Early test of AV-8B Night Attack for DCS.

Zeus67

Hi again,

Reading about ARBS and DMT, it seems the system was already fielded with the A-4M in the eighties, and it uses a pretty much standard, analoge NTSC camera:

http://mil-spec.tpub.com/MIL-A/MIL-A-85055/

Wouldn't be cool to have some "shader" applied on top of the image that mimic the quirks of analog cameras? :)

Regards

Yeah, similar to the view through the EP-13 sights on the viggen, it has a really cool distorted effect from the camera.

48011d52f619bb31c873d89200e262bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hello folks. It's been a long time since I posted anything. This one is just out. Please be kind. I've been read the riot act for not learning how do a proper attack profile.

This is a flight test of the ARBS - LST mode.

LST stands for Laser Spot Tracking.

The ARBS DMT sensor detects a laser spot and locks and tracks it.

You can use guided and unguided weapons with the spot.

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 4 weeks later...
Cheeky FLIR tease, I approve. This aircraft certain will be very interesting to use, I anticipate a healthy rivalry between A-10C and AV-8B(NA) pilots.
COOL!!!!!

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello folks. It's been a long time since I posted anything. This one is just out. Please be kind. I've been read the riot act for not learning how do a proper attack profile.

This is a flight test of the ARBS - LST mode.

LST stands for Laser Spot Tracking.

The ARBS DMT sensor detects a laser spot and locks and tracks it.

You can use guided and unguided weapons with the spot.

*Sigh* I'm a bit sad to see AUTO mode hasn't changed from last video.

In fact, your attack profile is so forced, because in your interpretation of CCRP, you always need to have LoS with the target, in order to put your ASL over the TD.

But in reality, AUTO mode was designed to be used at wing level, high altitude deliveries where the target is out of sight, as easy for the pilot as just following ASL cue to reach the release point.

And also, release cue can only move along the ASL. At some point of the video, ASL and release cue didn't go together anymore.

Regards!

Edited by amalahama

In fact, your attack profile is so forced..

I am glad I'm not the only one noticing that. Every time I see them demoing a ground attack, I'm biting my tongue to not scream at the monitor for them to set up their runs better and from farther away.

This thing needs to hit early access soon, so people with a bit more knowledge of the tactics can start testing it in a proper attack profile, before any functionality gets truly finalized.

*Sigh* I'm a bit sad to see AUTO mode hasn't changed from last video.

I am glad I'm not the only one noticing that.

Well, I'm sure they have already changed it since this video is a month old (21 august), and is the same one you discussed, just in the other thread. Its understandable the mistake, you may have not entered this thread since some time ago, and the recent bump by ZQuickSilverZ might have made you think this was a new video.

Hopefully there's not that much time left 'til we can test the CCRP by ourselves...:smilewink:

Edited by BlowTorch

Well, I'm sure they have already changed it since this video is a month old (21 august), and is the same one you discussed, just in the other thread. Its understandable the mistake, you may have not entered this thread since some time ago, and the recent bump by ZQuickSilverZ might have made you think this was a new video.

Hopefully there's not that much time left 'til we can test the CCRP by ourselves...:smilewink:

Oops you're right!!! I miss the post date. Well, consider it a kind reminder :)

Regards

• 2 months later...

Nozzle glow test.

The nozzle glow depends on engine jet pipe temperature (JPT) and environmental factors.

This is an early test, the final version will be slightly different.

• Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Nice! Thanks for posting that, Zeus.

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Nozzle glow test.

The nozzle glow depends on engine jet pipe temperature (JPT) and environmental factors.

This is an early test, the final version will be slightly different.

@Zeus67 I know you say that the final version will be slightly different, but I think that it needs to be toned down rather a lot for the daytime flights. It's really only at night that this effect becomes so visible.

02:20 in the hover from a GR9

06:50 from a Spanish AV-8B

Most of the video from an AV-8B II demonstrating the hover.

Not such a great video but close up of AV-8B vertical takeoff

@Zeus67 I know you say that the final version will be slightly different, but I think that it needs to be toned down rather a lot for the daytime flights. It's really only at night that this effect becomes so visible.

02:20 in the hover from a GR9

06:50 from a Spanish AV-8B

Most of the video from an AV-8B II demonstrating the hover.

Not such a great video but close up of AV-8B vertical takeoff

I suggest you look at this video...

more Nozzle glow @2:15. also a cool channel for harrier vids.

It does appear to be quite visible, it just needs to be tweaked for daytime.

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I suggest you look at this video...

It does appear to be quite visible, it just needs to be tweaked for daytime.

@Krupi Yes that video highlights exactly what I said.

needs to be toned down rather a lot for the daytime flights. It's really only at night that this effect becomes so visible.

[rant mode]

For crying out loud... Which part of "This is an early test, the final version will be slightly different." don't you understand? Wait for the final effect before filling the thread with nonexistent bug reports.

[/rant mode]

Really?? I understand all of the post Zeus made but isn't the whole point of this forum for constructive criticism? What's the point of waiting until the final effect if there is a possibility to make a change now, perhaps the programmers believe that the heat glow is visible during the day whereas it is not, certainly at least with my eyes? The effect needs to be dramatically different during the day to be realistic, not slightly, isn't that what we all want, the most realistic simulation of the Harrier.

• ED Team

Hi War

the point is the W.I.P Image shared by Zues was just a proof of concept, a test, the team is well aware that it needs to be adjusted. Lets see what they come up with during the early access, I am sure many things will be tweaked during this process.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi War

the point is the W.I.P Image shared by Zues was just a proof of concept, a test, the team is well aware that it needs to be adjusted. Lets see what they come up with during the early access, I am sure many things will be tweaked during this process.

Thanks BIGNEWY for the more polite response. I'm totally aware that this is early days, just wanting to make sure that there wasn't the belief that this glow is also visible during the day. I'll await and see

Zeus himself already said that it needs to be adjusted.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Just so nobody busts an artery due to high blood pressure over the nozzle glow, a time-of-day factor has been included to keep it real. The effect will be updated for other parameters as well.

Thx Zeus

Most of us appreciate the updates...and understand it's a wip

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift