"sound-radar"...official opinion on it?

"sound-radar"...official opinion on it?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. "sound-radar"...official opinion on it?

• i like it, please keep it
    • i dont like it, dont think its realistic, please get rid of it

hey guys. i know its been brought up quite a few times already, but never with an official statement on the matter.

i know from real life flying, that i cant hear another airplane taking off right next to me, when my engine is pretty much at idle.at least i cant remember that i've ever heard another aircraft as soon as my engine is running.

yet in dcs i can hear other aircraft often a couple of hundreds meters behind me, while i have the engine running at full revolutions.

i dont want to stir anything up here, but i would love to hear the opinion on that matter from some ED official, whether they think everything is ok as it currently is, or whether there will be some tuning in future.

thx in advance!:thumbup:

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont want to stir anything up here, but i would love to hear the opinion on that matter from some ED official, whether they think everything is ok as it currently is, or whether there will be some tuning in future.

Yes please. :yes:

• Like 1

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Agreed, would like to hear EDs and the communities thoughts.

• Like 1

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

+1

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I think that hearing any other airplane outside, is nearly impossible, especially with cannopy closed. The way that sound in DCS works makes suprise attacks hard, because mostly the enemy knows you are there, before you can actually start shooting.

At the same time, I would like the in cockpit sounds of guns and airframe (buffeting, hit sounds etc.)more pronounced. IRL the pilot has vibrations and feels impacts/shots. In game sound helps to mitigate that lack of feedback.

In conclusion, I would like to see the sound design reworked, so that we have more vivid sounds of our own airplane, while sounds outside the cockpit are nearly impossible to hear.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I actually think it's pretty good and useful. Not everyone has a computer that will run DCS with mirrors on, so sound levels out the disadvantage of not having mirrors in some situations.

Spotting has also always been kind of a problem and sound can help you notice what is going on around you. Is it realistic? I dunno. But it is an important part of the SA.

I actually think it's pretty good and useful. Not everyone has a computer that will run DCS with mirrors on, so sound levels out the disadvantage of not having mirrors in some situations.

Spotting has also always been kind of a problem and sound can help you notice what is going on around you. Is it realistic? I dunno. But it is an important part of the SA.

:D

• Like 2

yeah you know whats also good for sa? bright labels and healthbars floating over everyone's head

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to hear the developer's thoughts on this. Whenever someone is sneaking up on my 6, I hear them before I see them. This really does change the nature of dogfighting. It also negates the usefulness of the P-51's rear radar, which should be one of its few advantages over the 109.

This "sound-radar" has plagued combat flight-sim games since the very beginning. I've yet to try an aerial combat simulator which doesn't suffer from this physics error. I wrote the following a couple of weeks ago, in another thread on the subject:

No, it isn't realistic. It's been acknowledged to be wrong by Yo-Yo, years ago. I have enormous respect for Yo-Yo & his amazing work, but I am perplexed as to why this issue doesn't seem to be a concern. It's the largest flaw in the simulator's realism, as it completely changes the nature of the historical "hunt." Real-world aces generally favored sneaking up on the enemy and firing at close range, with the element of surprise; that simply isn't possible in DCS (and other sim/games), because of the "sonar problem."

Here is a link to the thread where Yo-Yo discusses the matter. This is the closest thing to an official stance so far, to the best of my knowledge: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94347

As far as I'm concerned, the discussion never truly concluded. My counter-point went unaddressed. There appears to be a relatively simple solution that could solve the matter, resulting in maximum realism with minimal development effort

Edited by Echo38

IMHO they should make the cockpit its own environment and outside sounds can stay as they are, but the cockpit would block the outside sounds. Only weapons, engine and hit sounds should be heard.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

if you look at the soundfiles, thats already that way...there are seperate files for cockpit sounds and seperate for outside sounds...and in fact its really easy to block the sound radar with adjusting a single lua file...a matter of a few seconds. thats what we did with our modpack on our server back then...

EDIT: ah thx, Echo for the link...that surprises me quite a bit....so they do acknowledge that its wrong. why they didn't fix it yet though is a mystery to me...

following your link a little further,....i notice they seem not to change it, as they think people would not like it?maybe a poll would help here?

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

I ran a poll a few months back and most people voted Yes on the status quo... Utterly ridiculous

On no my bad we won in the end :D

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=150601

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

really? well lets see how this poll turns out then...but i really cant believe that people would want the sound radar for the ww2 birds...it might not play a big role on modern modules, but when its about ww2 combat, it completely destroys a big part of realistic tactics used.

EDIT: you are completely right about the ingame audio sliders...as much as i appreciate options, these dont make much sense imo, as the sound engineers should just create realistic sounds, and give us 1slider for volume...not x different ones, where we could theoretically turn down cockpitsounds completely and turn the one for the outside sounds completely up...never tried it, but im sure that way the sound-radar would be even more obvious than it already is...you might hear them taking off from their airfield when you just spawned on yours :)

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

[x] i dont like it, dont think its realistic, please get rid of it

Sound radar - being able to hear aircraft approach over the sound of my own engine is utterly unrealistic imo in DCS and has a major negative impact on air to air combat. Makes surprise attacks all but impossible with no effort if opponents' have their sound on. I don’t buy this as a “feature” for those who say they can’t check their six properly, while I have sympathy this is a sim.

Edited by Bounder
  • Like 1

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder