Well, NUTS! - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
I'm a beta tester for auto sims. I understand what beta means. It means you're trying unproven updates. You're a tester and will have more problems than the stable version. The stable version gets the updates after they've been proven to work on many systems.
Yeah, that's the general definition of a beta, but I meant how this is technically implemented in DCS. And here it's not really about something running stable on different systems, but about gameplay bugs that might get introduced with a new update.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
derammo

[deleted due to post delay, had already been answered]

Last edited by derammo; 05-15-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: already answered
derammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
BuzzU+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Yeah, that's the general definition of a beta, but I meant how this is technically implemented in DCS. And here it's not really about something running stable on different systems, but about gameplay bugs that might get introduced with a new update.
Ok, I understand how it works now. I thought you had both versions on the SSD.

Thanks.

I'll stay with the open beta version and see how it works out.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
Ok, I understand how it works now. I thought you had both versions on the SSD.

Thanks.

I'll stay with the open beta version and see how it works out.
Good choice
If it shouldn't work you can always switch to the stable which is just like downloading a normal update.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #15
BuzzU+
Posting Rights Suspended

I'm a stubborn old coot. I've decided the A-10C is a better choice for me. I'm going to stay with it from now on.

Since the A-10c gets few updates. I went back to the stable version.

Yeah, I know. Make up your mind. I have.

Have fun with the Hornet guys.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #16
Justinp

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
I think you have a bit of a wrong impression of what the beta actually is. The beta is nothing else but the normal DCS installation, the only difference being that it gets updates earlier than the stable. Right now the beta and the stable are entirely identical: https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/
So you currently have the Stable and the Beta at the same time as there is no difference between the two.

Next Wednesday that will probably change again, because there probably will be a new update that gets released to the beta only. The week after the same update usally gets released for the Stable (unless there are problems with the update) and then they are the same once again untill the week after. And so it continious...

Now your DCS installation needs to know when it is supposed to download a new update. Is it supposed to download it when it first gets released in "beta" state or should it wait for another week (or 2-3 weeks sometimes) untill the update gets released in "stable" state. So, the general DCS installation is exactly the same, just the update time is different and that's something you can change at anytime:

To tell your DCS installation to download updates in beta state, just open the windows cmd, navigate to the bin folder in your DCS installation folder and enter the following command:
DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta
Now DCS will update whenever there is a new beta update.

To tell your DCS installation to download updates in stable state, just open the windows cmd, navigate to the bin folder in your DCS installation folder and enter the following command:
DCS_updater.exe update @release
Now DCS will update whenever there is a new stable update.

See this thread for more info: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Bottom line is: You don't need to have two different DCS installations on your computer. You can just switch between beta and stable at any time. I do that for at least 4 years now, because I don't have the space for two DCS installations either (although I didn't had to switch back to the stable for almost a year now, because there was no issue with the beta for me since then).
Holy Cow I had no idea it was that easy to change from beta to stable versions. I have had the stable version since I started playing but have been wanting to switch so I can play on more of the multiplayer servers. But remembering how long it took to download and install and get all my setting back I have neglected to do so.

Just so I'm sure most of the online servers do only run the open beta version right? So I need to be running the beta version in order to see them and connect up?
Justinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #17
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinp View Post
Just so I'm sure most of the online servers do only run the open beta version right? So I need to be running the beta version in order to see them and connect up?
Right now it doesn't even matter, because the versions are identical and compatible.

With the next OB update, yeah, you'll have to update to the same version as the servers or you won't even see them.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:45 AM   #18
Worrazen

There's also a config now that I've been asking for long ago, that you can specify and override the default path of the updater's downloads and temporary files location.

Make a autoupdate_settings.cfg file in the root directory of DCS installation and paste that in:

Quote:
{
"download_dir": "A:\\DCS_TempDownloads"
}

Last edited by Worrazen; 05-16-2019 at 02:50 AM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 AM   #19
GrEaSeLiTeNiN

I don’t bother with stable now because the goodies are in the beta which for me is playable enough (I don’t do MP). There is already enough of waiting for updates in beta so I don’t wish to wait some more in stable. It’s going to be quite a while before the F18 is complete so I’d go with beta.
GrEaSeLiTeNiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #20
QuiGon
Veteran

Most MP servers run on the beta, which is also perfectly stable for 99% of the time.