move map to different harddrive - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 01:10 AM   #1
kswichael

Default move map to different harddrive

I am running out of room on the ssd and was wondering if there was a way to move the Persian Gulf map to another mechanical harddrive that I have with more room. Is there a config file to edit to tell DCS where the Persian Gulf map has been moved to. Or, until I get a new SSD with more room, can I uninstall/trash can the Persian Gulf map through the Module Manager without losing my license and still be able to re-download and install it at a later date. Thanks for the help.
kswichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #2
speed-of-heat

You can uninstall from the UI without penalty AFAIK.

There is no way to configure DCS or use different drives for maps.

You could use a hard link in the file system to “move” the directory where the PG map is contained... but... you would notice a considerable increase in load times:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...s-windows.html

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW 11Gb, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView, CombatFlite

VR Stuff: My 2.5.5 DCS VR Settings, My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & Stable
speed-of-heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
kswichael

Thanks so much Speed for the info. Looks like I'll be saving up for a larger SSD.
kswichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
speed-of-heat

glad it helped.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW 11Gb, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView, CombatFlite

VR Stuff: My 2.5.5 DCS VR Settings, My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & Stable
speed-of-heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
Shadoware

I dont know why I couldn't use hard links with maps folder anymore. I had to use a hardlink to the whole Terrain folder!
Shadoware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Azorath

as mentioned above but tldr version; be aware though it will take ages to load

mklink /J "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\terrains\Nevada" "D:\DCS YER YOK\Mods\terrains\Nevada"

mklink /J "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf" "D:\DCS YER YOK\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf"
Azorath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
Jim_B

Another possible solution is to purchase a new Hard Drive, install it, and then re-install DCS on that, including all your maps. My current installation of DCS is about 165 GBs and I only have a few other things on that HD (2 TBs), so I have a lot of room for expansion. It's my second HD (of three) installed in my 'puter.
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote