MiG-29 high Fidelity Flight Model?

mytai01

The 29G has an partially english labeled cockpit ;)

12a184197ce3d327e5c0113d2b3bdbf9.jpg

1261653.jpg?v=v40

But it definitely should have an own cockpit :thumbup:

Don´t forget that after service with the east german airforce, it briefly served with the WEST german airforce, and they updated the avionics to NATO specs...so a old school MiG-29G might not have had a partially english cockpit before the wall fell...but that´s just speculation on my part.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

Don´t forget that after service with the east german airforce, it briefly served with the WEST german airforce, and they updated the avionics to NATO specs...so a old school MiG-29G might not have had a partially english cockpit before the wall fell...but that´s just speculation on my part.

That is my suspicion as well. I was only referring to state the 29G's were in after the reunion of germany as you can see in the discussion on site 2 of the thread:

A mix of English and German is used in the MiG-29G cockpit.

English panel decals, text on warning lamps and text messages on the Aekran, while the voice warning system is in German(don't know if it was changed after Poland bought them).

Additionally some instruments are either swapped out(e.g. pressure altimeter) or re-calibrated for the imperial system. There are also changes to other equipment(e.g. the radio).

I don't know, but it was probably in Russian, but I guess the German voice warnings could be a leftover from the GDR days.

I suspect it was all in russian.

I am sure ED will deliver an accurate depiction of the 29G at one point

Well, I guess the plus side of having been a Soviet republic was being multi-lingual. tongue.gif

I really hope they do accurately depict the cockpit of all the migs (especially the G). thumbup.gif It's really strange to be in the A, G, or S and not seeing any difference except if attempting to use the ECM. tongue.gif

Thanks for the additional information on the voice warning system - i didn't knew that. I thought it was changed from russian to english in the transition process after the german reunion and incorporation of the migs into nato service - like the mentioned radio and iff-interrogator changes - so thanks for the clarification thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

@Kelpie yeah definitely - in the end it would be amazing to fly a DCS-Level polish 29G in Red flag vs the Bug or the Turkey over NTTR

I believe(maybe Pasquale1986 knows more), that in GDR schools, learning Russian was obligatory. Thats why I can imagine that the MiG-29 cockpits weren't re-labelled in German(or English for that matter).

Exactly - and when you consider that the MiG-29 versions in DCS aren't all that different to each other(compared to other/newer versions), it makes having 3 different versions rather pointless if the differences that do exist aren't properly depicted smile.gif

But sadly i don't have any additional information on the cockpit before the nato-integration was conducted. But maybe someone from former East Germany knows something :book:

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

Don´t forget that after service with the east german airforce, it briefly served with the WEST german airforce...

Eh actually it was with the East German airforce(LSK) they only served briefly. IIRC they got the MiG-29s from the Soviet Union around 1988 and thus only had them in service for about a year before the GDR ceased to exist with the re-unification in 1989. The Luftwaffe inherited them in 1990 and had them in service until around 2004.

So that makes 1 year of East German service and 14 years of West German service :)

...and they updated the avionics to NATO specs

Yes but AFAIK the first photo actually shows a later modification(UFC and MFD among other things) performed by Poland(not Germany).

...so a old school MiG-29G might not have had a partially english cockpit before the wall fell...but that´s just speculation on my part.

No one thought otherwise :) . What we are unsure about is whether the voice warning system was modified with German audio before or after Luftwaffe got the aircraft.

JJ

• 2 months later...
What we are unsure about is whether the voice warning system was modified with German audio before or after Luftwaffe got the aircraft.

I do remember watching a documentary on the Luftwaffe MiG-29s a few years after reunification; there it was said that in the early days the new Luftwaffe MiG pilots (coming from West Germany and flying the F-4F before) had to learn some Russian in order to be able to understand the cockpit labels and "Natasha", the aural warning system of the MiG-29 that was using Russian phrasing.

I would also doubt very much that the Russians would have offered their WP satellite states a customized version with respective foreign language, that simply wasn't their mindset; also in the GDR the first foreign language was Russian, so obviously there was no need to program Natasha in German - and probably no time either, as the MiG-29 was only used for two years due to the demise of the GDR in 1990.

Lastly - I'm only speculating here though - the Luftwaffe MiGs probably did not get German aural warnings in their later modification process. English is standard in the German Air Force, so I think having a MiG with German aural warnings in DCS is simply wrong.

That said, an upgrade for the MiG-29"A" would be highly appreciated. A PFM flight model would be nice, a full DCS title even better. Unfortunately, the MiG-29 might be one of those aircrafts were Russian authorities do not give clearance to simulate it on DCS level, even though it is old by today's standards.

Edited by Pilot Ike
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The 29G has an partially english labeled cockpit ;)

12a184197ce3d327e5c0113d2b3bdbf9.jpg

1261653.jpg?v=v40

But it definitely should have an own cockpit :thumbup:

a mig29G with a Multi-function display? Would be nice to get this Polish Upgrade ( if there was enough data on it)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I do remember watching a documentary on the Luftwaffe MiG-29s a few years after reunification; there it was said that in the early days the new Luftwaffe MiG pilots (coming from West Germany and flying the F-4F before) had to learn some Russian in order to be able to understand the cockpit labels and "Natasha", the aural warning system of the MiG-29 that was using Russian phrasing.

Ok thanks that pretty much settles it then :)

I would also doubt very much that the Russians would have offered their WP satellite states a customized version with respective foreign language, that simply wasn't their mindset;

No but no one suggested that the Russians would have supplied language customised cockpits - the LSK could have done that themselves(just as Luftwaffe did later). Anyway, they do now - e.g. the MiG-29K/KUBs supplied to the Indian navy :) .

..also in the GDR the first foreign language was Russian, so obviously there was no need to program Natasha in German - and probably no time either, as the MiG-29 was only used for two years due to the demise of the GDR in 1990.

No I agree.

Lastly - I'm only speculating here though - the Luftwaffe MiGs probably did not get German aural warnings in their later modification process. English is standard in the German Air Force, so I think having a MiG with German aural warnings in DCS is simply wrong.

It is not and there is no reason to speculate :) . If you read the Luftwaffe manual for the MiG-29G/MiG-29GT, you can see that warning system has English on warning lamps and the Ekran, but is accompanied by voice warnings in German. I have attached an example from the manual concerning warning for engine over-speed.

That said, an upgrade for the MiG-29"A" would be highly appreciated. A PFM flight model would be nice, a full DCS title even better.

Indeed.

Unfortunately, the MiG-29 might be one of those aircrafts were Russian authorities do not give clearance to simulate it on DCS level, even though it is old by today's standards.

I doubt it.

JJ