Please fix this long-standing bug with steering

bkthunder

Since a very long time, with the exception of a few months during which a patch had resolved the issue (years ago), the MiG-21 can be steered on the ground at very low speed, using only the rudder (without differential brakes).

I have reported it a few times but nobody took a look.

It's very strange and unrealistic that the rudder has so much force to induce a turn at speeds as slow as 5-6 knots (without any wind).

One more thing, again unique to this module, is the aircraft tends to turn left/right even when standing still!

E.g. you line up on the runway, stop with the nose wheel centered, hold the brakes, and slowly but surely, the nose starts to drift left or right and, in F2 view, you can se the nose wheel starting to turn.

Seeing how you have re-started to work on the FM a bit, after so long (and I thank you for that, finally!), can you please have a look at this strange ground behavior?

Thanks!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I will test this and bring this to Dolphins attention not the upcoming days :)

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

I can confirm both the rudder steering at low speeds and the self-steering nosewheel. I've gotten so used to this that I no longer pay attention to it, but it's there.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

This was a design choice. Back at original release it was much more pronounced. It was greatly reduced it after customer complaints about realism. If they wanted to simplify nosewheel steering, they should have had a check box for simple steering, much as WW2 fighters have the option for rudder assistance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since a very long time, with the exception of a few months during which a patch had resolved the issue (years ago), the MiG-21 can be steered on the ground at very low speed, using only the rudder (without differential brakes).

Yes, correct observation, it probably shouldn't be this way. However, the turn rate is very low, too low to make useful turns during taxi. You always have to use brakes to taxi precisely, line up correctly on runway etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes' date=' correct observation, it probably shouldn't be this way. However, the turn rate is very low, too low to make useful turns during taxi. You always have to use brakes to taxi precisely, line up correctly on runway etc.[/quote']

I can taxi a whole lot without touching the brakes, unless for very sharo turns.

Regardless, it's not realistic so why keep it?

We have othe rairplanes such as the L-39 and MiG-15 where you need differential braking, I don't see why this should be "simplified"

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

It is worth noting that per US evalutation, the aircraft's rudder becomes effective at such a low speed that it can be used to keep roughly straight during a fast taxi. I can't tell for sure if it's overmodelled or I just taxi so fast it isn't a factor anyway, though.

It is worth noting that per US evalutation, the aircraft's rudder becomes effective at such a low speed that it can be used to keep roughly straight during a fast taxi. I can't tell for sure if it's overmodelled or I just taxi so fast it isn't a factor anyway, though.

I believe the figure is 30kmh that the manual says the rudder becomes effective enough to taxi with?

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg