Why is VR resolution considered to be 'low'?

imacken

I wouldn't call the reverb HD. Its just the current best res wise. It center res is close to my 24" 1080p monitor from 2-3ft. But I can still see mura, SDE and chromatic abberation if i look for those things. Plus it blurs out when looking off center. I figure gen 2.5 sets that come in the next year or two will work to fix those issues.
Me neither, it is a world apart from a CV1 but still quite some way to go before HD monitor quality IMHO.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Thanks for that. Not sure I see the answer though. I use a 4K monitor in DCS as well VR headsets. Currently I use the Index supersampled to 2880x3200 per eye, and don't really have any issues with the res.

I've always felt, from my perspective, that the issue with VR headsets has been SDE not resolution. For example, my current Index has the same 'resolution' as my Vive Pro, but the difference in image quality - and perceived resolution - is huge, partly due to massive reduction in SDE, and use of sub pixels with the RGB display.

I'm not convinced by the 'close to the eye' point either. I mean, sure back with CV1s etc., maybe, but now? I can't see individual pixels easily on my Index, and I couldn't see them when I had a Reverb either.

i have a very similer setup to you, (although mines a 7700k at 5ghz) what settings do you run and what fps does it run at on multiplayer?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr