How to change the trim curves?

isaac18

Just came up with this...we have joystick curves in DCS, and linear axis may not be the best set. I use a curve on the X and Y axis of 15. Trim control is similar to joystick control, both has pitch, bank and yaw inputs, and airplane will respond to them. In some sensitive cases like approach in FS series and A2A refueling in DCSW, feeling using the joystick to adjust elevation is too sensitive, but in fact I only need to adjust the AOA in 2-3 degrees. So I think maybe we can use trim control instead of joystick control in this case. The problem is the trim curves seemed are linear in DCS, that means it's hard to trim the plane just right. So how to change the trim curves? I think there must be a file that contains these datas, but I don't know which. Hope somebody can tell me, thanks.

Trim should never IMO hold the plane completely level. Airflow and power setting etc.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Doing AAR with trim only would be very hard.

You don't need super perfect trim to AAR, just make sure you don't roll, and that pitch is somewhat zero.

I have my curve at 32, it's a breeze to fly formation and AAR if you compare with lower curves.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

Also if the trim made completely level flight...i think the sim would feel unnatural.

On the actual flying side: I have the pleasure of the warthog stick and it has such accurate control that my adjustment a very minor :).

I have curvature on 25 for x and y axis.

I tried the logitech g940 and found that whatever i flew felt wrong F4/IL2/BS. Hall sensors in a light plastic case was(for me) grounding.

So my conclusion is....you can get trim within IMO a workable limit but it also very much comes down to you joystick.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All through my flying training it was impressed upon me not to fly with the trimmer (except if their was a locked elevator, but thats an emergency) I suppose it was an analogue control though so you could use the tiniest amount to relieve a tiny pressure. I bet the one in the Real A10 is not analogue though - its still a blip switch on the CC isnt it?

Anyway you could AAR successfully even if you are not trimmed. The control column is your primary control, you can hold the aircraft just whereever you want it. Some people even reccomend flying off trim so that you will diverge if you lose concentration. Same with low flying. Sorry I cant help you reprogram the sim but perhaps you just need to setup your joystick curves a bit nicer or buy a slightly better stick.

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

BEsides you can actually move around a fair amount without disconnect. I think of a cubic box about 1.5m sides that you can keep the receptacle in. For real military pilot that is not a big deal.

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m

I have a curvature of about 30ish, for pitch and roll, but almost 40 for rudders to get my gunning accuracy perfect.

Oh man oh man is it that easy! The trim actually just relocate the stick of cours! Thanks!!!

EDIT: No, don't like that, the aircraft feels even more sluggish than ever. Reset.

(HJ)

Edited by HiJack

• 7 years later...

also having this prob in the F14, i see lots vids ( reapers ) where trim stays just about perfect. For the life of me i cant get it level - as someone said the trim seems too corse there must be some way to decrease the amoust applied with a single press :/ UHm.. maybe instead of a 4way hat ill try the rotary - Ill update tomorrow. :P

i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz - Corsair H115i : Coolermaster C700P : Asrock Z370 Extreme4 : EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 ULTRA : 1000W Silverstone PSU : 2 x 24" Full HD Monitors : 32gig HyperX Fury 3200mhz DDR4 : 80+TB Sata3 HDD Space : 960Gb

Corsair MP510 M.2 OS Drive : 1TB Samsung M.2 Game drive : X52pro Joystick : Oculus Rift CV1 : Logitech G25 wheel : ROCCAT Headset : G502 : MS Natural 4000 Keyboard : Windows 10 Pro