F8F-2 Bearcat Dev Diary

PMAN,

I stand corrected, that is not a Bearcat OR and Avenger, that is a Wildcat. Funny thing though, I have not heard this mentioned anywhere. Those Landing gears are not from the Bearcat that I can find.

Apologises I missed this! Yes it was a wildcat ;)

Hey VEAO, Any news? Hopefully the modeler is doing well now etc.

Work is actually progressing really well on the model now, expect some news towards the end of the year and the sound of engines early(ish) next year

Pman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Bearcat is still in production and the new model is stunning!!

Due to our old artist having to take time out for personal reasons the models have been re-made.

I'm sure Pete will share some images in the future when the time is right.

Thanks,

Chris.

Bearcat is still in production and the new model is stunning!!

Due to our old artist having to take time out for personal reasons the models have been re-made.

I'm sure Pete will share some images in the future when the time is right.

Thanks,

Chris.

What he said, all in good time :)

Pman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just wondering - this bird never saw combat in ww2?

Nope - arrived too late. The first Bearcat squadron was active shortly before the war was over but they didn't see any action. Didn't see combat in Korea either I think (at least with US forces) as the active squadrons sent there had moved on to jets or were using the Corsair for ground support. I think the French used them in the Indochina war though.

so why bother :D its not gonna be a good match up for existing planes in ww2 i think. it sounds like to powerfull, correct me if im wrong.

As for our aircraft I have said this before but once more, we do not pick the aircraft we develop based on their combat performance, we pick them on personal interest along with a host of other issues, combat performance does not really come into it.

Purely for the fun of flying a Bearcat :)

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Bearcat was a monster from what my pops said. He joined the USN as an aviation electrician in 1948 and has seen then whip the pants off of Mustangs. He ended up flying Corsair and Skyraiders after going to OCS, and he said he wished he had been in the right time frame to catch the Bearcat because it looked "fun as hell".

I hope this one makes it, I really do. He was right, it does look fun as hell. I got to stand up on the wing of one at a museum in WA, tiny little shit with a huge engine. Any plane that you have to build in explosive wing tips to blow them off your plane because they were so easy to pull off using the stick must be pure aviation ecstasy.

On a side note I also got to see my favorite prop planes in 2015 at Reno, Rarebear and Strega. They didn't show last year, wonder if they will make it this year?? Seeing Rare Bear was so much more exciting when they first unlimited heats were all Mustangs with a Sea Fury whipping the pants off of them, and then the big three whipping the pants off of a field of Sea Furies lol....Incredible!!!