[REPORTED] Spitfire propeller with motion smoothing/ASW

Reflected

I didn't notice any difference between the Spitfire and the 109 or the uh-1h, or even the default tf51 ?

I must say I did a fresh install of DCS World 1.5.7 Open Beta, and bought those modules to install again, so, there was no DCS in my disk before last week install.

Everything running nice and smooth at 60 fps with my rather old i5 2500 and gtx 960.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't notice any difference between the Spitfire and the 109 or the uh-1h, or even the default tf51 ?

I must say I did a fresh install of DCS World 1.5.7 Open Beta, and bought those modules to install again, so, there was no DCS in my disk before last week install.

Everything running nice and smooth at 60 fps with my rather old i5 2500 and gtx 960.

I recently did a fresh install of 2.1, and the difference in FPS persists. And only as long as the prop is in view. It looks VERY different from the other prop planes. I would be really curious about the FPS in a Spit with the same prop texture as the P-51 or 109.

I recently did a fresh install of 2.1, and the difference in FPS persists. And only as long as the prop is in view. It looks VERY different from the other prop planes. I would be really curious about the FPS in a Spit with the same prop texture as the P-51 or 109.

Ok, I see, probably different to me because I am still on 1.5.7 - no v2 here.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Yep, it's probably all about the prop. It was a resource hog after release, then they've tweaked it a bit, but since prop animation in the Mustang pretty much doesn't exist (and is barely visible ones in remaining birds), an fps hit in the Spit is a given :D. Perhaps more noticeable in 2.1.1, but as Some1's recent benchmarking tests showed, some difference was already there in 1.5.6.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

[REPORTED] Spitfire propeller with motion smoothing/ASW

Gonna copy and paste this into the bug section in the hope that devs will see and fix the problem.

Motion smoothing for me is the best thing that has happened to VR and DCS since getting it. Almost all of the modules are perfectly smooth with only a few artifacts here and there, that are more than compensated for by the fluid gameplay, and ability to increase graphics settings.

With MS planes such as the 190 and 109 are not affected by propeller artifacts in VR at all, and the mustang is to a much lesser, more playable extent. This is I think because the propellers in those modules, once they get going are practically invisible anyway.

The only trouble is my favorite module the spitfire, with a very heavy handed propeller is quite badly affected by motion smoothing artifacts. I know asking for the propeller to be changed so it works more like the 109's, might be impossible, but do you think devs that it might be possible to provide an option for VR users to tune it down, or try to optimize the spit so it can work better with motion smoothing/ASW? I know, probably not, due to how it would upset the rest of the DCS community not using VR who like the propeller as it is, but I just thought I would asksmile.gif!

I honestly think for DCS performance its things like this that will improve the VR experience, perhaps even more than the coming VR optimizations and Vulkan. With MS on I find the game runs as well as a normal game.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Any news on a fix for this extremely annoying graphical glitch that makes flying the Spit in VR pretty unpleasant for those who use Motion Smoothing or ASW?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Any news on a fix for this extremely annoying graphical glitch that makes flying the Spit in VR pretty unpleasant for those who use Motion Smoothing or ASW?

Don't use it, and you won't have this issue. I use OTT and force off ASW so I don't have this ASW slideshow issues. Matter of fact using OTT with Forced ASW off gives me way more FPS too. Turning off all SSAO in SteamVR and Force off ASW in Rift also makes a big difference.

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Don't use it, and you won't have this issue. I use OTT and force off ASW so I don't have this ASW slideshow issues. Matter of fact using OTT with Forced ASW off gives me way more FPS too. Turning off all SSAO in SteamVR and Force off ASW in Rift also makes a big difference.

As you can see from my profile, I don’t have a Rift so no OTT. Still, I’m afraid that is not the answer. The benefits of Motion Smoothing (Vive Equivalent to ASW) greatly outweigh this annoying bug in prop planes in DCS.

Needs fixing as has been reported on in many threads.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

As you can see from my profile, I don’t have a Rift so no OTT. Still, I’m afraid that is not the answer. The benefits of Motion Smoothing (Vive Equivalent to ASW) greatly outweigh this annoying bug in prop planes in DCS.

Needs fixing as has been reported on in many threads.

You can use the ott tool with the vive . Just encase you didn’t know this.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

You can use the ott tool with the vive . Just encase you didn’t know this.

Thanks, I use SteamVR to switch options like Motion Smoothing. As I said, I like MS, without it things - like cockpit dials - look horrible when moving head left and right for example. However, this has been discussed ad nauseum already in these forums!

Thanks, I use SteamVR to switch options like Motion Smoothing. As I said, I like MS, without it things - like cockpit dials - look horrible when moving head left and right for example. However, this has been discussed ad nauseum already in these forums!

The steamvr motion smoothing is also not as good as ott.

The steamvr motion smoothing is also not as good as ott.

Not as good as OTT in what respect? I don’t see what it can do for Vive Pro owners at all.

Not as good as OTT in what respect? I don’t see what it can do for Vive Pro owners at all.

Well you can’t make a informed decision unless you try it.

Well you can’t make a informed decision unless you try it.

Is it a secret, or are you going to tell us what the benefit is?

I can’t even see how OTT will work with the Vive Pro. I used it when I had a Rift.

• 5 months later...

Just hopped back in the Spit today after a while, and I can't believe this still hasn't been fixed.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• 2 weeks later...

I own Spit, (besides Dora, Mess, Mustang), for more than 1,5 year now; beautiful and iconic bird, nice skins, really good fly model, but...

...but as I fly VR only, until now, I´ve spent less than ONE hour in Spit´s cockpit, only because of this issue.

In contrary, I fly all my three other ww birds pretty frequently.

one cannot beliewe, that this thread started almost three years ago..

...sad story

:(:(:(

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

• ED Team

Hi

Sorry this one has taken so long, I have asked the team for an update on this issue.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

Sorry this one has taken so long, I have asked the team for an update on this issue.

thank you

Thanks!!! :thumbup:

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...