Mi-8/17 Books

Folks,

I could not find a thread dedicated to literature and media about this wonderful bird. Is there one I missed?

If not, maybe this will serve.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be much in English, and nothing at all in the way of operational/combat/"in the seat" type stories ... :(

Here is a list that I have:

Anyone have anything else to contribute?

You may be aware but here is an excellent 2 part video documentary on the Mi8. I'll post the link later tonite when I get home. PM me if I forget.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

You may be aware but here is an excellent 2 part video documentary on the Mi8. I'll post the link later tonite when I get home. PM me if I forget.

Ah yes, I think you mean this:

I've watched it, and it is pretty good, though I would not argue with anyone who would call it as much as sales video as a documentary! There is good information there, but it is really heavy on the spin which sometimes comes off over the top. Either way, though, worth atching, especially, the second video, with lots of footage of operations in the sandbox. Thanks for pointing it out!

I dont remember where I downloaded this, but it can be of interests to Mi-8 users:

TM 1-1520-Mi-17-10 Pilot's Manual:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26gt9mffHZphOuHyg2Og

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I dont remember where I downloaded this, but it can be of interests to Mi-8 users:

Thanks! This is really nice and useful and interesting! I was looking for something more along the lines of one of the Osprey books with, e.g., personal or first-hand accounts of operations. Maybe even an entire biography like Chickenhawk or Blades of Thunder. But this manual is still very welcome!

Mil Mi-8 and Mi-17 Rotary Wing Workhorse and War Horse - Red Star Vol. 14

This is a good book, there is no extreme detail of how the chopper flies or handles but is very detailed in its development. A nice section that suggests how to fly in extreme hot and high conditions in the deployment section but alas too little.

Very detailed on the development of the hip which is nice.

The MI-24 book by the same publisher is very interesting, shocking how the hot and high conditions in Afghanistan effected this machines war load.

Very detailed on the development of the Hind and how the wings ended up in the configuration it is and why!

both these books and the current status of the Normandy map has convinced me that we must move to Afghanistan after the straights of Homuz.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Nice! this even includes the Garmin. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Ah yes, I think you mean this:

I've watched it, and it is pretty good, though I would not argue with anyone who would call it as much as sales video as a documentary! There is good information there, but it is really heavy on the spin which sometimes comes off over the top. Either way, though, worth atching, especially, the second video, with lots of footage of operations in the sandbox. Thanks for pointing it out!

That's it.

Concur.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Mil Mi-8 and Mi-17 Rotary Wing Workhorse and War Horse - Red Star Vol. 14

This is a good book, there is no extreme detail of how the chopper flies or handles but is very detailed in its development. A nice section that suggests how to fly in extreme hot and high conditions in the deployment section but alas too little.

Very detailed on the development of the hip which is nice.

The MI-24 book by the same publisher is very interesting, shocking how the hot and high conditions in Afghanistan effected this machines war load.

Very detailed on the development of the Hind and how the wings ended up in the configuration it is and why!

both these books and the current status of the Normandy map has convinced me that we must move to Afghanistan after the straights of Homuz.

Thanks. Does the book have any first-hand accounts of Afghanistan operations? Is there anything cited in the bibliography about same?

Yes, but again sparse on information and quoted via the author.

Perfect for development and models.

Both books on the MI-8 and MI-24 are a good read and do go through operational details but alas lack critical detailed information.

It is hard to find Russian accounts of these old war horses in combat and in English.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 2 weeks later...

I should note that these books coming out of Russia "appear" to be very good regarding the development of these choppers.

A Few books have bad footnotes for each image, but only a few.

If you want to read a new perspective of the KA-50's development and why a single pilot was truly chosen as the only option available to Kamov then these Eastern releases allow a better analysis of the political, financial and individual connections that the MIL industrial complex had to the Russian military. The Kamov machine was a knife fight from the get go and it fought for survival!

These books breath fresh air and shine a light into a black hole that was hidden behind the iron curtain, what we truly see is an extreme version of what the west has.... a tale of human beings with power and full of greed and need!

The Kamov Volumes (KA-27 to 32 and Ka50 - KA-52) are very nice as is the MIL's heavyweights and Russian gunship helicopters!

Finally the curtain starts to drop and the human spirit can be admired!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

I should note that these books coming out of Russia "appear" to be very good regarding the development of these choppers.

A Few books have bad footnotes for each image, but only a few.

If you want to read a new perspective of the KA-50's development and why a single pilot was truly chosen as the only option available to Kamov then these Eastern releases allow a better analysis of the political, financial and individual connections that the MIL industrial complex had to the Russian military. The Kamov machine was a knife fight from the get go and it fought for survival!

These books breath fresh air and shine a light into a black hole that was hidden behind the iron curtain, what we truly see is an extreme version of what the west has.... a tale of human beings with power and full of greed and need!

The Kamov Volumes (KA-27 to 32 and Ka50 - KA-52) are very nice as is the MIL's heavyweights and Russian gunship helicopters!

Finally the curtain starts to drop and the human spirit can be admired!

I've ordered the Red Star Mi-8 Workshorse book.

Do you have links to any of these other books you mention specifically?

Kamov 27/32 family ISBN 1-85780-237-3

Mils heavy lift helicopters MI-6/MI-10/V-12/MI-26 ISBN 1-857080-206-3

Russian Gunship helicopters ISBN 178159282-9

KA-50 & KA52 werewolf, Black shark, Erdogan, Alligator and the others ISBN 978-83-64596-86-5 ....... sweeeet.

There is one more buried below my too read pile on the KA-50 and 52, I fear it is a long way down in the pile, it is a big pile of books, A high pile and it is far far down at the bottom.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

The MI-24 Hind attack Helicopter ISBN 1-84037-239-9

A very good read and the Afghan war just sounds about right for DCS.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

Kamov 27/32 family ISBN 1-85780-237-3

Mils heavy lift helicopters MI-6/MI-10/V-12/MI-26 ISBN 1-857080-206-3

Russian Gunship helicopters ISBN 178159282-9

KA-50 & KA52 werewolf, Black shark, Erdogan, Alligator and the others ISBN 978-83-64596-86-5 ....... sweeeet.

There is one more buried below my too read pile on the KA-50 and 52, I fear it is a long way down in the pile, it is a big pile of books, A high pile and it is far far down at the bottom.

The MI-24 Hind attack Helicopter ISBN 1-84037-239-9

A very good read and the Afghan war just sounds about right for DCS.

Excellent! Thanks!

All going onto my list too!

Would you happen to have a table of contents for "KA-50 & KA52 werewolf, Black shark, Erdogan, Alligator"? I cannot seem to find a preview on line anywhere.

No official table of contents in the book it just gets going as soon as the 1st page is turned.... must be an eastern thing!

We go straight into the Kamov history on the 3rd page, KA-8 and KA-15.

By about page 7 we are starting with the development of the KA-50.

The journey is painful for our beloved KA-50.

the KA-50 development is interesting is it not?