do you like the Gaz or Huey

the power that this single 590 hp Gazelle engine

Doesn't the SA-342 have the 870 hp Astazou XIV engine?

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

善く戦う者は、まず勝つべからざるを為して、以て敵の勝つべきを待つ。

As PickleMonster already mentioned, turn off force feedback. It completely breaks the controls (think something like huge deadzone and extremely weird behavior), unlike every other module without FFB that at least defaults to a normal spring-loaded stick.

It was announced ages ago as not being developed any further and has never been fixed (despite promises as such).

Which is why I have pretty much zero expectations of seeing it for the Kiowa, and a significant reason to reconsider buying it. Works wonderfully in the Huey, Mi-8 and especially the KA-50.

https://www.defense.gouv.fr/terre/equipements/materiels-specifiques/alat/combat

Once more on the breach,the poor little gazelle is object of vindicate by players who are unable to control it.

The fact that you are able to fly a model in the real life doesn't mean you will be able to do same in a simulator;It depend too much of your péripherics to make comments and compare.

https://www.convertworld.com/fr/puissance/kilowatt/kw-en-hp.html

480 kw = 644 hp

649 kw = 870 hp

Some have time to waste.:music_whistling:

Edited by cromhunt

Real Gazelle is stunning, no so far from the sim:

Sorry about the off topic but take a look to the cousin of the Gazelle

The Alouette III in a Acrobatic Portuguese Air Force Team

This is why I went for the Gazelle as my 1st chopper

Edited by vhsousa

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
https://www.defense.gouv.fr/terre/equipements/materiels-specifiques/alat/combat

Once more on the breach,the poor little gazelle is object of vindicate by players who are unable to control it.

The fact that you are able to fly a model in the real life doesn't mean you will be able to do same in a simulator;It depend too much of your péripherics to make comments and compare.

https://www.convertworld.com/fr/puissance/kilowatt/kw-en-hp.html

480 kw = 644 hp

649 kw = 870 hp

Some have time to waste.:music_whistling:

Perhaps you should get a few hours in a helo or two yourself, before you make an utter ass out of yourself talking about controlling a helicopter in a sim. I can fly most REALISTIC sim models just fine with both my own flight controls, and the ones furnished by my employer. In all honesty, the DCS Huey, Mi8, and Ka50 are done quite well. This Gazelle sim is complete rubbish. There is no justification otherwise.

EC145 Pilot and Cromhunt, lets see the logged flighthours ;)

Just joking.

I know Cromhunt and have talked to him a bit and I do know what he flew in RL.

I never talked to you EC1145 Pilot and I can guarantee you, Cromhunt does know more about the Gazelle then even we do ;)

But maybe you want to ask him yourself why ;)

Merry christmas.

No room for hate here these days.

Millenuim falcon, ohh, yeah that would be awesome, we could then go hunt stars, hmm, never thought about it

Have a nice holidays anyways ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Have just started playing DCS and my first model was the Gazelle which I fly in VR with the Warthog HOTAS. Have the Mi8 from Steam, but can't port it to standalone. Have just bought the Huey for standalone DCS. Love the Gazelle. It's like driving a small, european sportscar (or 2CV) 5-10 meters above the ground :D

• 2 years later...

Wow! I really would love to experience Gazelle. I have all the helicopters in DCS besides Gazelle, where my favorites are Mi-8 and Mi-24. I heard terrible things about gazelle and saw in game videos of some ufo behavior. 

After reading all of real pilots comments (I envy you all btw) has there been any corrections in the FM in last years?  

Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Rapierarch said:

After reading all of real pilots comments (I envy you all btw) has there been any corrections in the FM in last years?

There have been adjustments to how control/joystick inputs "feel" (best used with the dev's recommended curve and saturation settings) and it's in active development ATM with new gun and rocket pods being added to it's loadouts and multi-crew improvements that allow both pilot and commander interact with the same switches.

However, the current FM still has it's known limitations (to fix those will require the updated/improved FM modelling developed for the Kiowa).

TL;DR: It's said to have the light control of the "light helicopter" it is but is missing some important FM features, it's still one of my favourite helicopters to fly in DCS and I have plenty of flight hours if I aggregate my time flying the M, L and Mistral versions - but obviously YMMV.

1 hour ago, Rapierarch said:

Wow! I really would love to experience Gazelle.

Why not use the 14 day "Free Trial" feature of DCS Standalone to try the Gazelle for yourself.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

22 hours ago, Ramsay said:

However, the current FM still has it's known limitations (to fix those will require the updated/improved FM modelling developed for the Kiowa).

Hmm it's a pity that we need to wait so long for that. I'm not 100% sure but I believe Kiowa does not have a rigid rotor hub system. How it is going to help Gazelle to use that model to fix the issues mentioned in this topic? Anyway I'm just thinking out loud. 

I prefer to wait until an update is released. It takes another 6 months until the counter resets. 

Thanks for the info. It is nice to know that they are working on Gazelle. 

15 hours ago, Rapierarch said:

... I believe Kiowa does not have a rigid rotor hub system. How it is going to help Gazelle to use that model to fix the issues mentioned in this topic?

The intrinsic problems with the Gazelle's FM are deeper than missing rigid rotor hub features, hence Polychop's decision to redo the Gazelle FM afresh based off their improved Kiowa FM adjusted with feedback from Gazelle SME's, etc.

This is my current understanding of the Gazelle's FM

Incorrect/not modelled
-------------------------
- Cyclic [position?] is not correct for the most commonly used trim system
- Blow back effect is not there due to wrong cyclic "curves" [might be there if the cyclic wasn't always centered]
- Hover Pedal turn does not require compensation with other controls (perhaps SAS is a factor in the real)
- Pedal turn does not cause the helicopter to climb/descend as it draws more/less torque (real takes time for it's engine governor to adjust).
- Forward flight transition: transverse flow - left roll component is missing 

Summary - the biggest issues with the Gazelle are cyclic position and perhaps inertia but that [inertia] is something that requires SME feedback on what "feels" right, rather than coming from the new flight model.

New FM - All these are already fixed/modelled in the new FM and will become part Gazelle's FM after the KW is released.

Correct/modelled
-------------------
+ Left/right pedal increases/decreases torque
+ Dynamic/static roll-over
+ Ground Effect
+ Right skid low in hover
+ Cyclic sensitivity (ignoring wrong position "suck in the middle")
+ Forward flight transition: pitching forward - loses lift/altitude
+ ETL is modelled i.e. translational lift
+ Loss of lift due to bank angle in a turn, amount of increased torque/thrust required to maintain altitude i.e. 60° bank requires twice as much torque as level flight.

Additional Comments
-----------------------
- VRS may need looking at again as it seems you can always "pull through it" using enough collective, perhaps the parameter threshold is too small.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

12 hours ago, Ramsay said:

This is my current understanding of the Gazelle's FM

Hey many thanks for detailed information of state of development. I really want to have one of those roller coasters Gazelle or B0-105 whichever gets released with good enough FM first. 

According to that list it is better for me to wait for the fix to make my first impression with her. I hope this happens soon. 

Thanks again.