K14 sight Fixed and gyro reticle correctly displayed?

flashben

I have spent so many hours in this cockpit and never noticed.. How come noone actually asked himself the same question all these years... Good job! Though maybe in real life when looking with both eyes the projections into in infinity overlap. Theoretically the parallax should become infinitely small, but I always sucked at optics and I honestly don't know.

GGS4EDials.jpg

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

... Though maybe in real life when looking with both eyes the projections into in infinity overlap. Theoretically the parallax should become infinitely small...

This might be actually the answer - supported by the picture from the first post and the arrows with the reticle aligned on the target. As I understand the shape is not so much perceived as an displayed on the surface of the glass but rather it is focused in the infinity.

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

The very first image in this thread tells you how it looks to the pilot, both images are superimposed in the infinity, no matter from where they are projected. Otherwise, they would simply be useless, two sights can't point in different places, how could you aim otherwise?

On thing that matters in this setup is the clipping area. In reality (and in VR) gunsights and HUD's have limited view area, you have to position your head exactly in the right place, even with trackir it is not that apparent. Often you are able to see the gunsight cross only with one eye, that's why the small sights in the Bf-109 and Mig-15 are offset to the right. In the K14 I suppose the pilot would look through the right sight with his right eye and through the left one with his left eye. Shutting down one eye would cause the corresponding sight to disappear.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The very first image in this thread tells you how it looks to the pilot, both images are superimposed in the infinity, no matter from where they are projected. Otherwise, they would simply be useless, two sights can't point in different places, how could you aim otherwise?
Well, true, as long as they are projected in the same plane and into infinity. :smartass:

I wonder though if you could model this correctly in VR or if you get weird eyes doing so. When getting close enough to the gunsight you should see two reticles and being offset to either side should let you only see one or the other. Obviously on a one POV/ one screen projection you need a simplified model to make it look realistic, else it would look as seen (by the single optic camera) in the photo above. Kind of a related real life vs sim problematic as the famous FW 190 bar/ windscreen refraction thing (

), just way more unimportant. :P
Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

I wonder though if you could model this correctly in VR or if you get weird eyes doing so. When getting close enough to the gunsight you should see two reticles and being offset to either side should let you only see one or the other.

You won't see two separate reticles in real life if you get close, you'll just loose sight of one of them.

It's possible to simulate in VR, not sure if DCS engine supports it (technically it would be like having two separate sights).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro