Revisiting the Dora

NineLine

Interview with Erich Brunotte

Nice interview with Erich Brunotte linked by Wags...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2425174#post2425174

Very interesting interview with some "nice to know" facts.

To my understanding he had some interesting critic points on the flight model regarding the transverse stability of the model used during the interview.

Maybe a hint for the developers? :music_whistling:

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Nice interview with Erich Brunotte linked by Wags...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2425174#post2425174

Very interesting interview with some "nice to know" facts.

To my understanding he had some interesting critic points on the flight model regarding the transverse stability of the model used during the interview.

Maybe a hint for the developers? :music_whistling:

It was not an FM issue - the joystick was not loaded with springs at all and for the pilot it was something weird because of unwanted roll input during pulling.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thanks for clearing this up Yo-Yo. The best cook can't work without sharp knives :thumbup:

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This was very cool - Thanks for posting this. Maybe in part 2 Erich will get some more stick-time. I hope that there will be a lot more story telling by him as well. This is priceless.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

im from germany, so i dont need those subtitles.

At first - what a GREAT Clip. I absolute love some random facts, for example in the beginning where he said that they never do preflight checks or idle till the engine was warming up - they just hop in, started the D9 up and full throttle :)

I love facts like these and ususalyl olderys tend to explain stuff with these facts. Also the one where he landed at the village. Great, just great!!

Whats funyn tho, the interviewer asked, if he pressed the brakes, full throttle and then released - he said no. A few moments later he told a story with the landing and take off at the village where he needed the brakes for the full throttle start :D

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

Very cool interview! I noticed that you had him wearing a TrackIR in the beginning, but he never used it in any of the flying sequences. I'm guessing he found it too disorienting, because TrackIR's exponential rotation is totally unlike what you experience in real life. Is that why he didn't wear it in the flying segments?

Also, Yo-Yo, I noticed in the credits that both you and Mr. Kuznetsov did the music for this video. Can you tell me which parts you composed and/or played? Was it the song at the end of the video?

the interviewer asked, if he pressed the brakes, full throttle and then released - he said no. A few moments later he told a story with the landing and take off at the village where he needed the brakes for the full throttle start

It was seventy years ago; memory works a little oddly at that point. My own brain contains decades-old memories of my childhood, that I normally do not remember, but the right cues can recall these.

Edited by Echo38

At first - what a GREAT Clip. I absolute love some random facts, for example in the beginning where he said that they never do preflight checks or idle till the engine was warming up - they just hop in, started the D9 up and full throttle :)

I love facts like these and ususalyl olderys tend to explain stuff with these facts. Also the one where he landed at the village. Great, just great!!

Whats funyn tho, the interviewer asked, if he pressed the brakes, full throttle and then released - he said no. A few moments later he told a story with the landing and take off at the village where he needed the brakes for the full throttle start :D

You forgot that this landing and takeoff never happened, officially :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent!

Some good things he mentioned, very relevant to DCS:

- Always 3-point landing, whether 190 or 109

- Try to keep your landing approach at 200km/h or above

- You very rarely need to apply brakes on takeoff, rudder is enough

The 0.9-1.2 ata comment was interesting. Is it way too low for DCS simply because everyone is full throttle 99% of the time anyway? :D

Are we going to see more neutral tracers in the future?

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old age and probably the fact that they never really needed to do stuff like that unless ... your landing in your wingmans backyard. :)

Reminded me of the story a P-51 ace told in an interview about missing Operation Bodenplatte. He went for a joyride with his wingman through the mountains and when he returned everyone asked how many he shot down. He missed everything and never told anyone till many years later.

What a treat to hear from one of the last few fighter pilots left. :pilotfly: I loved his humor. Interesting insights from his experience.

Check out the San Diego Air and Space Museum on youtube. They have been interviewing pilots from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam in all kinds of airframes. The guy that does the interviews is an ex airforce pilot so most things get covered very well. The stories the pilots tell about the crazy or stupid stuff going on is always the best.

Thanks for posting this.:clap:

Found one comment definitely interesting, how he said the Dora was better for turn fighting than the 109. I thought the 109 had better turn rate than the Dora? Or did he mean that the Dora had lighter stick forces so that made it better for turn fighting because you didn't have to throw your strength into the controls?

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone