13) Smoke engines adjustment

14) Added LAU-68 for FFAR

15) Mk5 FFAR HEAT - improved FM

16) Rocket rotation frequency adjustment

17) Dispersion of FFAR increased

18 ) Fix Radar "In Range" indicator doesn't flash when below minimum range

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I did notice , watching some YT videos of the F-5E at about 500-600KT low level,the groundspeed looks slower. I am a real pilote and my feeling is the plane looks to be at about 200-250KT ! Is it a glitch ? It looks correct if you , at least, X2 the playback speed.

Morever, the F5 is able to fly at M 1,64 ( clean), but I have never witnessed it at more than M 1,1 ( at any altitude  ). Can you tell me at what maximum IAS ( or Mach ) have you ever reach ?

Edited by mayo25

On 5/21/2021 at 8:07 AM, mayo25 said:

I did notice , watching some YT videos of the F-5E at about 500-600KT low level,the groundspeed looks slower. I am a real pilote and my feeling is the plane looks to be at about 200-250KT ! Is it a glitch ? It looks correct if you , at least, X2 the playback speed.

Morever, the F5 is able to fly at M 1,64 ( clean), but I have never witnessed it at more than M 1,1 ( at any altitude  ). Can you tell me at what maximum IAS ( or Mach ) have you ever reach ?

I have flown the F-5 at Mach 1.6 in DCS.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

I have done some low level, hi-speed flights in the DCS F-5 at 600-640 knots (NTTR map), and the sense of speed is very realistic.  I am a former USAF fighter pilot (F-111, F-100, A-37) and have done Mach 1.1 at 200-ft in the F-111.  The DCS F-5 under these conditions provided the same sense of speed that I recall from 52 years ago while flying the F-111 at Nellis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mayo25 said:

At what altitude/flight level ?

Somewhere in the 30-40 kft range, don't remember exactly. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

22 hours ago, Bob1943 said:

I have done some low level, hi-speed flights in the DCS F-5 at 600-640 knots (NTTR map), and the sense of speed is very realistic.  I am a former USAF fighter pilot (F-111, F-100, A-37) and have done Mach 1.1 at 200-ft in the F-111.  The DCS F-5 under these conditions provided the same sense of speed that I recall from 52 years ago while flying the F-111 at Nellis.

The A-37 is one of my prefered plane. I am flying the A320/330 and the sens of the speed looks very slow ( like an approach speed ). But you are the man and you should be right !

21 hours ago, Machalot said:

Somewhere in the 30-40 kft range, don't remember exactly. 

ok. Thx.

Edited by mayo25

I recorded a short movie clip of flying the F-5 at low-level to send to a relative who was curious about what it looked like to fly a fighter in a low-level, hi-speed environment.

Here is a YouTube link to it.  You can judge for yourself as to whether it is comparable to what you are seeing on your computer.

Pardon the acrobatics at the end of the movie, thought my relative would be interested to see a loop and an immelmann.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob1943 said:

I recorded a short movie clip of flying the F-5 at low-level to send to a relative who was curious about what it looked like to fly a fighter in a low-level, hi-speed environment.

Here is a YouTube link to it.  You can judge for yourself as to whether it is comparable to what you are seeing on your computer.

Pardon the acrobatics at the end of the movie, thought my relative would be interested to see a loop and an immelmann.

Like that, it looks real.

• 1 month later...

FoV = field of view

The sense of speed depends very much on how much field of view you have.

When zoomed in very much (like Phil at 16:30) you don't have any peripheral vision on the computer screen. Just a tunnel of what's in front of you. That rarely gives an impression of speed.

When zoomed out to a wide angle (you see the whole cockpit) there is much more landscape visible and there further to the side this landscape is, the greater is the perception of speed.

Zoomed in you can look far ahead and the landscape in front of you is just getting bigger.

Zoomed out landscape on the side or in the "peripherical vision" is rushing by.

In the real world one has a pretty wide view with lots of peripherical vision.

Cheers,

Emacs

Edited by Emacs

• 4 months later...

Hi,

The F-5 E is doing:

3 Mk-82's and 2 150 gallon tanks: About 300 knots at military power and climbing at about 1500'/min. Not much faster in level flight. Is this right?

Clean but with the pylons (dropped and jettisoned the ordnance): Mach 0.9 at 10000'

Clean without the pylons: Mach 1.1 at 10000'

Is the pylon drag correct?

It seems to me that the F-5 performance with ordnance is way inferior to what it should be!

/Sture, Aeronautical engineer.

Best Regards

Sture Smidt

DCS-flyer

Find me on Facebook

:joystick:

28 minutes ago, Sierra1 said:

Hi,

The F-5 E is doing:

3 Mk-82's and 2 150 gallon tanks: About 300 knots at military power and climbing at about 1500'/min. Not much faster in level flight. Is this right?

Clean but with the pylons (dropped and jettisoned the ordnance): Mach 0.9 at 10000'

Clean without the pylons: Mach 1.1 at 10000'

Is the pylon drag correct?

It seems to me that the F-5 performance with ordnance is way inferior to what it should be!

/Sture, Aeronautical engineer.

Perhaps you should open a seperate and new topic for this potential bug and add everything needed to make it a bug report instead of posting it in a basically 5 year old topic regarding an update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 3:26 AM, mayo25 said:

At 16Min30 flying at 600kt and it looks slower than yours.

Also, he was flying on Neveda and you're flying on the Caucasus Map.  Some time ago (think it was with 2.0 release), ED doubled the size of trees and reduced their numbers to help improve performance.  To help give perspective, it use to be while doing CSAR you would hover about 15m off the deck to pull a guy out of the trees; Now you have to be about 45m.  With everything appearing bigger, it also means you're appearing to be moving slower.