Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

MadTommy

Hi guys, appreciate this appears to be mainly triple screen setups, but may I ask if this technique would also work for a 4K tv and a small monitor to display my mfds on.

I am using a 55” 4K tv at 3840 × 2160 and have just purchased a small single monitor running at 1366 x 768 to display my MFDs on with the Cougar MFDs taped over the screen.

Am I right in assuming, that I can use this same technique to make this work. I’m assuming that I just add the 2160 & 768 together to get my width and 3840 & 1366 for my height?

Cowboy10uk

I tested that on my UW display. And it worked

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3305942&postcount=4

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm running nVidia surround with 3 x 27" monitors. Surround resolution is 5816 x 1080 (bezel corrected).

In game, the horizon on the side monitors is slanted,and i've tried FOV adjustments and it just doesnt looks natural (like triple screen settings in Project CARS, AC, etc.)

What do I need to change, and in what .lua to adjust for this?

Edit: I tried adding the "viewRoll = [absolute angle in degrees]" to my triplescreen.lua but it will not populate on the list in-game. where in the .lua should it be added?

Edited by PunchOut

Rig: intel i9-9900kf @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming

I'm running nVidia surround with 3 x 27" monitors. Surround resolution is 5816 x 1080 (bezel corrected).

In game, the horizon on the side monitors is slanted,and i've tried FOV adjustments and it just doesnt looks natural (like triple screen settings in Project CARS, AC, etc.)

What do I need to change, and in what .lua to adjust for this?

Edit: I tried adding the "viewRoll = [absolute angle in degrees]" to my triplescreen.lua but it will not populate on the list in-game. where in the .lua should it be added?

Are you running 1 screen or 3 screen? The latter avoids dide stretching etc but does give a strange perspective unless like me you are about 70cms from the middle screen and zoomed in to life-size view of the cockpit. Of course that means your instruments will be out of sight (I have a fourth monitor below for that).

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Are you running 1 screen or 3 screen? The latter avoids dide stretching etc but does give a strange perspective unless like me you are about 70cms from the middle screen and zoomed in to life-size view of the cockpit. Of course that means your instruments will be out of sight (I have a fourth monitor below for that).

i'm running it in '3 screens'

I have trackIR so no 4th monitor at the moment (no room since my racing wheel sits right below the center screen)

Rig: intel i9-9900kf @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm sorry but I need your help. Can someone have a look at my monitor lua file and let me know where on earth Ive gone wrong.

I'm running a single 4K TV at 3840 x 2160 and a small 1920 x 1080 screen for my mfds.

The mfds export beautifully onto the second screen, But the GUI ALWAYS expands across to the 2nd screen as well the moment I select 5670 x 2160 res in the settings menu, which I need to allow the mfds to be exported.

I cant for the life of me get the GUI to only be displayed on the main screen.

any advice or help would be very greatfully recieved

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('mfd export');

Description = 'One monitor configuration'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840;

height = 2160;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 3845;

y = 75;

width = 854;

height = 854;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 4904;

y = 76;

width = 854;

height = 854;

}

--CDU_EXPORT

--UIMainView = Viewports.Center

GUI=

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 3840;

height = 2160;

}}

Cowboy10uk

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Hi Cowboy10UK,

I guess I found your mistake. Replace the line

"UIMainView = Viewports.GUI"

to

"UIMainView = GUI"

For me this works like charm.

Please let me know if this helped you.

Xoxen

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Hi Cowboy10UK,

I guess I found your mistake. Replace the line

"UIMainView = Viewports.GUI"

to

"UIMainView = GUI"

For me this works like charm.

Please let me know if this helped you.

Xoxen

Damn youre fantastic. That bugger has been keeping me guessing for the last 5 hours.

Now it all works.

THANKYOU Mate :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Man,, you got lucky,, I know the feeling, something so simple, yet so obscure! Congrats on your fast fix!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Man,, you got lucky,, I know the feeling, something so simple, yet so obscure! Congrats on your fast fix!

I know, I just couldn’t see the issue for love nor money, despite setting up several multi monitor systems in the past.

Now Xoxen kindly pointed that out it was blooming obvious, but damn was it doing my head in.

At least the age old rule still applys here, if all else fails and you’re about to throw the pc out the window, swallow your pride and ask the forums for help. :thumbup:

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Cowboy,

for me this was easier than for you as I was able to compare your Monitor.lua with mine. But I´m always happy if I can help out with knowledge which took me some hours to figure them out by myself long time ago ;) So I was aware of your pain and needed to help.

Have fun with DCS and the right Position of the GUI now.

Xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

G'Dammit, windows just did an update and now I'm back to square 1 with the GUI spread over both screens again, meaning once again I cant access most of the buttons, and now the darn GUI tweak doesn't even bloody work.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

G'Dammit, windows just did an update and now I'm back to square 1 with the GUI spread over both screens again, meaning once again I cant access most of the buttons, and now the darn GUI tweak doesn't even bloody work.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Cowboy10uk

you prob want to define the GUI to the Left-most screen for the resolution af that screen

(I've been doing this for ages now with 4 screens, because DCS won't fix it)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

ok guys, I surrender. I cannot for the life of me get the GUI working on just the main screen of 3840 x 2160 and now just to add another complication into my life, the file I was editing is no longer seen by DCS so I cant select it via the drop down menu.

Tried the last fix which worked last time, but that isn't working either.

my mfd export.LUA is below, could someone please please kindly look at it and either tell me where I went wrong, or even better fix the darn thing.

Cowboy10uk

mfd export.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If DCS doesn't recognize the file there's a syntax error, usually a missing comma, semicolon, or parenthesis.

If DCS doesn't recognize the file there's a syntax error, usually a missing comma, semicolon, or parenthesis.

Gliptal you are a bloody genius. After walking away for a beer and came back and saw your reply, so took a another look, a closer look going letter by letter.

discovered a missing } just after the last line on the right MFD, entered it, saved and not only is dcs now seeing the file, the GUI is also working.

I guessing that the GUI was still using the default single monitor config that appears to have the same name, so while I was thinking it was using my one, all the time it wasn't seeing it at all.

Anyway, thanks again, I may have missed my flight window by a good 2 hours but at least the darn thing is working and working well it appears.

Rep incoming

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cowboy,

Which editor are you using? I use Ultraedit, but Notepad++ (free) has the option where you can line up the }[(.

If you see the pic below, notice how the editor highlights in gray the parens/brackets automatically. Helps to keep your sanity! :)

VojgmRy.gif

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Cowboy,

Which editor are you using? I use Ultraedit, but Notepad++ (free) has the option where you can line up the }[(.

If you see the pic below, notice how the editor highlights in gray the parens/brackets automatically. Helps to keep your sanity! :)

VojgmRy.gif

I was using Notepad, I know I know, It’s not well liked. I have however downloaded notepad ++ yesterday so will use that from now on.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing wrong with Notepad for use as a scratch sheet of paper. Especially if you want to rip out formatting! Just not for editing LUA code :)

FYI, I don't use Notepad++ since I've been using UltraEdit for like 10+ years. But you *may* have to let NP++ know that it should syntax highlight and code fold LUA files. Code folding is nice because you can instantly collapse a particular section of code.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've been reading alot but still have a problem. I have 2 screens. I want my two MFD's shown on my second screen.

Now the screens stays black.

Resolution is changed in game so that works.

Can someone help me?

Main: 1080x1920

Second: 1024x1280

My Lau file:

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('MP');

Description = 'Left MFCD on the left monitor,Right MFCD on the right and camera on the center'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.77778;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 1921;

y = 0;

width = 620;

height = 620;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 2580;

y = 0;

width = 620;

height = 620;

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

LEFT_MFCD = Viewports.LEFT_MFCD

RIGHT_MFCD = Viewports.RIGHT_MFCD

i5 7600K OC 4.4, MSI Z270 Sli plus GTX 1080 OC, 2x16 GB Memory 3000 MHz, Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog, VKB pedals TrackIR 5.

MFCD's need to be included in viewports brackets. Delete 2 bottom lines:

LEFT_MFCD = Viewports.LEFT_MFCD

RIGHT_MFCD = Viewports.RIGHT_MFCD

Yes it worked. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you so much!

Can I asked you something else?

I want to remove the cockpit MFD's so that the only mfd is on my second screen. So I dont have to render 4 mfd's.

Ive found a old post but that didn't work.

i5 7600K OC 4.4, MSI Z270 Sli plus GTX 1080 OC, 2x16 GB Memory 3000 MHz, Windows 10

Yes it worked. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you so much!

Can I asked you something else?

I want to remove the cockpit MFD's so that the only mfd is on my second screen. So I dont have to render 4 mfd's.

Ive found a old post but that didn't work.

I find the right LAU the disable the mfd in cockpit. Problem solved.

The right one: Scripts\Aircrafts\ _common\cockpit