Arnaud

Hi guys,

a little bit of context here :

My old PC config :

- Intel i7-3820 (no OC)

- ASUS P9X79 PRO

- Corsair Vengeance Series 16 Go (4 x 4 Go) DDR3 2400 MHz CL10

- Win 7 Pro.

- On Dec 2015 I started playing DCS World so I bought a GTX 970 and it ran smoothly, I enjoyed it a lot.

Then, work/life and I had to pause.

- On Dec 2017 I came back to DCS to fly the M-2000C and the Harrier.

But really bad frame rate on my GTX 970, something like 30 and often less, 20-15 (on ground level, a little bit better in flight).

So I decided to upgrade my graphic card for a GTX 1080 Ti. When I received it I was really excited to test it but really disappointed when I realized that my frame rate was really bad as well.

Merely 25 and down to 10-15 when looking at buildings and so. A little bit better at high altitude but still, it's a GTX 1080 Ti, I was expecting a lot better.

So, I concluded that my bottleneck was my processor. :cry:

I was ready to try to sell back my 1080 Ti to get some cash back and forget about all this DCS hobby as I cannot afford a brand new PC configuration with global better specs.

BUT !

I tried the new 2.5 and things are completely different here :

It's running smooth as hell, nothing less than 40-50 and up to 120 at high altitude. Being on the parking and looking at building, flying low over cities, you name it, 60-80 all the way !

I'm really confused (and happy as well :thumbup:) because it's a completely different experience here for me.

But there's a question in the back of my head : WHAT DO I GET WRONG HERE ?

(Sorry for my english, am French :noexpression:).

Edited by Arnaud

First thing for me - at the moment we have only beta of 2.5 so it is not final product, second - engine of dcs is very unoptimized, especially in the vr area ;( you need nasa computer to play at 45 fps or lower...

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

First, welcome back to DCS!

Your best bet is to spend several hours with the graphics settings (I know, not all that much fun). I was struggling with FPS in v2.2 and found that MSAA setting had a large impact, but in v2.5 MSAA at x2 and my FPS is ROCK SOLID at 60 FPS (with VSync turned on).

Drop your settings to low/off and give DCS a try, hopefully your FPS skyrockets and then you can begin the climb on settings to find what is killing your FPS and finally settle into a "sweetspot" for you between eye-candy and FPS.

Good luck and post questions/findings for the rest of us!

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried the new 2.5 and things are completely different here :

It's running smooth as hell, nothing less than 40-50 and up to 120 at high altitude. Being on the parking and looking at building, flying low over cities, you name it, 60-80 all the way !

I'm really confused (and happy as well :thumbup:) because it's a completely different experience here for me.

But there's a question in the back of my head : WHAT DO I GET WRONG HERE ?

(Sorry for my english, am French :noexpression:).

Probably nothing. 2.5 is more optimized than the old Caucasus map (I assume that's the map we're talking about). Enjoy.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Yes, I was talking about Caucasus map and I was expecting the 2.5 OB to be more demanding than the 1.5.8.

In the end it turns out that the 2.5 is indeed more optimized and am glad I don't have to give up....

Thank's guys for your answers.

I too have had underwhelming results with 2.2 and 1.5

Suddenly, with 2.5 I can run on maximum with everything looking amazing and still get a solid 60fps! From what I've read, 2.5 is using multi core processors fully instead of just 2 cores as before. I think it's brilliant, a few bugs, but imagine what it will be like in 6 months time!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, Asus 470ROG MB, 32GB Vengeance 3200 DDR4 RAM, GTX 1070 GPU, Samsung evo850 1TB SSD, HTC VIVE. Warthog, Trackir.: :cry:

From what I've read, 2.5 is using multi core processors fully instead of just 2 cores as before.

Please check your source as we never heard about multicore utilization in DCS :music_whistling:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Please check your source as we never heard about multicore utilization in DCS :music_whistling:

Post by Mr Sukebe, it may be wrong but that's my source...

"Currently using an i5 2500@4ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD drive, Rift. I use Process Lasso to assist and MSI Afterburner (not to overclock, but to keep an eye on my GPU).

Have been playing around with settings for the last couple of hours. Some interesting findings:

- 2.5 appears to have gone multi-core for the CPU! Both task manager and Afterburner are showing CPU loadings to be well spread across all 4 cores. AWESOME. It was also not 100% maxed at any time, though clearly well used. The rough mean was around 65% for each core.

That's a seriously good win.

- Total system usage was 9GB of ram (for everything, i.e. Windows, DCS, Afterburner, Process Lasso, Voiceattack etc, whilst running a mission on Cauc).

- Deferred shading still doesn't really like MSAA. When I turned on MSAA, resulted in a hit on my frame rates that was resulting in too much time below 45hz for my Rift. I disabled MSAA and that helped

- With DS and MSAA enabled, I was getting a LOT of stutters. From investigation, it was NOT my CPU or GPU being maxed out on workload. Both were running circa 60-70%. I did however find that my GPU Memory usage was absolutely maxed out at just under 8GB. by disabling MSAA, that GPU Ram usage dropped to circa 7.6GB and it ran MUCH better, with very few frame drops

- Reduced pre-load radius also seemed to help, but I need to investigate and test that further

- I maxed out my "trees" setting and in Cauc, I could see no frame rate impact. Very nice

Overall, and GOOD improvement, once I'd fiddled with my settings a bit.

More importantly, that's identified the key bottleneck for me, i.e. my GPU RAM. Hopefully ED can offload a little of that to the system ram without too much impact."

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, Asus 470ROG MB, 32GB Vengeance 3200 DDR4 RAM, GTX 1070 GPU, Samsung evo850 1TB SSD, HTC VIVE. Warthog, Trackir.: :cry: