[NO BUG]RPG soldier AI shot from 500m.

pepin1234

Bud when we talk about the main task for this air transport, that is infantry transportation, then we have a problem.

If some of you are experience mission maker you will notice the DCS mission are plenty of armor vehicles. So that mean drop a squad of regular soldiers in the current DCS is useless. For several reasons.

The only way to fix this issue is drooping a squad with many RPG soldiers to face the huge amount of vehicles in our missions.

The fix is that infantry should be made primary unit type in DCS. So really dedicate time to make them dangerous and effective.

- Various unit types, leader, AT, AA, DMR, Sniper, Pioneer, Medic, Controller, Messenger etc.

- proper group management via units hierarchy and commands, instead groups.

- A units to move fairly fast on foot for shorter distances (<10 km)

- possibility to man buildings and roofs

- possibility to dig in proper manner (three main fox holes by time)

- proper firing modes (single fire, accurate firing depending target cover) so combat last long instead second or two.

- AI additions as moral, duty, courage, health.

- radio communications and understanding for dynamics, like easily get units in ANY vehicle that can transport troops to get them moved around and unmount with command as well common sense etc.

Like right now an AI should know how to accept a helicopter ride when called for team/squad. Land close and get them in, fly where they are needed and drop there without any scripting, or complex things. Or nearby APC picks them up and drives to another position, covers them etc.

Like we should be able to get drop infantry squad on building or near it, get them clear it and get to positions for each unit. Doesn't matter if we don't see inside, as their purpose is to be hidden. But seeing infantry crouched or prone on roof, near building corners etc.

A RPG soldier would become far more dangerous from proper mechanics as pop-up from fox hole when armors gets as commanded (firing zones, ranges and so on). So 500 meter shots would be far more rare as those soldiers would be possible hide themselves from prying eyes and that way create ambushes next to roads etc. We would have light helicopters like Gazelle or Kiowa patrolling columns by checking roads sides etc with better visibility if some are preparing to ambush someone (and hence need proper vehicle column logic where you can't destroy all with one pass or few bombs like idiots).

There are so many interesting missions to create in all maps for towns and cities, but when infantry is useless, there is no sense...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well what you mentioned above is too much maybe. I don’t want mention the name of the other simulator to avoid they delete my post. Just to give you track. It is a tank hard core simulator. They have also a kind of retarded infantry but when you are controlling the infantry you can do a lot, like different positions on the ground that allow hide a bit the group of infantry and make a big difference. Not crazy good but useful. What we got now in DCS is like droop potatoes on the battlefield

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all

Infantry is being looked at, especially animations.

Regarding the 500m RPG it is realistic as far as I am aware

thanks

That's great news. Hopefully we can get more types of units. But yeah, I think the engagement distance is fine. Maybe some kind of option to have the infantry hold fire until they are almost certain of a hit would be a good addition though.

• 2 months later...
You wouldn't fire RPG at soft targets like group of soldiers..

I would, in real life the trick is not to try to target individual troops, but to fire at a hard structure (building or wall etc that they're near) and let the blast radius get them..:)

Also if you're on high ground you can fire down to plant an RPG rocket smack in the middle of a platoon.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

For the record I ran these tests today to see how RPG-16's do against armour at 500m (1600 feet) and although they mostly miss at that range, some don't..:)

1- Encyclopaedia-

ooo.png

2- The test setup, a line of 12 RPG-16 missilemen are facing a T-90 500m away that's trundling menacingly towards them at 11mph-

ppp.png

3- Hold the line boys-

rrr.png

4- they open up on the T-90 at 0.3nm (about 500metres)

kkk.png

5- As the range closes the T-90 takes hits..

ttt.png

6- At the end of the battle he's killed all the missilemen after trundling through their line spraying them with MG fire and his main gun, he's still alive but his hit percentage at top right shows he's been hurt-

uuu.png

PS- it's a pity we can't place the men in cover, even small foxholes would be better than nothing.

Edited by PoorOldSpike
  • Like 2