Index vs Reverb - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #81
Brixmis

I've been reading some pretty disturbing things about the Reverb's graphics in the last days - I highly doubt I will be having one. Still haven't discounted Index, though, but I will probably use the full 7 days to pay period to see what others report on it in DCSW - that's if anyone gets theirs in that time.

Otherwise I'll just have to cancel that order and wait for the next stock if I want one.

***actually, I think others will have theirs long before mine is available - my estimated availablitiy is 31st August

Last edited by Brixmis; 05-16-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #82
Harlikwin

Most actual reviews said nothing but good things about the Reverb from a graphical/visual acuity standpoint. Yes the Mura thing was brought up, but subsequent reviews said when you were actually playing a game it didn't matter.

No idea on availability "In your own little world" though, does it cost extra to get stuff shipped there?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #83
Brixmis

Well it does require a brain cell or two
Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #84
p1t1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
I've been reading some pretty disturbing things about the Reverb's graphics in the last days - I highly doubt I will be having one. Still haven't discounted Index, though, but I will probably use the full 7 days to pay period to see what others report on it in DCSW - that's if anyone gets theirs in that time.

Otherwise I'll just have to cancel that order and wait for the next stock if I want one.

***actually, I think others will have theirs long before mine is available - my estimated availablitiy is 31st August

Just wondering how you got an estimated availability date?

The page for the full kit says "shipped by" aug 31st but I presume thats a latest date (ignoring the inevitable further delays) and they will start going down the list of preorders before that.

What exactly did you read about the reverb graphics? Anything on top of the known mura and fixed IPD issues?

Im leaning towards the index, its a more complete package, and its displays, whilst not the highest res, seem to be pretty high specced.

Its too bloody subjective. One review says one thing, another says "thats not a thing, but this is". Its like trying to choose which spectacles to buy, but we all have different prescriptions...

Actually its exactly like that.
p1t1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #85
Harlikwin

Quote:
Well it does require a brain cell or two
Yeah I can make an educated guess as to where you are based on your avatar. I even got to ride along on one of those long ago...

Last edited by Harlikwin; 05-17-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #86
Brixmis

Well you were jumping to conclusions and doing that to try and belittle me, so I have pretty much zero interest in explaining or further involvement - have a nice day.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #87
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1t1o View Post
Just wondering how you got an estimated availability date?

The page for the full kit says "shipped by" aug 31st but I presume thats a latest date (ignoring the inevitable further delays) and they will start going down the list of preorders before that.
Valve sent me an email - not a delivery date - telling me when the kit is expected to be avialable for me to buy and they will send an invoice, which must be paid within 7 days else the stuff goes back to stock.

I'd have to go back and read the article mentioning the visual issues on the Reverb (though mura wasn't mentioned at all) - it was by a journo who had actually tried it - for half an hour, I think it was. I cleared my browsing history a day or two ago, so would have to look again via Google - which is how I found it in the first place.

All in all, we can only act on currently available info (I tend to ignore speculation) from those who have had a go. In the case of the Index, that's no-one who can tell us anything, which is why I said I'd see what others think when they had theirs.

I was initially going for Rift S and Quest only. Apparently the initial expected availability date for Index was before the date that was shown when I reserved mine - so I am thinking I missed the first expected stock - deliberately. This is good for me, because it will mean others will have their headsets before mine is available, and I will have a better idea of whether to shell out or cancel.

At the end of the day, I have a Rift, and loads of software that I haven't even looked at yet, but am keen on trying, that should work well with the Rift S. Buying any other headset risks losing access to those and having wasted all that cash, if Oculus/FB decide at any time to pull the plug on available hacks to use Oculus Home (if they exist for the Reverb in the first place?), so I would need to keep the Rift as a minimum. Not to mention roomscale tracking, which I should keep with the S. I want to sell my Rift to soften the financial blow of getting a new headset.

Any further negatives (such as graphics issues, rubbish controllers like those the Reverb will have, questionable tracking) only increase doubt that buying that headset would be a shrewd move.

Based on these things, Reverb has looked less and less of an attractive proposition - to me. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what they should do - each person has their own expectations and priorities and decides based on their own agenda. I have a great dislike of people trying to tell other people what they should and shouldn't buy based on their own agenda, especially when "other people" is me!

It's amazing how short posts saying the way I personally am going, invokes responses like that of Harlikuin, but then it seems to be the norm these days. I'm sure he'll have some response which he thinks is clever and witty and trying to put me down - but I couldn't care less, I won't be reading it
Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #88
eaglecash867

Quote:
Valve sent me an email - not a delivery date - telling me when the kit is expected to be avialable for me to buy and they will send an invoice, which must be paid within 7 days else the stuff goes back to stock.

I'd have to go back and read the article mentioning the visual issues on the Reverb (though mura wasn't mentioned at all) - it was by a journo who had actually tried it - for half an hour, I think it was. I cleared my browsing history a day or two ago, so would have to look again via Google - which is how I found it in the first place.
Did that review also include a review of the Rift S? It sounds like you might have been reading the ARS Technica review that has had its link posted on this forum several times in the last week or so. If it was that one, the author gets a lot of his details mixed up between the two headsets (comments about physical features that don't even exist on the Reverb, but exist on the Rift, etc.), and he doesn't mention the Mura problem that a lot of other reviewers have mentioned as pretty much the only problem they saw with the Reverb. Its currently rumored that that one problem is the cause of the release delay of the Reverb, so even that is probably going to be fixed. Heh, don't really care for rumors and speculation though.

I've got a Reverb on pre-order with Amazon, and if I hate it when I finally get it, I'm planning on using Amazon's excellent return policy. Until then, I have my Rift like you do, so I'm in no rush. I want HP to get it right, rather than releasing an incomplete product to meet a deadline. I'm also planning on keeping my Rift, because like you, I have a lot of Oculus titles that I don't want to lose access to. Hoping that somebody much more clever than I am with computer hardware will maybe come up with a hack to get Oculus Touch controllers to work in the WMR environment. Might be impossible, but it would be an awesome thing.

I bought an HMD once based solely on the reviews it was getting, and I hated it. Won't mention the name of it because that tends to get people upset. LOL. What I learned from that though is that only the individual can determine if an HMD is right for them. Currently still loving my dinosaur CV1.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #89
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecash867 View Post
Did that review also include a review of the Rift S? It sounds like you might have been reading the ARS Technica review that has had its link posted on this forum several times in the last week or so. If it was that one, the author gets a lot of his details mixed up between the two headsets (comments about physical features that don't even exist on the Reverb, but exist on the Rift, etc.), and he doesn't mention the Mura problem that a lot of other reviewers have mentioned as pretty much the only problem they saw with the Reverb. Its currently rumored that that one problem is the cause of the release delay of the Reverb, so even that is probably going to be fixed. Heh, don't really care for rumors and speculation though.

I've got a Reverb on pre-order with Amazon, and if I hate it when I finally get it, I'm planning on using Amazon's excellent return policy. Until then, I have my Rift like you do, so I'm in no rush. I want HP to get it right, rather than releasing an incomplete product to meet a deadline. I'm also planning on keeping my Rift, because like you, I have a lot of Oculus titles that I don't want to lose access to. Hoping that somebody much more clever than I am with computer hardware will maybe come up with a hack to get Oculus Touch controllers to work in the WMR environment. Might be impossible, but it would be an awesome thing.

I bought an HMD once based solely on the reviews it was getting, and I hated it. Won't mention the name of it because that tends to get people upset. LOL. What I learned from that though is that only the individual can determine if an HMD is right for them. Currently still loving my dinosaur CV1.
Yeah I am still loving my Rift CV1. Been using it practically daily since Jan 2017. This thing is just rock solid and so totally reliable. No faffing about.
I just hope my incoming new Rift S is just as solid.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #90
Harlikwin

Quote:
Well you were jumping to conclusions and doing that to try and belittle me, so I have pretty much zero interest in explaining or further involvement - have a nice day.
Maybe you've confused me with someone else, given that I certainly wasn't jumping to any conclusions, that was you. In response to your post I merely pointed that most recent reviews didn't find any major graphical issues with the reverb. You then started the with the personal attacks, then a page long rant about people trying to sell you a headset which I certainly never did.