Stuttering problems - my fix

Hi all.

For those suffering the annoying intermittent stuttering issue that seems unrelated to … well nothing. I appear to have fixed mine.

Short version. a process called "dashost" was hogging my network adaptor to the point it was causing GPU performance loss. It appears I can temp suspended to play DCS and a reboot bring it back. Ideal ? I don't mind. DCS is awesome once again with 4k tracker or rift.

How did I find this ?

I opened task manager and went to the performance tab. Everytime I got a stutter, I saw the corresponding dip in the graph of the GPU, and a suspicious spike in the network tab.

Upon going to performance monitor I was able to individually select items running in the network tab until I saw which service / process corresponded to the spike in the network tab.

Upon suspending dashost… no more big fps drops. I was gobsmacked that it was networking process on my system causing the GPU drops.

Admittedly I get the odd micro stutter.. but by comparison these are micro micro micro stutters and I am just nitpicking.

Feel free to ask for more info.

Devs / mods if you want my logs just say so if it will help others.

Cheers

Thrud

Update 1. System

System: I7 7700K 4.2GHZ, Gigabyte Gaming z270 K3, 32GB DDR4 3000hz, Gigabyte Aorus 1080, M.2 SSD, 2 x SATA 3 SSD. CV1 rift, TiR5, 40inch 4k screen, Dell 22inch, VKB MCG pro, TM Warthog throttle, CH pedals

Update 2.

add example.pdf of my screen showing the tabs I used to trace the problem process and screen grab of my task manager performance tab

example.pdf

20180510_191905.thumb.jpg.1be90837615e6d7e13711f09c31dec46.jpg

Edited by Von Thrud
Update.2

System: I7 7700K - Delidded. TT Cooler. 32GB 3000hz Ram, Gigabyte Aorus Ext 1080TI, SSD's, Corsair Gold 850W PSU, Philips 4K 40inch 60hz monitor, Dell 22inch Touch + Helios, Rift S, VKB MCG PRO, TM TPR pedals, TM Warthog throttle with slew mod and twist repair

Kiss4luna,

It may not be dashost on your system if the networking is not the cause.

I just found that on my system I was getting network spikes correlating to FPS / GPU drops / troughs in the graph. This led me to finding dashost.

Select individual processes with network activity to see their individual contribution to the network spikes (which is what I did) it may be another process if it is network related on your machine.

Good luck! it is a pain!

System: I7 7700K - Delidded. TT Cooler. 32GB 3000hz Ram, Gigabyte Aorus Ext 1080TI, SSD's, Corsair Gold 850W PSU, Philips 4K 40inch 60hz monitor, Dell 22inch Touch + Helios, Rift S, VKB MCG PRO, TM TPR pedals, TM Warthog throttle with slew mod and twist repair

Hey Von Thrud, typically if that dashost process is eating up your CPU or GPU, you may have an issue in Device Manager on your machine. Open that and see if you have any devices with the yellow flag. You may need a driver update or something on any device with yellow. dashost does not use any resources normally when you have no PC issues.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

all devices good. all latest drivers. dashost is not eating up gpu or cpu… it is hogging the network adaptor which caused a gpu drop … reproduceable... bizarre yes ! I don't pretend to understand it.

About the only new the thing to add was I grabbed the killer drivers from their website and install the management software so I could more aggressively turn off windows apps hogging the network as well.. dashost made the biggest difference by far.

I do I have tracker disable at the moment as I on rift. all other DM entries good.

I don't get it, however it is much better now!

Thanks for the input however.

OK, thanks for the response!

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Hi all.

For those suffering the annoying intermittent stuttering issue that seems unrelated to … well nothing. I appear to have fixed mine.

Short version. a process called "dashost" was hogging my network adaptor to the point it was causing GPU performance loss. It appears I can temp suspended to play DCS and a reboot bring it back. Ideal ? I don't mind. DCS is awesome once again with 4k tracker or rift.

How did I find this ?

I opened task manager and went to the performance tab. Everytime I got a stutter, I saw the corresponding dip in the graph of the GPU, and a suspicious spike in the network tab.

Upon going to performance monitor I was able to individually select items running in the network tab until I saw which service / process corresponded to the spike in the network tab.

Upon suspending dashost… no more big fps drops. I was gobsmacked that it was networking process on my system causing the GPU drops.

Admittedly I get the odd micro stutter.. but by comparison these are micro micro micro stutters and I am just nitpicking.

Feel free to ask for more info.

Devs / mods if you want my logs just say so if it will help others.

Cheers

Thrud

Update 1. System

System: I7 7700K 4.2GHZ, Gigabyte Gaming z270 K3, 32GB DDR4 3000hz, Gigabyte Aorus 1080, M.2 SSD, 2 x SATA 3 SSD. CV1 rift, TiR5, 40inch 4k screen, Dell 22inch, VKB MCG pro, TM Warthog throttle, CH pedals

Update 2.

add example.pdf of my screen showing the tabs I used to trace the problem process and screen grab of my task manager performance tab

Hi Von Thrud,

Yes I got suspicious of this "network" involvement yesterday as per my post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3477896

However, I don't have the computer hardware and software smarts to investigate deeper. There does seem to be something interesting going on.....

Regards,

Dave

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Hi all,

Interested to know if anyone else has had any success with this method of treating fps stters.

Also does anyone have a reason for it occurring to help me understand why!

My solution still is going extremely well for me. Still super smooth in 2.5 and even better in OB.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Stuttering

Hi All.

My fix for this still is effective though I have been using predominantly open beta for obvious reason. I mainly fly the hornet and harrier now however it still seems successful on the A10c and mirage, F5e and all maps.

For those that look that don't have the DASHOST process to kill. I have to wait for it to appear in the list, which usually coincides with the first stutter.

Coincidentally, this is also the same time I get trackIR disconnect messages. I do not have deep enough knowledge to determine any causality here.

Cheers all

Stuttering, TRACKIR, dashost

Hi All.

My fix for this still is effective though I have been using predominantly open beta for obvious reason. I mainly fly the hornet and harrier now however it still seems successful on the A10c and mirage, F5e and all maps.

For those that look that don't have the DASHOST process to kill. I have to wait for it to appear in the list, which usually coincides with the first stutter.

Coincidentally, this is also the same time I get trackIR disconnect messages. I do not have deep enough knowledge to determine any causality here.

Cheers all

Von Thrud