Please bring back object size settings! - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #21
cypc

Object size setting is not the correct answer to 2k+ screen visibility issues, it was broken and so rightfully removed by ED.
For those of you who don't remember, it was also enlarging ground and static units, leading to absolutely ugly things like a factory 4 times bigger than the rest of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Would be nice to see the view system redone so that people with different monitor/resolutions see pretty much the same thing
This sounds more like a proper solution

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."
cypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #22
Greekbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypc View Post

Object size setting is not the correct answer to 2k+ screen visibility issues, it was broken and so rightfully removed by ED.
For those of you who don't remember, it was also enlarging ground and static units, leading to absolutely ugly things like a factory 4 times bigger than the rest of the city.

While I agree an overhaul to the system would be great. Allowing us to adjust the the objects was much better than it is now. In fact if they gave us individual settings for air and ground objects that would be a great fix for the time being. The user can adjust to their preferences especially with so many different setups out there. The nice thing is these settings won't effect you negatively in any way. The way it is now many of us with higher resolutions can't fly without a label mod because objects are too small to see and completely unrealistic. The great thing about what I'm asking for is if you don't want to change your settings then you won't have to. If you don't want them on a competitive MP Server don't allow them. But for a large number of us this would fix a big problem with DCS and allow us to make it much more realistic and enjoyable.
i7 8700K @ 5.0Ghz I ASUS Maximus Hero X Z370 I 64GB G Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 I ASUS STRIX GTX 1080Ti I Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD I TM Warthog HOTAS I VPC Mongoose T-50 Stick Base I MFG Crosswind Pedals I 4K 50" I TrackIR 5 W/ Wireless LukeClip

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

Last edited by Greekbull; 03-13-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Greekbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #23
Canada_Moose

Smartscale in BMS 4.33 works really well. I believe research attached to it shows that its actually more realistic too in terms of real world visibility levels.
Could certainly use something similar in DCS
Canada_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #24
DayGlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypc View Post

The beauty of the system is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to

I7 4820@4.7Ghz - 16Gb Ram - X79 Asus Sabertooth MB - GTX 1080ti - Windows 10
DayGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #25
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladman View Post
I'll assume your logic is correct. Given that I think it fair to say that a proper object sizing option becomes even more relevant if we are at all (as a community) interested in an even playing field.
Does. Not. Exist. It doesn't even exist on consoles, where people can still have variable TVs or turbo controllers.

I have a full cockpit (including a dozen or so control panels and soon to be professional grade controls), triple monitors, head tracking, and my ENTIRE system is liquid cooled top end electronics. A guy playing with a 960 and logitech entry level HOTAS is grossly, inconceivably disadvantaged.

"Variable pixel size" is the least of the "inequalities" in this environment lol
Old 03-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
Gladman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
Does. Not. Exist. It doesn't even exist on consoles, where people can still have variable TVs or turbo controllers.

I have a full cockpit (including a dozen or so control panels and soon to be professional grade controls), triple monitors, head tracking, and my ENTIRE system is liquid cooled top end electronics. A guy playing with a 960 and logitech entry level HOTAS is grossly, inconceivably disadvantaged.

"Variable pixel size" is the least of the "inequalities" in this environment lol

I would suggest we try to keep this on topic and as civil as possible.
Gladman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #27
Greekbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post

While your right there are advantages to some equipment...in your scenario the guy with the 960 and logitech can simply go spend a few thousand dollars and be right there with you so you really don't have a competitive advantage that's not easily overcomable. With the Pixel limitations as it stands now there is no solution. You likely have an advantage on me in any scenario assuming your monitors aren't 4K that I can't overcome without adjusting object size. And again we want this to be something the host can turn on or off so this will not negatively effect anyone.
i7 8700K @ 5.0Ghz I ASUS Maximus Hero X Z370 I 64GB G Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 I ASUS STRIX GTX 1080Ti I Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD I TM Warthog HOTAS I VPC Mongoose T-50 Stick Base I MFG Crosswind Pedals I 4K 50" I TrackIR 5 W/ Wireless LukeClip

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Old 03-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #28
zhukov032186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladman View Post
I would suggest we try to keep this on topic and as civil as possible.
My comment was both on topic and civil, despite not being what you want to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekbull View Post
While your right there are advantages to some equipment...in your scenario the guy with the 960 and logitech can simply go spend a few thousand dollars and be right there with you so you really don't have a competitive advantage that's not easily overcomable. With the Pixel limitations as it stands now there is no solution. You likely have an advantage on me in any scenario assuming your monitors aren't 4K that I can't overcome without adjusting object size. And again we want this to be something the host can turn on or off so this will not negatively effect anyone.
You can lower your resolution, technically, and instantly be on the same level, plus higher framerates.

I'm not disputing the request for the feature, that's fine and all. Generally more "options" is rarely a bad thing.

I was just disputing the notion of "level playing field". It doesn't exist. If you take ten different people, you're apt to have 10 wildly different setups with their own strengths and weaknesses, biased with more advantage toward people willing to spend more, or people willing to run lower settings to get a higher framerate, or or or. It's the nature of PC gaming.

He with the deepest pocket or willingness to min/max wins (barring a massive skill discrepancy, all the advantage in the world won't save you if you genuinely suck)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #29
Greekbull

In this day and age of GPUs that are plenty powerful I have no need for more FPS as I'm already above 60 with all settings maxed out in 4K I would think we should be able to enjoy the sim at a resolution of our choosing without the need for labels or a label mod to see and be effective...

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Old 03-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #30
cypc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayGlow View Post
The beauty of the system is that you don't have to use it if you don't want to
This system makes setting up new players more complicated, server owner's life more complicated, troubleshooting more complicated, and doesn't solve the issue for multiplayer, so the solution that doesn't involve a new setting and that will also work in multi is much better.

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

Last edited by cypc; 03-13-2018 at 07:35 PM.
cypc is offline   Reply With Quote