Worth it?

directorguy7

Hey quick question. So I have a few DCS modules and love them. A-10C obviously is the best so far. Sounds like the F-18 is going to be another high detail sim like the A-10C.

Is it worth to buy this yet, as ED still says its early access on the store? Are there a ton of systems disabled etc for now? or is it mostly complete and a full on DCS sim?

Yes and only getting better

Nice. Does it have full startup procedure, as that is one of my favorite most relaxing things to do with the A-10C

Kinda crazy DCS has this level of detail about a much more modern military jet. Didn't think that was possible, kinda leaves no excuse but to make a A-10C level sim for the F-16 now.

Full startup. But the F/A-18C is designed to be easy to start and fly. I feel like the A-10C startup is a bit more involved than the Hornet.

Buy the Hornet. The Hawg was the flagship module of DCS for a long time, but that torch is passing to the Hornet.

F-16 confirmed for 2019. Watch this video and pay particular attention to the last 20 seconds:

And check this out from the comments section...

g2st5is67c521.png

Viper's coming, man :D

Yes. If you like A-10 you will love F-18.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Is it worth to buy this yet, as ED still says its early access on the store? Are there a ton of systems disabled etc for now? or is it mostly complete and a full on DCS sim?

Yes, it is absolutely worth it!

The cold startup is already possible, as well as cat shots from the USS John Stennis and landings on that same boat. :thumbup:

It's worth noting that the Hornet module is not finished yet. Some of the items still missing: Air-to-Ground radar, Targeting Pod (that means no self lasing for LGBs yet), INS alignment.

Even so, you can have lots of fun, and my impression is that it's worth learning all that's already included. If you follow the Hornet Mini Updates, they always feature a heads-up of the systems that'll be integrated next.

Of course, there's always tons of stuff to learn about the A-10C, too... :music_whistling: :smartass:

Full startup. But the F/A-18C is designed to be easy to start and fly. I feel like the A-10C startup is a bit more involved than the Hornet.

Buy the Hornet. The Hawg was the flagship module of DCS for a long time, but that torch is passing to the Hornet.

F-16 confirmed for 2019. Watch this video and pay particular attention to the last 20 seconds:

And check this out from the comments section...

g2st5is67c521.png

Viper's coming, man :D

Thats Awesome! Do you think the f-16 will be a FC add on plane, or a full sim like the 18 and 10?

Thats Awesome! Do you think the f-16 will be a FC add on plane, or a full sim like the 18 and 10?

The F-16 will be full-fidelity. ED said some time back that there will be no more new aircraft developed for FC. Some full-fidelity aircraft will be brought down as a separate module for MAC, but any new aircraft from the F-18 (maybe even before the F-18) onward will always be full-fidelity.

If I can find the thread where they say this, I will link it.

Definitely worth it and I personally think it is a bargain.

Start up and shut down is fun in the Hornet then add in carrier ops. Hours of learning and enjoyment. The Hornet is in a pretty good place at the moment in terms of development and a lot more features are in the pipeline.

There's a lot of depth to the Sim but ironically it's really easy to fly. It's fun from the first minute. That said, proficiency takes time. I think the hornet is worth the time, partially because it is multi role. Effective today you can put together a decent strike package with just hornets. Should be able to entertain yourself with this thing for a good long time. Don't let the WIP status bug you, it fundamentally works

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

It's ok as of right now. I enjoy flying it and there are hours of enjoyment figuring out carrier ops, and basic weapons delivery. But the lack of ATFLIR, TWS, and fully fleshed out HARM are the main things holding it back at this point. Depending on how you view fully being able to conduct precision strikes on your own (or just with Hornets) will help guide whether or not to hold off on purchasing the module. If you have SP missions with JTAC or UAV, you can alleviate that issue via scripting or if you play MP, you'll still need someone in a Hog or Harrier to buddy lase.

Cheers,

Thump

I normally don't buy modules in early access but I had to make an exception with the hornet. :) If you've never flown it before, There's plenty to learn while waiting for the rest of the systems to come on line. ED has done an amazing job so far with it.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer: