2.5 Upgrade path

hollow

Since DCS installer can copy data between various installations on HDD, I think it's better to keep them installed so you won't have to download the whole Nevada and other assets from the internet again. Of course only if you have enough room on the HDD for another copy.

HDD it's not a big problem nowadays. We are talking about SSD here Sir ;) And on the top of that updater sometimes doesn't see the "donor repository" on other drives :music_whistling:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Oh man....I hope Wags didn't jinx himself "Given this, we will be releasing DCS World 2.5 by late-January 2018. This is not an estimate, this is a promise." You just never know in technology.

:)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well I think I’m gonna keep 1.5.8 release for a while after the big merge arrives and just delete 2.2 open alpha and 2.5 open beta. My reasoning being if the new Cacausus map isn’t optimised well (and I really hope it is - looks awesome) then at least I’ll have something to fall back to that I know is pretty decent fps wise and I won’t lose any flying time. I’m still having some fps issues with 2.2 NTTR and Normandy, so presumably the new Caucasus will have a similar fps state.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Well I think I’m gonna keep 1.5.8 release for a while after the big merge arrives and just delete 2.2 open alpha and 2.5 open beta. My reasoning being if the new Cacausus map isn’t optimised well (and I really hope it is - looks awesome) then at least I’ll have something to fall back to that I know is pretty decent fps wise and I won’t lose any flying time. I’m still having some fps issues with 2.2 NTTR and Normandy, so presumably the new Caucasus will have a similar fps state.

Interesting - I get MUCH better performance in 2.2 than 1.5.8 beta..

now i replaced my 500 hdd with a 480gb ssd + 1tb hdd.

i will be using my ssd for this sim only.

i assume that open beta will be released first and i will install it.

after release version comes out, will i have to download all data or will it use open beta's files?

(i have never used open beta before and after i install release version, i will delete OB)

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

1. Now I have 1.5 stable installed on my D:/ HDD 2 TB drive (used for games and personal data), but I think I will install the new 2.5 on my C:/ 500 GB drive (used for OS and software other than games). I hope no deactivation/activation is needed and some data could be moved from D: to C: without have to download it again, we'll see.

2. I hope HOTAS configuration files from 1.5 could be used in 2.5 without issues...

now i replaced my 500 hdd with a 480gb ssd + 1tb hdd.

i will be using my ssd for this sim only.

i assume that open beta will be released first and i will install it.

after release version comes out, will i have to download all data or will it use open beta's files?

(i have never used open beta before and after i install release version, i will delete OB)

Might help to put the OS and the sim on SSD. Why dedicate the SSD goodness just for the sim? pagefile access etc for Windows would certainly appreciate the SSD.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

pagefile access etc for Windows would certainly appreciate the SSD.

This is true, but SSDs have a finite amount of writes/rewrites, and a swapfile thus significantly reduces the life of a SSD.

I actually use a separate, older SSD for my swapfile (and also doubles for temp folders and cloud sync). This way, I'm burning up a drive that's inexpensive and essentially surplus (but with the speed benefits), and I'm not putting my OS drive at risk.

I would agree with the caveat that lifetime of SSD seems to be an over blown issue. However, your advice still makes sense. I actually have a 128GB SSD that I wasn't using anymore that I can now re-purpose.

Also, for me, it's a more-or-less dedicated gaming rig so even the SSD bit the dust, I'm only out the time to restore from weekly backup.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I have a question on the 2.5 upgrade.

I get why it's useful to have 2.2 installed, as 2.5 will be copying over the aircraft and terrains.

What I don't understand is what will be copied from 1.5.8? Sure, it has the Caucusus terrain, but with it's update, will anything actually be used?

Just curious about how much is likely to be copied from 1.5.8, as if it's really low, my intent would be to delete it now and focused purely on 2.x

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I have a question on the 2.5 upgrade.

I get why it's useful to have 2.2 installed, as 2.5 will be copying over the aircraft and terrains.

What I don't understand is what will be copied from 1.5.8? Sure, it has the Caucusus terrain, but with it's update, will anything actually be used?

Just curious about how much is likely to be copied from 1.5.8, as if it's really low, my intent would be to delete it now and focused purely on 2.x

Nothing will be used from 1.5. it will remain unsupported in case other users want to play it.

Enviado desde mi Moto Z Play mediante Tapatalk

Missions and Campaign files from 1.5.8.x and also the activations for the PayDLCs

Makes sense. So not much in the way of actual data (certainly nothing like a terrain).

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.