Useful peripherals that can be used on multiple modules?

Pen and paper. Not kidding. lol

I use a tablet with maps and PDFs on, but nothing really "general purpose" yet. I was planning on 3D printing and making a custom button box for gear lever and master arm with maybe a few other buttons; but I haven't finalised what I want on it.

The most useful thing I use is actually 3 virpil desk mounts bolted together with 8mm threaded bar. Joystick and throttle are mounted centre and left, and I have an extra warthog mounting plate on the right that I use as a mouse pad. Finally I 3D printed some brackets that allow me to mount my thrustmaster MFDs to the threaded bar (one above each leg). All 4 devices are then plugged into one USB3 hub and the cables tidied up.

The reason for all this is that I can mount my entire "sim station" onto my desk edge in about 30 seconds and be ready to go. Just lift on, tighten 3 clamps and plug into a USB3 port on top of my tower. I also have a wireless track clip that attaches with velcro so I don't have to mess with wires or plugging it in.

Pen and paper. Not kidding. lol

I use a tablet with maps and PDFs on, but nothing really "general purpose" yet. I was planning on 3D printing and making a custom button box for gear lever and master arm with maybe a few other buttons; but I haven't finalised what I want on it.

The most useful thing I use is actually 3 virpil desk mounts bolted together with 8mm threaded bar. Joystick and throttle are mounted centre and left, and I have an extra warthog mounting plate on the right that I use as a mouse pad. Finally I 3D printed some brackets that allow me to mount my thrustmaster MFDs to the threaded bar (one above each leg). All 4 devices are then plugged into one USB3 hub and the cables tidied up.

The reason for all this is that I can mount my entire "sim station" onto my desk edge in about 30 seconds and be ready to go. Just lift on, tighten 3 clamps and plug into a USB3 port on top of my tower. I also have a wireless track clip that attaches with velcro so I don't have to mess with wires or plugging it in.

Sorry a bit OT but would you mind posting a pic of this setup.

Sorry a bit OT but would you mind posting a pic of this setup.

HlS6PLY.jpg

bvu4VtA.jpg

Some older pics both with and without it mounted to show the difference. The Track IR mount broke and I designed and printed a new one that fits the profile of my monitor. The headphones also broke last night just as I was about to fly. Not shown is the bluetooth keyboard I use instead of the normal one.

iUtjWzn.jpg

N1V3inK.jpg

I use several of Derek Speare's button boxes and they couldn't be easier to use in DCS. In the picture below (not sure why it's rotated 180 degrees but I can't figure out how to fix it, sorry) you can see five of them; from left to right they're the ones with red buttons: TrackZilla, FLT-1, then three P2s. I then make my own overlays specific to each aircraft to keep the button assignments clear.

1295917239_IMG_5109(1).thumb.JPG.07e547d33097690f7f3d79ed26e72f44.JPG

Edited by GregP

I use the DSD Flight 2 box from Derek Speare for all modules to get some extra buttons, switches and two rotary encoders. Very satisfied.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5