Spitfire first take-off; first "landing" observations

• ED Team
I just cannot land the damn thing. The touchdown is OK, but after that the plane wants to veer off, and I usually hit the ground with a wingtip - or both. How do you keep it straight?

I had the same difficulty at first. You really need to be dancing the rudders with gentle inputs and quickly react to it starting to veer. If you watch real videos of the Mk. IX landing, you'll notice a lot o rudder play.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
I just cannot land the damn thing. The touchdown is OK, but after that the plane wants to veer off, and I usually hit the ground with a wingtip - or both. How do you keep it straight?

Use the force. Wheelbrakes force. Just after touchdown you need to align and stabilize the plane, then as the speed bleeds start to apply brakes to keep steering authority.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

"kill count" so far:

3 of 3 takeoffs successfull, but guess they dont get a good rating for style :D

3 landings, well, one burning spit, one that went of the runway and broke the prop, and one actualy good one, but then i kicked in the brakes without thinking about it, lol, broke me one prop blade, but otherwise no damage.

i definatly killed more 51's, 190's and 109's on the first attempts :)

how about you gents?

regards,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

It's very surprising, takes off very quickly, but not easy to land without scratches on the wings ;)

What a beauty!

Please anyone ? i need to switch off the mirror and even toggle mirror does not work

You have to map this control, it's not mapped by default.

When you toggle it, the image will just freeze, like in the M-2000C. It's very misleading, hopefully they'll find a better way to switch it off in the future, but in the mean time it'll save you some framerate :)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

It's very surprising, takes off very quickly, but not easy to land without scratches on the wings ;)

What a beauty!

You have to map this control, it's not mapped by default.

When you toggle it, the image will just freeze, like in the M-2000C. It's very misleading, hopefully they'll find a better way to switch it off in the future, but in the mean time it'll save you some framerate :)

Thanks for the reply Red, I have mapped it already LALT + M but the image does not freeze, I will try it out again.

BTW i land her without any problems

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

I feel the aircraft is super sensitive in how it pitches with my HOTAS Warthog. Definitely a learning curve.

Achieving World Peace - One 2000lb JDAM at a time.

Intel i7 9700K, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz , ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S.

~

Proud Member of the 62nd Fighting Falcons

~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I recall a spit pilot saying, you don't fly a Spitfire, you put it on. (As in wearing it and it just does all you ask),

Had the good fortune to get in one and close the cockpit, Felt claustrophobic, that bubble felt really small and those wings looked huge vision blockers...you were really on your own in there, brave men, a humbling few moments by the history of that aircraft and also respect for those who flew them, so we could enjoy this.

You watch I'll trash 10 planes before I get to the runway

Ok hotas/mfg crosswinds, and all I'm doing is pitching over and ripping the wing tips off,

No assistance on t/o,....so I'm not taking off yet, get further if I am gentle on the controls. But when it swings, we're off to the grass.

I thought you had to have left rudder to control swing, or I may be overdoing that.

Time for coffee/breakfast, sun is coming up, will go read the take off manual again and buy the Erk's a coffee...sorry about the 7 bent Spits lads...

May only get back midday ish, but any observations appreicated. That t/o video of the MK1 is very good too.

She is incredibly agile. Handle her like a thoroughbred, skittish and temperamental, but when you give her a free rein, incredible!

In comparison, the FW-190 feels like a donkey, the P-51D feels like a mule, and the Bf-109 feels like a cart horse!

I love the responsiveness of the rudder. As soon as you open the throttle you have plenty of rudder authority - unlike the 109.

Maybe I am biased because of all the hype surrounding the Spitfire, but if the flight model is close to the real thing, I can understand why pilots express undying love for her.

Take off rolls are tricky until you get used to her ways. I leave the elevator neutral, with neutral trim, feed in some aileron to counteract the torque, and start with a neutral rudder, correcting with small but fast inputs. The critical bit I find is when the tail comes up, but once that happens, she just lifts off on her own.

Taxiing was difficult until I learned to modulate the brakes and use smaller rudder inputs.

Landings are all down to a turning approach to keep the runway visual, gentle touchdowns, with a little power, so you retain rudder authority. Once down, the worst part is the tendency to swing as the speed drops away and rudder authority is lost. You have to be really gentle on the brakes to keep her in check.

Mine have been pretty rough, seems like the pitch axis is really sensitive - may need to add some more curvature to it.

Beautiful plane, love the sound on the fly by!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

take-off landing

i7 5960x 3.0@4.2GHz/ DDR4 16Gb 3000MHz @ / ASUS Rampage v крайняя x99 / SSD 240GB ASUS RAIDR Экспресс PCIe / 2xSSD 512GB raid.0 / 2xHDD 1Tb raid.0 / GeForce GTX Titan X / ASUS Rog Swift PG348Q 3440x1440/ HOTAS Warthog ™ / TrackIR 5