S-300 Version Clarification

FlankerMan

I'm just saying what I've seen in the game. The 48N6 and HHQ-9 are the longest ranged missiles, followed by the SM-2 and 5V55, and then the MIM-104 and HQ-16.

Yeah, they added a lot of stuff and it's been hard for me to catch up. With the Haikou Destroyer, the range is slightly less than the Velikiy, around 45 miles for the HHQ-9. The land based Chinese system is the same missile as the Russian in the simulation even though the system is different IRL.

Tacview-20190404-061616-DCS.zip

Tacview-20190404-061424-DCS.zip

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a reminder: The theoretical "reach" of a SAM on the internet is mostly from public available analysis based on non-classified input. It often is the maximum possible distance under optimum conditions, and finally it rarely accounts for tactical considerations, like no-escape zone, luring the enemy in, to have optimum conditions etc.

As an example, in theorie a typical automatic rifle has a maximum range of a couple kilometers if the bullet were not hitting the ground earlier. The maximum effective engagement range is usually around 800m.

When training tactical engagements you learn to fire at a distance between 300m to 50m depending on lay of the land and situation...

As far as I know the AI in DCS takes maximum versus effective engagement range into account, so when a shipboard SAM launches against a threat it may considers the typical Anti-Ship-Missile range, may be even the absence of ground clutter to hide , into account and launches earlier, than a land based SAM hidden in the woods and with hills and landscape for the enemy to hide. Both will usually engage when inside the NEZ to give the missile at least enough energy to reach you, if you simply turn tail and run. ;-)

I did not have the time to look into details or test some stuff, but the aircraft AI has specific options to enforce launches after judging the situation, or at maximum range or a random launch between maximum and minimum range, or so...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Regarding S300 performance:

3fh3gGf.png

c7lCabv.png

oGek8dZ.png

ykxWQ74.png

Note "That other Sim" supposedly uses the 48N6 in name. But the performance figures pulled from the code don't quite make sense. It has the same theoretical performance as the 5V55R which we have in game right now. So it is fair to compare the two. Also of note the Red line is a modded SA10 using numbers from a CFD simulation I ran to calculate the Cd0 of the SA10 using solidworks.

Edited by nighthawk2174

I'm attaching very good description of whole S300 family (with the exception of S300V of course). It has references on pages 18-19 to "historykpvo-2.ucoz.ru" which contains real documentation, not available elsewhere.

BTW: .. so are we getting S300V from ED?

I made the doc. It is chapter of a long free "book" what I made with some of my friends in Hungarian.

Here is so far what I translated to ENG.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ibpuhagkr7a8w/ENG_-_HT_Osszefoglalo

S-300V is in the army air defense directory.

Here is the original Hungarian version (it is almost 800 page long) with attachments. (Some attachments are also in HUN.)

http://bit.ly/ht-osszefoglalo-2017

http://bit.ly/ht-osszefoglalo-2017-mellekletek

Maybe I should make an own topic for it.