Help me make a decision: F18

Shibbyland

I bought the F-18 just a little while ago. I wish I had waited longer. I thought it was farther along than it is. I have no plans on buying the F-14.

If I had a choice i'd pick a better F-15. I'm not much of an A/G fan. I like to fight A/A one on one face to face.

edit.........I should add that the F-18 is growing on me and i'm not sorry I bought it. It might end up being the only plane I fly.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

I already own F/A-18C but I will most likely buy the Tomcat because, well, I'm a Tomcat guy at heart. I've flown it since it was in Microprose Fleet Defender, Jane'S USNF 97, Jane's F/A-18 as the Team Superhornet add-on, and most recently and extensively, in FSX with Aerosoft's F-14, the Virtual LSO program, Javier's carriers, and of course VRS' TacPack. I love how ultra-realistic sims have become for the Tomcat since that first one years ago, such that when the DCS version comes out, I beleive I should b ready to just jump in and start flying around like I did going from Jane's F/A-18 and VRS' Superbug on FSX.

But what I am really interested in is if they could somehow make the RIO cockpit shareable in MP, so that one person can fly and the other can be the RIO. Aerosoft already has a shareable cockpit like this for the P3D version of their Tomcat, I wish someone would make one for the DCS version or even the FSX version. I think that would go a longer way than an AI RIO, especially in the ground pounding role.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

But what I am really interested in is if they could somehow make the RIO cockpit shareable in MP, so that one person can fly and the other can be the RIO. Aerosoft already has a shareable cockpit like this for the P3D version of their Tomcat, I wish someone would make one for the DCS version or even the FSX version. I think that would go a longer way than an AI RIO, especially in the ground pounding role.

v6,

boNes

That's exactly what they've done - you can see it in this video where they're recording lines for the AI. The voice for Jester is sat in the rear seat in multiplayer working the radar, TCS and firing missiles. Your wish will come true as soon as it's released.

DCS F18 is the most realistic jet in every aspect of flight sims. Very detailed model, paint, most authentic flight model and sounds. True, I was hoping it would be a little further along, but it is still truly outstanding over any jet I've seen.

I quit flying for over 5 year, but this jet brought me back to it; and I never really flew DCS much. I was a BMS flyer for years.

I'm not an F14 fan, but may get it when it releases; time will tell.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Eventually youl probably get both.

But id recoomend the Hornet. Its a Versatile modern Multirole Machine, that is basically the Navy's workhorse equivalent of the F16 Viper in terms of the Mission profiles it performs. Its still a great A2A dogfighter , even to a greater extent it got the Aim9x. Itl be even more epic in that regard when ED releases JHMCS. ( take a look at wags WIP Screens IN Hornet Mini update thread)

Especially as it progresses out of EA, the Hornet will have a bunch of other cool guided weaponry, sensors and targeting equipment.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD