Kuwait/Iraq/Iran Map... Most logical next map. - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #31
Baco

Now that is acriticism I can take. yes I agree that I have no idea where teh military bases are, my proposal was merely geogrphical. And well OK then Not posible. Bases too far away. Lest keep flying the caucasus as vietnam LOL...
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:48 AM   #32
lazduc

In this simulator/game, there seems to be an obsession with almost perfect reality. The

aircraft/maps must be an exact representation of the actual object. The song is, a price is

paid for this perfection and nothing less is acceptable. ( Which becomes very subjective

contrasted to the printed information from numerous sources.) Endless mind-numbing

useless dialog and arguments are posted. I think to narcotized the virus home-bound,

entertainment challenged, aeronautical gifted into aircraft geographical nirvana.

IMHO Laz
lazduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:09 AM   #33
Baco

Its True..
There is a saying in my country that goes like this:

Something "Perfect" is enemy of something "Good".

Meaning that trying to achieve perfectión, you dont even reach a good enough level, because you squander your resources and never get anything done...
Old 07-31-2020, 06:42 AM   #34
Mr_Burns

True dat..I fly hundreds of missions against narcotics in the mountains, the LGB vs Party in Clear and Present Danger but in the Caucuses, no problems here and agree with the sand map, enough already!

With the Falkland Islands and the new Pacific Islands there will be some nice sea maps.

Perhaps an alternative would be to use the WW2 map and create modern airfields and cities or update the Caucuses.

And my final word on this today, I truly think before any new maps are created, unless third party, they need to be more interactive.

By this I mean, proper destructible buildings with people interacting with buildings (ie. Civilians and Soldiers can enter and try and hide, better damage systems, potentially the ability to replace a mapped building with a mission building so there are not thousands of interactive buildings per map) and importantly, sea environment including Subs.
Mr_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:15 AM   #35
Pikey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco View Post
Now that is acriticism I can take. yes I agree that I have no idea where teh military bases are, my proposal was merely geogrphical. And well OK then Not posible. Bases too far away. Lest keep flying the caucasus as vietnam LOL...
This thread is built on the wrong premise. Let me fix it.
First your map is 400km, it should be 450nm, over twice as large, so you could have US airbases and Iranian ones, probably Bagdad, the "secret" nuclear research and manufacturing at Natanz, Bandar Bushehr in the bottom right. Plus the area in the south of Iraq is less interesting than the surface of the planet Mars (and probably less hospitable) Half the map is unoccuppied, but the dense stuff is the Euphrates valley from the sea to Bagdad.

This nets you:
Iran: Dezful Airbase just a pixel off your original square in the top right corner - major contributor in Iran-Iraq war, Kermanshah, kindda level with Bagdad. I know less about this one.
Saudi Arabia: RAS Mishab, Al Qaisumah, King Khalid MC and enough flat areas for FARPs and ofc the "floating airbases".

The reason not to include this region is because too many players cannot AAR, according to that thread where they need it automatically done for them. Plus, the distances for combat missions were huge. Tankers forward deployed into Iraq and Fighters and bombers came from much further afield (other side of Saudi, Dubai, Qatar etc).

War just isnt exciting enough for GW1, people dont want 4hr flights, they want arcade DCS for 30mins max. Even the serious guys can handle 2hrs max before their wife nags them or their bladder needs emptied! This is the trouble, people ask for things but they dont understand. It's not what they want. Thats why people keep asking for Afghanistan map, which is so boring. PG was a great hotspot, well picked. Not sure Korea is a good idea. Europe is "object impossible". I think Boznia might be a good future pick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desertStorm.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	243821  

Last edited by Pikey; 07-31-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #36
shu77

If it could be integrated into the current map I would disagree, Id rather see it than the missing items mentioned recently from tjhat map but until then Id rather see something new.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog, Mustang, Sabre, CA, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, AH-6J, MB-339, A-4-EC, Edge 540, AlphaJet
Metabox, i7-9750H, NVIDIA 1660Ti, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, Handbrake collective, Track IR4, Cougar MFDs, 1440p, vx3276-2k
PG Airfields FENCE Checks & Threat Summaries
shu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:25 PM   #37
TheGuardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post

War just isnt exciting enough for GW1, people dont want 4hr flights, they want arcade DCS for 30mins max. Even the serious guys can handle 2hrs max before their wife nags them or their bladder needs emptied! This is the trouble, people ask for things but they dont understand. It's not what they want. Thats why people keep asking for Afghanistan map, which is so boring. PG was a great hotspot, well picked. Not sure Korea is a good idea. Europe is "object impossible". I think Boznia might be a good future pick.
Couldn't agree more. Afghanistan is going to be hella boring as far as flying goes. Syria looks like it is going to be well done, kinda concerned about how well it will run with a full on mission/multiplayer. I would think and older Korea (1950) might be doable though. Boznia would be a good pick.
TheGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #38
Baco

Quote:
This thread is built on the wrong premise. Let me fix it.
First your map is 400km, it should be 450nm, over twice as large, so you could have US airbases and Iranian ones, probably Bagdad, the "secret" nuclear research and manufacturing at Natanz, Bandar Bushehr in the bottom right. Plus the area in the south of Iraq is less interesting than the surface of the planet Mars (and probably less hospitable) Half the map is unoccuppied, but the dense stuff is the Euphrates valley from the sea to Bagdad.

This nets you:
Iran: Dezful Airbase just a pixel off your original square in the top right corner - major contributor in Iran-Iraq war, Kermanshah, kindda level with Bagdad. I know less about this one.
Saudi Arabia: RAS Mishab, Al Qaisumah, King Khalid MC and enough flat areas for FARPs and ofc the "floating airbases".

The reason not to include this region is because too many players cannot AAR, according to that thread where they need it automatically done for them. Plus, the distances for combat missions were huge. Tankers forward deployed into Iraq and Fighters and bombers came from much further afield (other side of Saudi, Dubai, Qatar etc).

I must agree with this Analisys...

But then again Vietnam also had long flight time to the Theater of Operations if you fly Airforce... But yeah I get the point.

Well I will settle for ANY new map, I just thougth this might be easier and faster to build tnan let ssay Nam, or Korea...

By the way I dont thinth that even in teh 50s the full theater of Korea could be rendered in one single map.. but maybe we coukld have four maps or three.. north center south.. who kows.. but it looks like at the moment no one is interested in making it....
Old 08-01-2020, 11:04 PM   #39
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco View Post
Most logical next map would be this area...

Would alowd a compleate simulation of desert Shield, Desert Storm,
+ a lot of the main battles of the Irak Iran War

And part of the Invasion of Irak and even what if counter ISIS operations, even thow the areas depicted were not afected that much.
Think how does that match to this:

Old 08-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #40
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Even the serious guys can handle 2hrs max before their wife nags them or their bladder needs emptied!
1) You send spouse to do something else, be it gardening, night with her friends, buy her a full weekend in some spa place etc.

2) You use bags to empty your bladder when you are flying... What? Are you saying that you don't want realism?

Quote:
Europe is "object impossible". I think Boznia might be a good future pick.
I don't think it is "impossible", as we have already the Channel and Normandy.

Possibly someone could make the Fulda Cap or some other location just somewhere in the Germany etc. Make it to even be somewhere in 70's time and it would be great even if as "just 450 x 450 km" for higher details and higher resolution terrain (all the small hills, rock faces etc).

Last edited by Fri13; 08-01-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Fri13 is online now   Reply With Quote