The key to zhe Gazelle - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
CHPL

Lightbulb The key to zhe Gazelle

That's fun, that's the way it should be, and the Gazelle behaves like a Formula One car in the air.

There are many different opinions about the flight model, and we may argue about how realistic it is, or not.
But the main question is how can I fly this thing in DCS. And have fun with it.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Sephyrius

Personally I run with
- A manual "curve", though rather than a curve it's two lines. The first one covers the first 70% of stick deflection at 70% saturation, and then last covers the remaining 30% with whichever degree of linear saturation that gets it to 100% coverage. Gives you control as well as full deflection (which, frankly, you only use for extreme situations anyways), but still good to have.

- FFB off. Sucks bigtime, I'm running a FFB stick, but having it on breaks the FM bigtime. It was announced that FFB wouldn't be developed any further, but at this point it's still not really working. The FFB curve options are useless since saturation works far better.

- For true glory, after disabling FFB you can still run SimFFB in the background, with maximum damper forces, and about 30% spring effect (just enough to keep it from going slack, but not re-center itself). That gives you truly fine control and only then does it feel like it's truly controllable. Does the cyclic even re-center in real life (except for force trim) ?
Sephyrius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
CHPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyrius View Post
Does the cyclic even re-center in real life (except for force trim) ?
There is no center position in real life. Because the Center ( hover point) varies due to different loads from flight to flight and during the flight because of fuel consumption.

The video is a general recommendation to all they have trouble with controlling the Gazelle and stopped flying or never have given her a try because of the "bad reporting" concerning the flight model.

Depending on your Joy Stick or control device there are many ways to adapt. But it needs time and patience to find the perfect adjustments.

Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 03-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #4
PitbullVicious

I've found that the CH Fighterstick is pretty much ideal for Gazelle, light and accurate. I fly with it without any curve adjustments.
i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz | ASUS RTX2080Ti 11GB | 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro Throttle | MFG pedals | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | Buddy Fox UFC | 3 x TM Cougar MFD
PitbullVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
FragBum+
Posting Rights Revoked

You need to build a cyclic interface,..

Gazelle feels okay as far as input goes, it seems the "same" as Huey and Mi-8, for me whats missing is required deflection of cyclic to counter parasitic drag or blowback/blowforward CG but that's just my opinion. The cyclic is simply centric.

Reducing saturation helped me initially but placing the cyclic between my legs and having an extension made it work for me.

Try rolling and looping,.. link to short vid.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
Robert31178

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitbullVicious View Post
I've found that the CH Fighterstick is pretty much ideal for Gazelle, light and accurate. I fly with it without any curve adjustments.

I had to add curves, but yes, because the center spring is so light I absolutely love my CH Fighterstick for Gazelle and Huey. It makes me feel good when I see people with Warthogs or ProFlight Puma controls that can't fly Huey as well as me, even though my controls are 8 years old, and the tech is even older than that!!!

For mine I run 22 curve and 80% on the Y axis. Seems to fly fairly nice for me. I am gonna try the suggested 40-50% Y axis/no curve and see how it flies.

~Rob
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
Harlikwin

Honestly out of all the helo's the GAZ is the easiest for me to fly/land and I'm not really good with helos.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
kotor633

I hope you bring out some more informative videos. I personally appreciate your videos very much! And even more I would be happy if you could bring out for the module Mi-8 also such helpful videos.

kannschd au ruhich uf schwäbisch schwätza
kotor633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
CHPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotor633 View Post
I hope you bring out some more informative videos. I personally appreciate your videos very much! And even more I would be happy if you could bring out for the module Mi-8 also such helpful videos.

kannschd au ruhich uf schwäbisch schwätza
"Dangschee"

Because in the Ugly Angel Squad we start training in the Mi-8 in the coming weeks or months, it will be not unlikely that there are also some Mi-8 Videos produced in 2019.

"gugsch halt emo mol wido rei"
Old 04-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
kotor633

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHPL View Post

it will be not unlikely that there are also some Mi-8 Videos produced in 2019.
kotor633 is offline   Reply With Quote