability to change sensitivity or profile on-the-fly.

Cons:
Expensive.
Harder to do AAR or Harrier VT landing since it is difficult to input small amount of force near the center.
Somewhat fragile and needs to be pampered
Not compatible with stick extension.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
ChuckJäger

Thank god for this forum. Thanks gents for the feedback.

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |
ChuckJäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
Ranma13

I've written about my experiences with the FSSB R3 here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comm...h_rig/els83ti/

Pasted here for convenience:

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you fly. For modern fly-by-wire aircraft, it feels pretty great because the aircraft has flight computers that will smooth out your inputs. You no longer have to wrestle with springs and cams not returning the stick to exact center, and you get a lot of precision around the center point (no more having to break the static friction force before the joystick moves).

For WWI and WWII aircraft though, because they're a lot more "jittery" in comparison and require a higher amount of stick movement to move, it can get pretty tiresome. You can lower the force sensing amount to compensate, but it does get pretty tiring having to constantly put force on the stick in order to get your guns on target. Even then, because the force sensors are very sensitive and accurate, it will pick up any difference in the amount of force that you're applying, so there will always be some jitter present. This translates to jitter when you're trying to place the gun sights on a target, which can be really annoying.

So if you only fly modern aircraft, I'd recommend it over spring-based joysticks. If you like WWI, WWII, and non-fly-by-wire aircraft, you're probably better served by a spring-based stick.

It feels pretty good with the A-10C, especially since the gun is stabilized with PAC 1.

I will say though that if you're really on the fence about it, you're probably going to be happier picking up some other gear first. A force sensing base does make a noticeable difference with control accuracy, especially when doing things that need finesse like air-to-air refueling, but it also has its drawbacks. The price to value ratio is also way off, so you should be pretty confident that you'll enjoy using one before picking it up (not sure if RealSimulator accepts returns, but it ships from Spain). Also keep in mind that you'll need a stick to go with the base, so if you don't have a Warthog stick already, you'll have to buy one. I got mine direct from Guillemot without the Warthog base, and I suspect it's a refurbished unit because it arrived with a dent on the ring that surrounds the trim hat. I wouldn't recommend using a MongoosT-50CM with the base though; with the forces involved, the plastic noticeably bends and creaks with that stick, and I'm concerned that over time the plastic will fail.

Admittedly, deciding if you'd like a force sensing base is hard if you've never used one before. What sealed the deal for me was when I couldn't get my MCG Pro with the extension to return to center accurately when the dry clutches were engaged. If I loosened the dry clutches to the point where the stick centered accurately, it felt too much like a spring joystick, and if I tightened them up to the point where it was dampened to my liking, it couldn't pull itself back to dead center (I was using #50 + #20 springs with the soft center cam). This really killed it for me with aircraft that have flight computers that will attempt to keep your attitude once the stick is let go of, because I found myself constantly trimming to compensate for the stick never returning to true dead center.
Ranma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:32 PM   #6
crazyave

I converted my Cougar with FSSB 3 and the throttle with TUSB in the recent past. I have to say the transition took quite a while and I hated it at first. Now that I'm used to it it's pretty good. However, after flying for a while my arm can get pretty tired from holding stick forces, even at minimum force sensitivity. I have strong arms from windsurfing and paddleboarding in surf, but holding a constant 4-5lbs minimum for hours gets pretty straining, esp in any kind of heavy maneuvering, like dogfighting. The sensitivity and feel can't be beat though. It's a pretty heavy spend, I would think about it carefully unless you have money to burn. If anything else in your system is not enthusiast level, probably better off upgrading everything else first before considering this.
crazyave is offline   Reply With Quote