DCS: Spitfire Mk LF IXc Discussion

Yo-Yo

what other training missions are there?

Only the "basic four": 1) startup; 2) taxi & takeoff; 3) pattern & landing & shutdown (similar to P-51 mission) and 4) gunnery against two drone targets. All are voiced over by Smudge.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's an automatic radiator on off switch under the rudder / pitch trim wheels try turning that to the on position, to activate the radiator flaps under the wings, they should open automaticaly when oil temp goes over 115C

thanks guys for the info, also I wonder if this plane has tail locking wheel ?

RYZEN 7 1800X 3.5ghz / 32 DDR4 RAM Crucial / Nvidia 2070 RTX EVGA / Samsung SSD 500 GB / Acer XB270H G-Sync / Trackir 5 / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog / Oculus CV1

thanks guys for the info, also I wonder if this plane has tail locking wheel ?
No, she haven't.

Love it :pilotfly:, I'm starting to get used to it (a bit at least). The only thing I have experienced like that in my life was a Tiger Moth, so sensitive at the controls you should get used to "think" better than move the stick, Spit reminds me of that. Tricky at the taxi, not only to get in/off the runway, but in the take off roll and landing run so you have to use the brakes to steer and if you play the rudder back and forth so you have to do with the brakes. Really nice. Pitty not having a notch to know what's the real trim wheel position sometimes fools you and it's a nasty surprise.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Brakes and tail wheel work really different in this bird and it's the hardest yet to controll on the runway. One brake controll on the stick operates left or right wheel brake or both depending on the rudder pedal position. The tail wheel just floats as far as I have been able to determine so far. Once you get it lined up on the runway it is pretty easy to stay on the runway for takeoff with just rudder control but I am having a really hard time staying on the runway when braking durring landing. It takes dierrent reflexes I don't quite have yet

slyfly

Love the module so far.

However, I feel like the view through the prop needs a little work. Isn't it a Tad Heavy? Might just be my old eyes though. Spotting a Target straight ahead is going to be an issue with it the way it is.. If it is correct, so be it.

I'm not complaining here and I know it's early...Just makes me feel better to mention it.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

First impressions are very good. One slight issue for VR users is that you have a real struggle getting the canopy closed. A n additional click zone on the canopy rail when the canopy is open would really be useful I feel.

Our first online session with the Spitfire went well, apart from the re-arming issue that has already been mentioned.

Having all the essentials, and a feature complete module is excellent. Very nice work ED!

Love the module so far.

However, I feel like the view through the prop needs a little work. Isn't it a Tad Heavy? Might just be my old eyes though. Spotting a Target straight ahead is going to be an issue with it the way it is.. If it is correct, so be it.

I'm not complaining here and I know it's early...Just makes me feel better to mention it.

A tad heavy is a tad of an understatement :D. Like an early DCS Bf-109 release (adjusted later), it's just too dark in the first place - the real thing doesn't look like that neither "live" nor on videos, unless in very specific conditions. It also causes frame rate issues for some users so I'd expect it to be tuned in next patches.

Not happy about machine gun sounds, which resemble slow-firing M2HB .050s rather than Colt-Brownings .303s, firing at 1100+ rounds per minute. Haven't had a closer look at the files, but I guess these might be placeholder samples taken from some other combat vehicle in DCS.

Too slow response of elevator trim when assigned to hat switch (and too fast response of rudder trim in the same scenario) have been mentioned in other threads already.

Propeller sound pitch in external view is very high and doesn't match the pitch in the cockpit view.

Other than that, I can't complain much about this early release. Very interesting and challenging bird to learn, I like it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Too slow response of elevator trim when assigned to hat switch (and too fast response of rudder trim in the same scenario) have been mentioned in other threads already.

Definitely agree with that, one of the first things I noticed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Regarding landing - when do I switch from ram air to filtered air?

The best time to switch to the filter is be on final approach, at the same time that the undercarriage and flaps are lowered. During take-off, the Pilot's Notes recommend switching to ram air at 1,000 ft.

Hopefully, ED will be kind to us and their Normandy airfields will be dust (*cough!*) free (*hack!*)...like this one:

spitfire%20in%20dust_zpsmv1dfunj.jpg

(NB: the silicates in the soils around Normandy were very hard, and could quickly cause serious damage to an aero-engine, as the Typhoon units found out shortly after arriving post-D-Day.)

Edited by Friedrich-4/B

Forgive me if I haven't searched hard enough but I do not see the Spitfire in my Kickstarters backed projects section.

See the attached image. I don't see the option to "request Key". My computer's been very uncooperative so I can't embed the image from imgur.

http://imgur.com/a/jbTMl

EDIT: NEVERMIND I'M SILLY I FOUND IT. DCS E-shop page. Derp.

Edited by SgtPappy
EDIT: I derped

• 9 months later...
I would love to see a Seafire variant and a UK carrier from the WW2 period.

Pilots were not that much enthousiastic in these times about the Seafire: her carrier abilities were not great and also her range was not very good.

Therefore, pilots preferred the Wildcat and Hellcat (and even the difficult to land Corsair).

Edited by wavn

Best regards, Willem