Optimal Mach and altitude for maximum range/endurance

amalahama

Is there any way to know optimal Mach and altitude for maximum range or endurance in CDU?

I know there are tables available in the A-10A flight manual, but fighters like F-16 or F/A-18 can give you the figures directly, using CRUS DED page in the first, FPAS page in the last.

Regards!

Edited by amalahama

Nope, nothing in the CDU. The only method for deriving optimum cruise/loiter speeds is via the marks on the AoA gauge.

Mmmmmmm FPAS. If only.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Flying the AoA guage was key to my longest ever DCS A-10C unrefuelled flight, 8 hours and 1 minute.

With the ferry range listed in various sources as 2240 nm I was curious to see what the sim could do non-stop, with no in flight refueling. I started out with full fuel, no weps, and 3 external 600 gallon fuel tanks. Zero wind conditions.

Climb to altitude was slooow. Step climbed higher as fuel was burned and weight decreased. Adjusted airspeed to achieve an AoA between max range and max endurance, as shown on the AoA indicator. Jettisoned external tanks as they ran dry. (although I messed up with the center tank... releasing it while it still had some fuel in it.)

At FL350 with external tanks gone and fuel remaining at approx 4000lbs, I was able to get the fuel burn down to 2000lbs/hr (total). As weight decreased I was able to reduce power and fuel burn. I did not try any higher than FL350. At 7 hours 30 minutes into the flight, both fuel low level caution lights came on with approx. 1000 lbs fuel remaining.

On landing the total flight time 8 hours and 1 minute. Average fuel burn over the 8 hour flight was 2625 lbs/hr. Consumed approx 21000 lbs fuel, with 300 Lbs remaining on landing. At an average g/s of approx. 305 kts. I calculate the total distance covered in this flight at approx 2440 nm.

• Like 1

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

LOL now that is amazing, borderline OCD, but amazing. Rep to you lobo.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Flying the AoA guage was key to my longest ever DCS A-10C unrefuelled flight, 8 hours and 1 minute. ...

Wait, you stood in front of your computer flying during 8 HOURS!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Respect

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Respect

I think he didn't stand in front of it, but used such remarkable invention as this comfy seat

pilotseat.jpg

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

pilotseat.jpg

Cool, left plate for pizza, right for coke? errr OK, just kidding.:chair:

I'm just jealous.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

How, in only 9 posts, did this thread go from optimal Mach and altitude to the consumption of piddle packs... lol

Seems like a natural progression to me!;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You may want to look up what Ctrl-Z does ... :D

Respect

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

How, in only 9 posts, did this thread go from optimal Mach and altitude to the consumption of piddle packs... lol

Oh don't worry about the OT, Eddie's answer satisfied my knolewdge appetite.

And piddle packs are always a fascinating topic of discussion. Specially what to do with them once the flight is over :D

Regards!

• 7 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Nice one!

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png