TM warthog joystick broken

The center play movement seems to cause the extra stress on the tailpiece. A tighter fitting part might work better. I put in thin tin as a spacer and that removes the center play and seems to help.

Can you please attach image of your solution fix?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! I've got to play with this one:

20160102_124651_zpsheh9cies.jpg

Great gimbals and great sensors. I tested my 3D printed 13 degrees angled tailpiece and paddle lever:

20160102_125212_zpsffmjixme.jpg

20160102_112218_zpswmcbceht.jpg

20160102_124833_zpsd9lp3on2.jpg

20160102_124936_zpsbbyhipqv.jpg

Both parts will need minor modifications. You can see where paint is removed, that needs to be adjusted.

20160102_133307_zpsbhkvzmiv.jpg

20160102_133314_zpsatyaepic.jpg

It worked fine, didn't break, next model will have more material and will be much stronger. I am sending this part tomorrow to a member from this forum to test it on Warthog. We'll see how long it will last. But it is cheap, it will be around 12-13 dollars, stainless steel will be around 60 dollars.

Here you can see other prints, original vs. printed:

20160102_133240_zpsdgmhrlgk.jpg

20160102_133134_zpsh45pr1st.jpg

As I said before if you need anything printed that is joystick related please contact me and I'll do it or free, but I'll need proper measurements. I'll put it on Shapeways and then everybody can print it. I add only 1 dollar on shapeways price, I need to sell 30 parts before I can get anything. So far I sold 3 parts.

Icarus,

The price is in Debolesis Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/debolestis

But await he make the revisions in 3D models like he say above.

Debolesis,

The guy there use "Acetate vapor" for smooth surfaces of printed parts - after sand with #220:

http://imgur.com/a/cL2vQ

Thank you Sokol, I heard of this process of smoothing ABS plastic with acetone. It is not necessary for white polished plastic that they have on Shapeways. It is very smooth and details are great.

Black parts are rough because it is not printed black, but painted later in the process.

Thanks Sokol1_br. I ordered them in plastic to try them. I will order the tailpiece in stainless when he is done.

debolestis,

I would like the wider channel in stainless though (it won't break and doesn't need to be narrow). I do not want to take the wires apart to thread them.

I shall put original design and modified design on Shapeways. Also 13 degrees angle version as well. I saw new purchase today and thank you for that. You'll probably have to modify parts a little bit, tailpiece as shown in pictures above and paddle lever. Lever don't have enough travel to actuate switch in Cougar, easy fix if you put something on switch or lever.

I apologize if you have problems with these models, I am doing my best to correct the issues as soon as possible.

Today I spend 4 hours working on modified tailpiece.

Thank you guys for your support.

This is the update for modified TM tailpiece:

Cross section:

TM_shaft_1_zpsrwvumcvh.jpg

It has 7mm hole through it. It is enough for Cougar connector. I hope Warthog uses similar. Connector is 8mm at widest point but it can go through if you do this:

20160103_215113_zpsv3gpneb5.jpg

And drawing TM_shaft_2_zpsbpswu8de.jpg

TM_shaft_3_zpsgsuimt0e.jpg

It is now 3,5mm longer. I also risen male connector for 2mm, you can see in photo above that there are small washers bellow connector to raise it a little, without that there was no proper contact.

I'll put it on Shapeways page tomorrow, other versions will be ready this week. Please be patient, just a few more days.

Thank you!

I have finished all of the models, below you can see 13 degrees angled version. I also added original design and modified design with more material, it should be stronger.

TM_shaft13_1_zpsz7jocbrm.jpg

TM_shaft13_2_zpsryhnwnte.jpg

TM_shaft13_3_zpssxydczzq.jpg

I hope everything will work. These tailpieces are in beta, feedback is very much needed. I hope this will help to everybody who have problems with TM sticks.

debolestis

Can you post a pic of the design change in the paddle so i can make the adjustment when my order arrives. Thanks.

Blue is new lever. You can see that back side i different. I moved it back I 3mm. I hope it will be enough to actuate the switch. If there is problems with your part, simply glue something at the back.

That is all.

pl1_zpsb8wjacfp.jpg

pl2_zpsokrfhuaw.jpg

I did not take photos of it. This should show you how I did it. It is this gap that causes the stick center play and I think the breaking tailpieces.

SF-1_zpsrrc052k9.jpg

Hi Icarus...do you have maybe a dimensionm for the hole of thin u used ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Ok i just today received my metal tail piece part...here are some pictures. It feels really strong and heavy..i dont think this one wil brake. Only 2 problems (since I ordered parts from shapeway) in early beta stage:

- the hole for plastic connector on the bottom needs to be widen

- those two wings thingie need to be narrower so i can put it through big screw which is used to mount stick on the base

It looks better in real than in photos...on photos it looks much more rugged because of light but it's almost smooth on touch.

20160108_194128.thumb.jpg.f94ce1be3708fe4d042c877c80a88fce.jpg

20160108_194153.thumb.jpg.e1f21f9df708eb9e96201601ff91c80d.jpg

20160108_215304.thumb.jpg.5af1385d8c613b227d4fc170684cd260.jpg

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

And some pictures with straight metal piece vs angled plastic one. Debolestis did a good job, and even updated the part drawing in shapeway shop so you don't have to do any modifications like in my case

20160108_215345.thumb.jpg.7824dbbd223a810ed4fb5869d8672c32.jpg

20160108_215358.thumb.jpg.b00d88677ad6653d9d02e968921e3a97.jpg

20160108_211435.thumb.jpg.014692062156cf200fc59ed655e05ca8.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

debolestis,

When will the beta parts be released as finished parts?

Soon probably, I shall order a few parts in next few days. I am expecting feedback from people who bought models. I was working today with this:

20160113_185509_zpswkxug8mn.jpg

20160113_185531_zps3akwk5jy.jpg

20160113_185537_zpsi74r8hz3.jpg

This is stainless steel print. It was very first version of tailpiece and it needed a few modifications. All those are fixed in my new models on Shapeways. If you want to order everything will probably be OK. There could be a few other small mistakes. On this print I widened hole for connector, and wings had to be trimmed a bit. There was nothing major.

What surprised me was quality of stainless steel print. Honestly I didn't know what to expect, and I thought that I can correct mistakes using dremel tool, yeah right. It is very strong and very difficult to drill, like real stainless steel, much stronger from crap alloy that TM uses. This will be a lifetime part, you can be sure of it.

If you want to order 13 degrees angle tailpiece printed in steel please wait for a day or two, I'll make it with less material. There is no need for overkill with this material. That will lover the price.

Shapeways also added aluminum printing, unfortunately it is double the price. I will add that options for my models if somebody wants it.

So your latest has all the fixes in them, correct? And it all fits well (after trimming the wings, etc.) I expect mine will break because I'm going to extend the shaft.

Thanks

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

So your latest has all the fixes in them, correct? And it all fits well (after trimming the wings, etc.) I expect mine will break because I'm going to extend the shaft.

Thanks

No need to trim anything in new models. What model do you have?

They are all still labelled "beta" on Shapeways except for the two knobs. Or have they changed? I'm confused.

I made changes, all are new models. I left them as beta because I didn't order one myself. I cannot say 100% that everything will be work, 99% I can say.

I added two new models.

TM 13 degrees angled tailpiece for metal prints. It has less material and is cheaper.

Shaft%20FLCS-13-1-M_zpsnntdo5ck.jpg

Suncom to Thrustmaster tailpiece adapter. If you want to use Suncom F15 grips with Thrustmaster's base (Cougar or Warthog) now you can. You will also need shift register PCB and connector. Gardena hose connector screw fits on this tailpiece.

Shaft%20Suncom_zps1mfirpdb.jpg

Shaft%20Suncom1_zpsmvjrgqac.jpg

I just received my 3d printed stainlessteel tailpiece..after installation i must admit i am satisfied with ruggedness and strenght of printed part.

It looks to me like my warthog is going to brake before metal tailpiece..

Thanks to debolestis from ed forums and his drawings..and shapeway site where i ordered broken part that tm support wouldnt sell me, i now have a working stick..

I would recomnend to everyone to order metal piece and also check the 13 degrees tilted one if you need more comfort when placing hand on the stick.

uploadfromtaptalk1452890177037.jpg.6ef8436ab29510efbfbf28d4c8c9b55f.jpguploadfromtaptalk1452890187185.jpg.bcc4421d4f2020f73d65108996ab9cfe.jpguploadfromtaptalk1452890196063.jpg.d15e702ddd9398b8b0ff4cdd2d35ffe9.jpg

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia